Quantcast

Rules for UNCG Urban....

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
i went for an urban ride w/ a few folks last night at UNCG and surrounding areas. On the way in, i decided to stop in at the UNCG Police office and get some info.....luckily, one of the officers there used to work w/ me at my department :thumb:

so here's how it is:

stair gaps and brick walls are ok

stay off of the white walls, anything that can be damaged by tire marks.....i know we don't leave marks on them but just be courteous and stay off.

the UNCG Police are cool w/ us but the campus security may need to be informed that we have verbal permission from the PD to "tool around". we ran into security last night and i explained "the deal" to him and he was cool with it. however, you may encounter a different security gaurd while riding so just be extremely courteous and educate them on the fact that you're not marring any structures.

it may be a good idea to stop in at the UNCG PD office and let them know that you'll be in the area and you understand that you need to stay off of the previously mentioned structures. be professional and courteous and it shouldn't be an issue...that way, if a security guard gives you a hard time you can honestly say that you already spoke w/ the Police about riding.

to sum up:

don't be a dick

stay off anything that looks nice (except stairs :D )

don't be beligerant if one of the security guards tells you to leave even after informing them of our "deal". just go, have someone post here w/ the info (try to get security gaurds name in a polite manner) and i'll see what i can do.

let me know if you have any questions.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
that a way manimal we need more people and more cops like you man. good job and sounds like me and my crew are gonna have to stop by. well thnks man.

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
manimal said:
yeah, most cops are dillholes :confused: ;)
You are so right and most of them don't know it.
Just my opinion after having dealings with them on both sides of the law.
But good job. We get chased off of alot of stuff in Atlanta and they hand out tickets for not having a light on your bike at night.

mongo

Chimp
Feb 4, 2005
Very good info and advice, manimal. We did the same thing here in Bellingham, WA -- meaning talked to the campus police for WWU -- and got much the same common sense advice: basically concrete, stone and steel are OK to ride on, but they don't want urban attack happening on wooden stuff like benches or anything else that could get damaged (like a piece of artwork say). I thought that was very reasoinable actually, but then people riding off things on bikes are probably pretty mild compared to some of the wildness they have to deal with. Happy trials... Mongo