Quantcast

Ruh Roh George....... I'm in the hole!

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
So I just worked out all my bills and rent and stuff, and realized...... I don't have enough money to pay it off. What killed me, was my credit card bill that I didn't realize was due yesterday. So I had made no payment, and the amount of money I owed them SKYROCKETED! :(

Anyone want to rent me for sex?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
BigMike said:
But its the first time i've ever missed a payment, and i've had the card for almost a year......... thats not TOO bad, right? RIGHT?
Call them, make a payment over the phone, and plead insanity. As a first offense they *should* cut you some slack. If not, move the balance as soon as possible.

Oh - have them credit you back the late payment fee while you're at it.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
SkaredShtles said:
Call them, make a payment over the phone, and plead insanity. As a first offense they *should* cut you some slack. If not, move the balance as soon as possible.

Oh - have them credit you back the late payment fee while you're at it.
Yeah that nice intro rate goes to a billion% most of the time when you miss a payment. Definately call them and beg mercy or move it pronto.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Your credit card company will charge you a late fee, but you can get them to drop that by calling and asking them to. The way credit card companies fight for business, they'll try hard to keep their customers happy.

Missing one payment won't hurt your credit rating. Make a habit out of it and it will. BTW, "almost a year"? A year is nothing in your credit history. String together several good years if you want to develop a good credit score.

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
I learned some interesting things this past summer, while working to secure my home loan. I've never liked credit cards. I've had only 2 in total I think. Never use them either. If your goal is to improve your credit rating - don't cut up or cancel every credit card (obviously paying off / keeping up needs to happen). Just having the extra lines of credit & history is a good thing. My score was pretty good, but if I had more credit cards it would have been way better. Just a thought. :)

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Rockland said:
I learned some interesting things this past summer, while working to secure my home loan. I've never liked credit cards. I've had only 2 in total I think. Never use them either. If your goal is to improve your credit rating - don't cut up or cancel every credit card (obviously paying off / keeping up needs to happen). Just having the extra lines of credit & history is a good thing. My score was pretty good, but if I had more credit cards it would have been way better. Just a thought. :)
Yup. I learned about that little bit of advice about a year ago. So now instead of cancelling my accounts I don't use I simply put the cards in a lockbox and leave the accounts open.