Quantcast

Rubber Seal lube for suspension?

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
Always in a quest to find the holy lube for MTB suspension application, Im now struggling to find a product that is specifically design to lube rubber ( and by lube I mean K-WAX quality kinda lube ... something very slick...)

Something that will stick to it and wont get dissolve by an other lubricant ...in this case suspension oil.

I find my 09 TALAS quite "sticky" , Im pretty sure to know where the friction comes from and before I give up and turn it into a FLOAT , I was hoping to find a grease that I could apply to the lower rubber seal where the air spring shaft thing cycles up and down as well as the orings on the shaft itself.

Slick honey doenst really work as it doesnt stick to the rubber hard enough.FOX float fluid doesnt work either.Ive also tried Silicone spray with or without PTFE and it doesnt work long long.It only works for a few cycles and then the seal wipes it off but if I could find something that "penetrates" rubber( wow, kinda goes along with K-WAX ;-)) I think I could get rid of most of the friction.

Any ideas?

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Anything that absorbed into the rubber would degrade and/or swell the seals...making matters worse.

If you are looking for a lube that will not disolve into the fork lube/oil find some silicone grease. It is used for plumbing as well as scuba equipment (and I am sure many other uses) as an o-ring/seal lube. It is not oil soluble.

You might be fighting an uphill battle though, as it seems as your problem is quite common and I have not heard of a true fix other than going vanila or float....