Quantcast

Royal Purple for oil in an 07 boxxer Team rebuild?

Apr 10, 2007
Hi guys, searched but didn't find much info on this. I was wondering if anyone's used Royal Purple as fork oil in a rebuild? I've seen Redline mentioned before, and Royal Purple is basically the same stuff right? I have some 5W-30 and 10W-30 left over, can I put this stuff in the lower legs? I think one leg is only for stantion lubrication. But the other leg is used for dampening, right? Is this stuff ok?

I'm not planning on touching anything else, just replacing oil/dust seals and wipers and adding new oil. This fork isn't open bath (I believe) so what's this oil doing actually? rebound dampening? Thanks!

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
Hi guys, searched but didn't find much info on this. I was wondering if anyone's used Royal Purple as fork oil in a rebuild? I've seen Redline mentioned before, and Royal Purple is basically the same stuff right? I have some 5W-30 and 10W-30 left over, can I put this stuff in the lower legs? I think one leg is only for stantion lubrication. But the other leg is used for dampening, right? Is this stuff ok?

I'm not planning on touching anything else, just replacing oil/dust seals and wipers and adding new oil. This fork isn't open bath (I believe) so what's this oil doing actually? rebound dampening? Thanks!
Should be ok for the lowers, which is just lubricating oil in both sides. The damper is located in the upper right leg and requires whatever oil is recommended. The damper oil and the lubricating oil bath are separated but both in the right leg, one in the lowers and one in the top of the stanchion. I tried using fork oil with higher viscosity some years ago to increase damping in an old Boxxer and it didn't work out, in fact it bent the damper rod and made the fork way, way too stiff and I didn't think it was that much of a change in viscosity.

Last edited: