Quantcast

RS Pilot-80 or 100mm?

coolhand

Chimp
Sep 30, 2004
I acquired a new 04 model Rock Sox Pilot XC and was wondering whether it was 80 or 100mm. Ive see that they come in both, but is there any way to tell?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Take a zip tie, tie it to one of the stanchions (The shiny silver things that go into the legs/sliders), press it to the bottom of the stanchion, then compress the fork as much as you can (To the point where it bottoms out). Proceed to measure the distance from the bottom of the stanchion to where your zip tie now is. Thats how much travel you're getting. Usually by measuring how much stanchion is exposed you can find out how much travel you have, but there is a difference.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
coolhand said:
why are pilots crap?
it depends on what you're doing with it. The fork is a cross country fork, i believe it's an air fork? If you're just goofing around intermediate trails it should be fine. But Rock Shox are fairly notorious for being fragile and flexy when you get more on the aggressive side of riding. So if you're having problems navigating a turn on a downhill slope don't be so convinced it's your fault it could be that "noodle" of a fork you have up front. ;)

Just a tip, the Fox Talas is the bee's knee's of air forks nowadays. :dancing:

J

JRB

The bad thing about a pilot besides weight is a small steel stanchion. I have seen 2 on friends bikes and they both bent the stanchions. That is all I know. There are better options.

As far as 80 or 100, I would say call sram. They have always helped me.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Pilots are coil (and I think MCU...I don't know, too lazy to check :p) sprung with "air assist". I've ridden them before. They're flexier than a limp noodle, and they suck on just about...anything. Suspension is one area on the bike where I recommend spending a good chunk of change to get a decent fork. Pilots are not decent forks, but if it's what you've got, ride it and make it work for you.