Quantcast

RS Yari acts up during cold weather

bonky

Chimp
Jan 22, 2016
Recently got some issues with my Yari - when the weather gets cold and damp (around 6 C/42 F) it starts to behave strangely, stiffening up after about half an hour. When compressing it off the bike it acts sort of normal at the first push, then stiffens up even further with every consecutive push until it barely moves anymore..

When I put it away in a warm place it works normal again after about half an hour, which leads me to believe this has something to do with temperature. When looking for suspension fluid I couldn't find much, looking for 5WT oil, is there a difference between this and the stuff rated 5W? What do others use for their RS forks? Or has the oil become contaminated, leading to this issue?

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
My guess is that you are using the wrong type of oil on the damper leg. This fork is designed around an oil with 15cSt at +40°C. 5wt does not mean much...

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
The Yari damper doesn't do well with repeat hits. The Avalanche Damper is the worry free option. The airshaft needs to be greased better than it comes from the factory.

shirk007

Monkey
Apr 14, 2009
On the topic of Yari...apparently the 2019 oem ones come with a RS variation of the GRIP damper.