Quantcast

RS Reverb

Willy Vanilly

Monkey
Jul 27, 2003
San Jose
Anyone know what the black alloy piece that comes with the new Reverbs does? It was in the same bag as the "enduro collar". Kind of looks like you could use it to guide the hose but I don't see why they'd make it out of metal. Thanks.

Willy Vanilly

Monkey
Jul 27, 2003
San Jose
Ah. Got it. Thanks! Anyone keeping the extra hose around the post ? Seems like a cool idea and keeps that huge loop from forming w/ the saddle down but not sure if there would be any drawbacks...

Photo from VitalMTB

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
i never liked wrapping dropper post cables around the post itself since it could get caught up preventing raising/lowering. thankfully since the Reverb is hydraulic, it would be easier to do then a cable based system

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
That makes sense. I'll give it a try tonight and if it looks like it could catch on anything I'll just shorten the hose. Thank IH8R
yeah, cable routing is a trial and error thing with dropper posts. it took me a few rides to get my cable routing dialed on my KS Supernatural. itll also take a few rides to find out where the "hot spots" are (cable rub.)

Willy Vanilly

Monkey
Jul 27, 2003
San Jose
Hey IH8R, thanks for the info.

You using friction paste or just installing dry (no grease)? I was thinking about doing the install w/o grease but wasn't sure about Al to Al siezing. Also found somewhere the someone was using toothpaste. Minty....

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Hey IH8R, thanks for the info.

You using friction paste or just installing dry (no grease)? I was thinking about doing the install w/o grease but wasn't sure about Al to Al siezing. Also found somewhere the someone was using toothpaste. Minty....
i used grease for the first install but after actually reading the instructions to learn about the post, i took all the grease out before the customer picked it up and replaced with friction paste. the manual specifically states multiple times to use friction paste and i didnt want to customer to have any issues.

i use grease on my KS for what its worth. i also would never install a post without some type of lube. ive seen too many stuck seatposts in my day that id rather take two seconds to coat the seat tube in lube then try and spend hours trying to remove a stuck post.

ltr450rider

Chimp
Jun 17, 2010
Goleta, CA
Friction paste is really the best way to go with alot of applications anymore. Anything that is a "Slip" interface deserves it. Grease was only used on seatposts to keep corrosion at bay and the paste serves the same purpose these days. With so many pinch bolts being low torque specs these days, it is almost mandatory.

The only grease I use anymore is on threaded bottom brackets, seat post collars, headset cups and bearings, and a few bolts. Most bolts get blue loctite.

I would definately NOT wrap the hose around the post, make it as short as possible and that wil decrease your loop in the down position.

Willy Vanilly

Monkey
Jul 27, 2003
San Jose
hey ltr450rider, any specific reason that you recommend NOT wrapping the hose around the post? bad experience with it? just want to understand your reasoning before potentially lopping off another section of hydraulic line. thanks!

ltr450rider

Chimp
Jun 17, 2010
Goleta, CA
hey ltr450rider, any specific reason that you recommend NOT wrapping the hose around the post? bad experience with it? just want to understand your reasoning before potentially lopping off another section of hydraulic line. thanks!
I guess I cant really say much since I have the "Stealth" routing through my frame, :D , but i personally wouldnt like how the hose would make a big loop around the seatpost when in the down position. It seems like it might also put a bit of a kink in the hose in the down postition. It also looks there would be some rub issues with the hose wrapped around at the silver collar there.

I cant really point out any huge dissadvantage to wrapping it, I just wouldnt personally run it like that. The loop formed in the down postition really isnt that bad when shortened to the right length.

Just my personal opinion.