Quantcast

RS SID rear shock woes

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Xposted from Tech section:

So near the end of my ride on Sunday I hear a gnarly top-out clunking noise coming from my rear shock. Sure enough, when I get down to the car I discover that I have NO damping left. Which results in my shock topping out on my pivot ('01 Giant NRS).

So has anyone had this happen? Is it a user-servicable failure? Or should I just suck it up and send it in to RS?

Thanks,

-S.S.-

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
i've heard from my mechanic that everything besides Fox and Cane Creek rear shocks are super complicated to repair. Best bet is to try to get it warrantied thru RS and if they give you a hassle drop em, fork over some cash, and get a real shock.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Originally posted by Skookum
i've heard from my mechanic that everything besides Fox and Cane Creek rear shocks are super complicated to repair. Best bet is to try to get it warrantied thru RS and if they give you a hassle drop em, fork over some cash, and get a real shock.
Luckily, I just happen to have a Cane Creek AD-10 the right size in my shed (on my old Trek Y-bike). Was going to get the RS fixed as a backup. Fit-kit for the CC is on the way.......

-S.S.-

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
Your AD-10 should work fine for now. You may run into problems with your rear suspension bobbing. The NRS is designed to run with the shock topped out. So be sure you get a new shock that will allow you to set it up with no sag. The float, regardless of pressure, will sag a certain amount. Just check with your dealer which shock will work before you buy.

Shredder

Chimp
Sep 28, 2003
Bellingham, WA
You can send it to RS, but it will cost around $100 to have it rebuilt. you can get a rebuild kit for cheaper, but then you need a special type of spanner wrench to open the shock, but i don't think it is too hard to rebuild.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Just rename it to your ex-RS Sid Shock.... It's toast and for what your going to need to fix it....you could get a new one on e-bay..... Sorry to hear about it though.......jdcamb