Quantcast

Rp23 dh

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Is there such a thing?

I'm not talking about an XC shock on a DH bike, or even an air shock here. I am surprised how often I use the Pro Pedal switch on my 575 to 'lock out' the rear end. Got me thinking that my DH bike is also used all over the mountain and not just on DH tracks. Similarly, I have raced tracks that a bar-mounted button/switch would have been great for pedally section or sprints...

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
What are you after exactly? Pro pedal switch on a DH bike? FFS, why?

The DHX-A now has an RP23 style pro pedal switch if you really want that. But it's also a turd.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
I live in one of the biggest mountainbike regions in the world. We have loads of chairlifts linking 12 different resorts, all of which feed dedicated dh trails. However, there is quite a lot of pedalling involved between places, some of which a 9 inch travel bike is a pain in the arse to pedal.
Add to that, there are a few race tracks where a pedally section or a smoothish finishline sprint could be improved without that pogo stick effect...

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I don't know why people think this is so ridiculous. I think it's a great idea- sure it would add complexity, but I'm just suprised that people aren't more into this based on the fact that many people are into dialing in bikes perfectly for terrain. I mean, going fast down the steep and rough is the most fun, but tuning a bike for that alone seems like an oversight based on the fact that not every trail has continuous steep, rough and fast conditions. Sure tuning a bike for pedally and rough, you will cut corners (think old manitou swinger), but if there was a good lockout or propedal available for dh shocks, I think it would be rad! Potentially no loss of bump-eating awesomeness for when the going gets rough...
Look at guys running lockouts and all of that craziness at worlds last year. I'm sure the average joe on a dh bike sees quite a bit of pedally terrain like that from time to time.

Last edited:

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
I believe both Barel ,Gee and maybe others had a "switch" like that on their bikes for the worlds in Canberra last year and yet...the race was won by Steve Peat on a 10" travel bike.

The idea makes sense but I just dont think it makes a real noticeable performance gain at this point.One think I do like about the pro-pedal on my trail bike, is the ability to have two "different" set up went I take it to the park.

Full open for most of the stuff but I on trails like Dirt Merchant , I like running the shock with the pro pedal engaged...I could see it being a nice option for a DH bike...Not a lock -out per say but say a plush and a firm set up with the flick of a lever . . . could be fun.

Last edited:

4130biker

May 24, 2007
I believe both Barel ,Gee and maybe others had a "switch" like that on their bikes for the worlds in Canberra last year and yet...the race was won by Steve Peat on a 10" travel bike.
Good point- ^^^

I agree, for instance, propedal on the dhx5 coil doesn't really make a noticeable "pedaling" difference, but it seems like someone could make something that is closer to a lockout for pedaling a dh bike. Full on lockout would probably not be ideal as was pointed out already.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Eah, not locked out as such, more like what my RP23 has where it stiffens it out.

I'm no suspension guru and don't know suspension terms, but I love that after climbing on my trail bike with the switch to the '3' position, then taking it off and descending without it and having it all nice and plush again is awesome.
I think my 303 having these pedalling capabilities would be good.

Gridds

Monkey
Dec 18, 2008
Great Britain
Yeah I agree that something like this would be a good idea. Especially for somewhere like the PDS, there it would be awesome - it's not all about just nailing DH race runs, there is alot of pedalling about the place to get around between all the awesome DH runs, like Damo and goodgrief have said.

Surely it wouldn't be hard to engineer into a DH shock?

4130biker

May 24, 2007
Surely it wouldn't be hard to engineer into a DH shock?
I don't think so either- but I think public opinion/purchasing is at the other end of the spectrum. Give it a few years and the idea will become popular again, like in 2005. :p