Quantcast

rp3 air pressure

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
No. It really depends on the bike as to what pressures that the RP3 should be set up with. Most bike manufacturers' provide you with some sort of pressure guidelines. Otherwise you can use the method described in the manual by pressurizing the shock to get the appropriate sag.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
No, it's not the same as the pressure chart for the Brain.

Your best bet is to set sag with your CG in the position you want the suspension to work best in.
If its a light XC bike you are most likely concerned primarilly with climbing performance so you'd want to be seated with your weight split mostly between the saddle and BB as if you were climbing.

For a trail bike you want your CG to be more centered etc.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Damn True said:
No, it's not the same as the pressure chart for the Brain.

Your best bet is to set sag with your CG in the position you want the suspension to work best in.
If its a light XC bike you are most likely concerned primarilly with climbing performance so you'd want to be seated with your weight split mostly between the saddle and BB as if you were climbing.

For a trail bike you want your CG to be more centered etc.
oh, yea that dude already said that.
thanks.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
From my experience with air shox I find that sag isn't the best way to set them up.

What I usually do is take all the air out before going out for a ride and fully compress the shock. Mark where full travel is either with a sharpie or a piece of electrical tape.

Add air to suggested manufacturer PSI

Carry your shock pump with you during your ride...and +/- air until you get full travel on either hard hits or drops. (use the o-ring to see if you’re getting full travel). Then keep note of that setting (psi) since you might want to run lighter psi’s for buffed trails where there aren’t that many hard hits…but run higher psi’s for more gnarly type trails.

my $0.02 worth.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Acadian said:
From my experience with air shox I find that sag isn't the best way to set them up.

What I usually do is take all the air out before going out for a ride and fully compress the shock. Mark where full travel is either with a sharpie or a piece of electrical tape.

Add air to suggested manufacturer PSI

Carry your shock pump with you during your ride...and +/- air until you get full travel on either hard hits or drops. (use the o-ring to see if you’re getting full travel). Then keep note of that setting (psi) since you might want to run lighter psi’s for buffed trails where there aren’t that many hard hits…but run higher psi’s for more gnarly type trails.

my $0.02 worth.
that's great if there were a suggested manufacturer PSI...

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
The Toninator said:
that's great if there were a suggested manufacturer PSI...
Whose the manufacturer of the bike we are talking about? I'd be surprised if a frame manufacturer wasn't providing some sort of recommendations.

You can still do what Acadian says if you go ahead mark full travel and instead of setting to the mfg. suggestions, set the sag to 25% and then use his method.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
DRB said:
You can still do what Acadian says if you go ahead mark full travel and instead of setting to the mfg. suggestions, set the sag to 25% and then use his method.
:thumb: :thumb:

I did just that this past Sunday when dialing in my new Pushed AVA.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
DRB said:
Whose the manufacturer of the bike we are talking about? I'd be surprised if a frame manufacturer wasn't providing some sort of recommendations.

racer x

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
I guess you have this:

SETTING SAG/AIR PRESSURE AND SPRING RATE:

When setting up your Racer X, it is important to have the suspension compress slightly (sag) when sitting on the bike. Setting the proper amount of sag will allow the bike to follow the terrain better and maintain proper frame angles. The proper sag setting also determines the air pressure or spring rate so that major adjustments will not be required on the trail.

Follow the steps outlined below:

Place a zip tie around the shock shaft (your shock may already have an o-ring).

Slide the tie or o-ring up to the base of the shock body.

Sit on the bike with your full weight on the saddle.

Look down and make sure the tie is still against the shock body, and then slowly step off the bike.

Measure the distance between the shock body and the zip tie/o-ring. The proper measurement should be between 3/8 and 1/2 inch (9.5-12.5mm).

Adjust pressure up or down accordingly. Only use a rear shock specific pump, such as those offered by Fox or Risse.

Re-check your settings after a few rides. The shock seals will break in and the pressure will need to be adjusted

http://www.titusti.com/racerx_om.html