Quantcast

RS Lyrik RC2 DH

DHperu

Monkey
Apr 14, 2005
Hey people! does anybody have any ridetime on the new lyrik RC2 DH damper??? be it on a air or coil lyrik? Im currently running the base level Lyrik U-turn IS on my remedy and am looking for a performance upgrade for the downhills. My only hesitation for buying the new damper is if the fork will be TOO plush when i'm pedalling uphill.

what do you guys think?

thanks!

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
I have been running the 2010 Lyrik 2 Step Air on my Remedy. It’s my second Remedy build with a Lyrik. I had the IS Solo Air on my first build. I will say that the High and Low Speed Motion Control makes a big difference over the IS. Plus due to you having a IS you can do the Mod by taken out the Flood Gate. That really opens her up, more like a DH fork. Your U-Turn Coil or Air sprung? If it’s Coil sprung, then I would move to the Air. Much better!!!!! If you want a 2010 Lyrik 2 step Air, I have one for sale $525. (Yes SPAM) It’s a deal as the fork has maybe 28 rides on it over 5 months and is in great shape. I am only selling it because I have my 2011 fork on the way.

Cecil

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
I will say that the High and Low Speed Motion Control makes a big difference over the IS. Plus due to you having a IS you can do the Mod by taken out the Flood Gate. That really opens her up, more like a DH fork.
Lyrik DH has LSC/HSC and no floodgate, the regular Lyrik FR or whatever has the floodgate.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Hey Cecil,

It sounds like you have a lot of experience tuning your lyrik. Have you tried heavier oil to get more compression out of the fork?

For me the only thing this fork lacks is LS compression. Do you have any tips (I have the mission control setup) on fixing this flaw?

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Can you give some details on this mod. I did a few searches and couldn't turn up anything.

Edit: for anyone interested, check out this vid on PB.

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/146846/
That Video is where I learned the Mod. As for heavier oil, I haven't tried it yet, but do replace my oil when needed myself. It’s very easy. So I guess trying the heavier oil is in the near future for me.

Cecil

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
For me the only thing this fork lacks is LS compression. Do you have any tips (I have the mission control setup) on fixing this flaw?
I found this problem on my old Totem. Had to do with the oil level. I would try a little over what stock is. This will help the LS work better. The RS Tech at the US Open showed me this.

Cecil

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Thanks for the tip! I'm gonna try this mod asap (looks pretty easy) and top off with a little extra oil.

How much extra are we talking? Is 1 or 2 cc enough? I know that these forks have a problem with reduced travel if over filled.

Does the extra oil advice go for the lower leg (rebound) volume as well?

Last edited:

Supa8

Monkey
May 3, 2002
Middle of MA
Lyrik DH and dual flow rebound upgrade is night and day different than the standard Lyrik Comp and rebound assemblies. I have both a 2010 Boxxer world cup and an 09 Lyrik with the upgraded Lyrik DH comp and dual flow rebound assemblies. With the Lyrik DH internals it feels like a mini Boxxer. Fork dive is eliminated and LS compression is very, very good. Very impressed.

vikingboy

Monkey
Dec 15, 2009
On an air fork is it better to run a lower air pressure and more hi/lo speed compression or more air and less compression dialled in? Which way allows for a more optimal setup or does it make no difference?

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
On an air fork is it better to run a lower air pressure and more hi/lo speed compression or more air and less compression dialled in? Which way allows for a more optimal setup or does it make no difference?
on my lyrik and Totem (both of which i upgraded this summer w/ the 2010 DH damper), i prefer a bit more psi and less compr damping, after doing some comparisons. YMMV.

DHperu

Monkey
Apr 14, 2005
Lyrik DH it is! now, i've read that in order to fit the DH damper you also have to change the rebound damper, can anybody confirm this????

im sure its going to be WAAAY better than my IS i just wanted to make sure it wasn't way to plush for the uphill pedalling (don't want to be bobbing up and down)

oh my lyrik is a coil by the way...

Last edited:

Supa8

Monkey
May 3, 2002
Middle of MA
Lyrik DH it is! now, i've read that in order to fit the DH damper you also have to change de rebound damper, can anybody confirm this????

im sure its going to be WAAAY better than my IS i just wanted to make sure it wasn't way to plush for the uphill pedalling (don't want to be bobbing up and down)
Yes you need both the Lyrik DH comp and dual flow rebound assemblies. Lyrik DH assembly pushes quite a bit more Comp fluid than the stock fluid levels. You also remove the rebound sleeve the stock rebound assembly sits in. The dual flow rebound is a much larger assembly and it slides directly into the stanchion versus the stock assembly fitting in the sleeve first. The weight of more fluid versus losing the sleeve is close to even.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
No, you can just pop in the DH damper. I did that to mine. Its a night and day difference.

The standard Lyrik is aimed at all mountain/ xc riders, so staying high in its travel is important, as is keeping the movement very controlled.

I found that as soon as I popped in the DH damper, the fork felt "free", in that it was allowed to more more, be more active, and generally let loose. Its like it opened up, and the damper was finally allowed ot really shine. Its much more fluid, its more plush, and its considerably more fun to blast down stuff.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
Yes you need both the Lyrik DH comp and dual flow rebound assemblies. Lyrik DH assembly pushes quite a bit more Comp fluid than the stock fluid levels. You also remove the rebound sleeve the stock rebound assembly sits in. The dual flow rebound is a much larger assembly and it slides directly into the stanchion versus the stock assembly fitting in the sleeve first. The weight of more fluid versus losing the sleeve is close to even.
No, you do not need the dual flow rebound. Fork works well with the old rebound + new DH compr damper in my experience. Yes, for best performance, upgrade the rebound damper as well as the compression damper, but there are a lot of riders out there who a) only upgraded the compr damper to the 2010 DH, or b) just modified the old damper so the floodgate was removed, and adjusted oil viscosity if needed. and kept the old rebound damping, obviously.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Just modified the old damper so the floodgate was removed, and adjusted oil viscosity if needed.
I'm trying to get some guidance on this, the only problem I have with my Lyrik is the lack of LS compression. I have gone OTB on too many corners due to excessive dive.

Do you have experience using heavier oil to get more LS compression? If so what weight are you using? Does it screw up the HS compression?

I am going to do the flood gate mod this weekend and I think I will try some heavier oil so I am trying to figure out what weight to throw in.

Supa8

Monkey
May 3, 2002
Middle of MA
No, you do not need the dual flow rebound. Fork works well with the old rebound + new DH compr damper in my experience. Yes, for best performance, upgrade the rebound damper as well as the compression damper, but there are a lot of riders out there who a) only upgraded the compr damper to the 2010 DH, or b) just modified the old damper so the floodgate was removed, and adjusted oil viscosity if needed. and kept the old rebound damping, obviously.
I am sure it works OK with out the dual flow rebound assembly. With the dual rebound assembly it is optimum and performance is impressive. If that is what he is after as an upgrade its best to combine the two. Either way its far better than the stock Lyrik comp assembly.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Sorry to derail, but it is Lyric DH related.

I had a terrible creak in the headset of my SS last week. I took the bike in yesterday and the LBS is saying the steer tube on my Lyrik DH is creaking at the steer tube/crown area. They said its actually loose. The fork is a 2010. Is this common or has anyone heard of this happening? The fork is almost new, but I have been riding the SS hard since my 951 was "getting fixed."

grooveninja

Chimp
Aug 30, 2010
Has anyone seen/rode the 2011 RC2 DH? As I understand it, the only difference is the new coating and I'm curious if its actually worth waiting/paying for vs. a 2010 on sale?

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
I am sure it works OK with out the dual flow rebound assembly. With the dual rebound assembly it is optimum and performance is impressive. If that is what he is after as an upgrade its best to combine the two. Either way its far better than the stock Lyrik comp assembly.
Supa8 is spot on. Both the new MC damper and rebound assembly were designed to work together. I have tried running an older Lyrik with just the new Mission Control DH Damper - then with both the Damper and new rebound assembly and the full upgrade is what I recommend.

If you ever happen to warranty an older (defective or leaky) MC damper - SRAM will warranty it with a new one. Not only will they send you a new MC but they will also send you a new rebound assembly.

I think I read someone recommending running more air pressure and a bit less damping - that's what I also ended up doing when I moved to thew setup.

For oil levels in the damping leg I always use levels instead of volumes. Independent of the damper year - the oil height (when Lowers are on) for the MC & MC DH Lyriks is 85mm from the top of the upper tubes. Always measure after cycling the fork a few times.

DHperu

Monkey
Apr 14, 2005
thanks for the help guys, i just ordered the DH and Rebound Dampers from my LBS, it seems Sram doesn't have stock of both at the moment, i'll just have to wait for a while, hope it doesn't take too long.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
I have been on the 2010 solo dh for several months and love it, light, stiff plush. I have it on my 09 Reign X and ride everything at Diablo on it. I have had 2 Marz 66 rc3x's (07&08)on my SXT and have a float 36rc2 (09). I find the Lyrik to be the best out of all of them so far. Only thing hindering my Reign is the DHX 5 air...Vivid air in the future..maybe after it is out for awhile.
Kntr...no creaking or flex from the crown after 2 months of really hard riding. Maybe it is a limited issue. Every production item has flaws here and there.
I can say Sram's cs is excellent so you should be taken care of.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Kntr...no creaking or flex from the crown after 2 months of really hard riding. Maybe it is a limited issue. Every production item has flaws here and there.
I can say Sram's cs is excellent so you should be taken care of.
The LBS sent it in and RS is going to replace the CSU.