Quantcast

Rubber chainstay protectors (adhesive)

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
You know those narrow black absorbent rubber chainstay protectors you can buy at your LBS (stick on)? Anyone know if you can buy those in sheets? and where?

ssaddict

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
I haven't really looked for it, but now i'm curious. I'll bet you could find some weather stripping for door's and stuff that would probably work.

AZRacerX

Monkey
Mar 4, 2003
Kent, WA
Luc, it's not rubber but what about grip tape for skateboards? That comes in sheets and sticks super good and would probably look cool too.

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
Acadian, I have an answer for you!

I use a 3M product, just as you are explaining.....

I picked it up at the moto shop....

Go in and go to the dirt bike section of the shop, look for number plates......

In the number plates area they should have a product that is made for covering numbers on number plates to help protect them or even set different colored backgrounds.

It's very very sticky, doesn't bubble, and comes in clear...... It's really good stuff! I use it on my stays, headtube, and any other spot I need to protect from shoe, or cable rub.....

it comes in the shapes of number plates, big sheets! so you can cut it to whatever shape you need...

edit:
also, there is even a thicker product that 3M makes, when I was checking up on this, they also make a product that's clear and is made to stick on to the front of cars/trucks so on to protect from road grit/bugs on the front end of a vehicle, if you just find a 3M dealer or authorized service place or whatever, I had one offer me there scraps......

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
Originally posted by Acadian
it's not tick enough - won't reduce chain slap noise. I tried some of that Carbon 3M stuff (you can buy sheets of it at your local MX store) and indeed protected the frame, and it's super durable, but just didn't stop the noise, and you know how I like my bikes to be silent!! ;)
yeah the stuff I mentioned wont really stop noise either.......

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Originally posted by AZRacerX
Luc, it's not rubber but what about grip tape for skateboards? That comes in sheets and sticks super good and would probably look cool too.
It leaves a nasty residue when you peel it off.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Acadian, if you're looking for suggestions, go into your local hardware store, they should have this great rubber "tape" that is non-adhesive. It sticks to itself when stretched. You can layer it as thick as you want, stops the noise, and peels off clean. I'll see if I can find a link to some online.

prerogative

Chimp
Aug 1, 2002
Danvers, MA
Originally posted by binary visions
Acadian, if you're looking for suggestions, go into your local hardware store, they should have this great rubber "tape" that is non-adhesive. It sticks to itself when stretched. You can layer it as thick as you want, stops the noise, and peels off clean. I'll see if I can find a link to some online.
Above explains what I use, and is called self-almagamating tape. It bonds to itself only (when stretched 1/3), eliminates noise, protects just fine, lasts about a year, and comes off easy.

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
I know all about the tape...but that is not what I'm looking for dammit!!! :devil: ;) :D

I know someone here knows where to get some, but he just won't tell me! :rolleyes: ;)
that's awfully not nice of them....... let me know what you get, I'd like to get some myself for my chainstays...... quiet is better

wysiwyg

Monkey
May 22, 2002
Sherwood Forest, UK
Hows about that double sides foam tape you use to stick licence plates to cars/double glazed windows into frames etc. About 5mm thick, bang some of that on, with a layer of the thick 3m stuff or carbon effect.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
See my post above...I already got some of that 3M stuff to protect my frames from cable rub and such, been using that for years...

what I really need is RUBBER :D
An innertube is the best method. I accept the small weight increase for hte weight of a tube on my chainstays. I wrap both of them. My bike is so silent. Only noise is the pilot gapsing for air......

If you do find a thick rubbery stick on let us know.....

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
See my post above...I already got some of that 3M stuff to protect my frames from cable rub and such, been using that for years...

Pervert.

I won't annoy you with insistence but since you and I have the same shaped swingarm, I'll tell you what I use. Cut a tube (wait don't hang up yet), into a shape that conforms to the flat sides of the tubing on your swingarm.

There's an adhesive that 3M makes (I'll find the name if you want me to) that makes a really gummy glue layer that forms little bubbles. When you attatch the tube strips, a small amount of these bubbles stay in the glue and act as insulation when the chain slaps the rubber.

My bike is so quiet now, all I hear is the squeaking of the little rubber seals on my pedal spindles..........going down dogbone even.

EDIT: If this sounds like more of a hassle than what you're thinking of, let me know what you're talking about when you find it. I've got one more bike that needs the love. I'll ad it to the list of things you made me buy.:p

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
you can get sheets of 1/8th adheasive rubber foam at wallmart, I put that on my iron horse. I put white roadie-bar tape on the chainstay of my white foes :D

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I think I know what you are talking about. Is it double sided tape with a bit of foam in between? you can get regular or super strength?

that sounds interesting..
Actually it's a spray on adhesive. It's called super 77 by 3M. I used to use it to put on traction pads on surfboards too. It's nasty stuff...use it outdoors.

I think I know the tape you're talking about. I would think that stuff would rip.. kind of like road bike tape.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
do you think it destroys the paint!!

not if you put in UNDER the tube?

1: My turner swingarm is polished so no problem there. (duh)

It forms a glue that you can rub off. I had a bit of it on my front triangle where I wanted to put a peice of tube as a rock guard on my downtube. It looked like ass so I took it off with no problems. I only had it on there for about 5 minutes but if anything was going to hurt the powdercoat, I'd think it was the solvents/propellant in the glue, not the glue itself. As with anything though, I'd try a test area in a low visibility area. You're chainstay is going to be covered with something eventually anyway.

2: The tape I'm thinking of rips anyway and the adhesive sides stay stuck to whatever they're atatched to. Maybe you're thinking of something else though.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Originally posted by kidwoo
Actually it's a spray on adhesive. It's called super 77 by 3M. I used to use it to put on traction pads on surfboards too. It's nasty stuff...use it outdoors.

Super 77 works well. Its a basic contact cement. Read the instructions and do it like it says for best results. I also think more isnt better with that stuff. I have a patch thats the same as my avatar that i had on the HT of my bullit. It lasted for quite some time. The edges peeled a little. I cant remember though how hard it was to remove the residue once i took it off to sell.

Ive also seen guys on my team use hockey stick tape.

My latest thought for my own bike is to use a smaller piece tube and black tape. Instead of wrapping the tub all the way around and down the stay, im just going to fold over a piece to cover the slap areas, then wrap it all in black tape (electrical.) The elec tape holds up fine. I prefer that to a bunch of zip ties. That should save me 24.4343534 grams.

Crash_Tested

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
wCo
3M™ Impact Stripping Tape 518
85.0 mil (2.2 mm) specially compounded tan rubber backing with rubber adhesive and a clear easy-release film liner. Extra thick backing for added protection.

Additional Information
One of the thickest 3M™ Impact Stripping Tape available. Adhesion to Steel: 29.1 oz/in width. Provides excellent surface protection during plastic media blast (PMB) paint stripping operations. Designed for use in the Aerospace Industry to protect aircraft skins during plastic media paint blasting.

prerogative

Chimp
Aug 1, 2002
Danvers, MA
FYI: The self-amalgamating [edit: to fix spelling] tape I referred to above is rubber, and only bonds to itself (thus the name). It ends up being one piece of rubber after a few hours, and is easy to cut off without any glue or residue left on the frame.

Attachments

BlackDiamond

Chimp
Jan 25, 2004
Rancho Cucamonga CA

Bumpon SJ-5510 Continuous Strip*
Brown, White, Gray, Black
Width, inches (mm): 0.50 (12.7)
Height, inches (mm): 0.15 (3.88)

Bumpon protective products feature a plasticizer-free urethane composition which exhibits: Excellent skid resistance Long aging resiliency-will not crack or harden Abrasion resistance Resistance to marring and staining. 3M can match most colors and customize shapes to meet specifications.

I've got some on the way.

Instigator

ass balancer
Aug 22, 2001
Rochester, NY
Yo brother check it!

3M™ Bumpon™ Protective Product 6200 Series Rollstock
65 durometer polyurethane roll stock with a synthetic rubber adhesive. Excellent skid resistance, cushioning and abrasion resistance. Black in color. SJ6232=1/32" thick SJ6216=1/16" thick SJ6208=1/8" thick.

linky

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
totally need the same thing, since i dont want to cover up my nice machined swingarm. I'm gonna try dual-sided tape with rubber strip, but that 3M stuff looks so much better. Guess i'll have to order it from god knows where....

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.

So slap a condom on there. :think:

:devil:

Scrub

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2003
NOR CAL, Sac/CoCo County
I know all about the tape...but that is not what I'm looking for dammit!!! :devil: ;) :D

I know someone here knows where to get some, but he just won't tell me! :rolleyes: ;)
This is too funny, luc go check your PMs. I just noticed that you PMed me. ;)