Quantcast

Runners!

Jorvik

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002
I honestly don't know anymore.
Alright, I'm recently off knee surgery and can run again.

My last IST (1.5 miles) this past saturday was 8:46. This is 1:22 off of my PR. Given that I haven't run in 2 months I'm not terribly upset about this. Problem is, I ship off to boot camp January 20th. I want to get it back down to at least 8 flat. How can I accomplish this without logging serious miles. Would solid weight training help this? Also, for cardio work at the gym what would be best, elliptical trainer or stationary bike?

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
You're only looking to drop about a minute from your time right? And you were running that before your knee surgery?

How long have you been out? 2 months? Longer?

I'm not the best person to reply as I've never trained to run, I just run cuz I love it...and don't really stress about the time I do it in (but then, I've no one to prove anything to, so why bother right? heheh). It seems to me tho, that after I got back and running after my ribs knitted back up, it only took me about two weeks of running my 5 mile loop 3 days a week to get back into a) a steady rhythm pace that felt good and b) roughly back into the same time period for my 5 miles (bout 45 minutes - which includes my warm up walk out to the loop and cool down walk back to the apt from the loop). I stretch every evening tho...and usually when actively training (as I begin again tonight) I eat uber healthy - nothing else ever looks good ;)

Good luck tho...I'm curious to hear what the other monkey runners say, as I suspect I'm the rarity in not actively "training" for anything...I just do until it feels right to do

bbmj

Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
Eastbay
hey jorvick what up,
here is my advice, you are training semi westside right? well if so on dynamic sqat really cut out rest periods, same for the rest of your exercises in the gym, make the rest periods as short as possible, shoot for 20-30 sec rest periods. You might also add in some sprint intervals, before dynamic squat day,
another thing you might do is post this question at the www.elitefts.com q&a , and ask for martin or coach x to answer it, i am sure they could give you tons of good advice, which is probaly going to be much better advice than anything you get here
charlie

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Serious miles will only hamper your short distance speed, I would just MAX out (puke fast) for 2 miles once each week - alternating running 3 day weeks with 4 day weeks and keep the distance under 20 miles. run cycles at 75%, 85% and 95% plus.

Anyhow be careful - trying to improve your time too quickly often leads to injury.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by Jr_Bullit
Good luck tho...I'm curious to hear what the other monkey runners say, as I suspect I'm the rarity in not actively "training" for anything...I just do until it feels right to do
For my events I really don't specifically train either - I do make sure that I am in good enough shape to pull a 50K with a weeks notice. Traing for an event implies cutting back once the event is is over, for me running is a large part of my life - I see no end. I also run for fun but there is a certain satifaction that comes being capable of doing great distances over mountian trails under adverse conditions. At some point it's no longer about speed, it's about having the determination and mental strength to finish a course that offers no reward or glory. It's just you and your ability to push through periods of intense pain, fatigue and physical / mental exhaustion.

That said, I am in my junk miles phase of training for a 50 mile run I have entered for the spring. :)

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Originally posted by Serial Midget
For my events I really don't specifically train either - I do make sure that I am in good enough shape to pull a 50K with a weeks notice. Traing for an event implies cutting back once the event is is over, for me running is a large part of my life - I see no end. I also run for fun but there is a certain satifaction that comes being capable of doing great distances over mountian trails under adverse conditions. At some point it's no longer about speed, it's about having the determination and mental strength to finish a course that offers no reward or glory. It's just you and your ability to push through periods of intense pain, fatigue and physical / mental exhaustion.

That said, I am in my junk miles phase of training for a 50 mile run I have entered for the spring. :)
I'm still working out what I want the next goal to be. I can run a pretty steady 5 miles, but I do it with headphones on and my head in the clouds. An "event" as you call it, I suspect would pull me back down to earth and I'd be battling every step, instead of it being a nice smooth easy run. Someday I'd like to try a triathalon...I dunno where to begin with the swimming tho. I really have spent very little time in a pool...

:)

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Originally posted by Jr_Bullit
Someday I'd like to try a triathalon...I dunno where to begin with the swimming tho. I really have spent very little time in a pool...

:)

Go here.....www.marymeyerlifefitness.com

I was on a swim team for the better part of my first 18 years, but hadn't been in a pool for 'race purposes' for about 10 years when I started training for my first tri. I took her tri series and it really helped with the transition from pool to bike and swimming in a large group. Not to mention swimming in a lake, very different....

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Originally posted by Snacks
Go here.....www.marymeyerlifefitness.com

I was on a swim team for the better part of my first 18 years, but hadn't been in a pool for 'race purposes' for about 10 years when I started training for my first tri. I took her tri series and it really helped with the transition from pool to bike and swimming in a large group. Not to mention swimming in a lake, very different....
Hey neat! Thanks for the tip. I should have rephrased my sentence above. I used to be on the swim team...and was a diver into college. I stopped after I broke my neck in a diving accident. So now I just really have a hideous dislike of being immersed in chlorinated water..:rolleyes: so since then I've only been in a few times, and I felt like i was floundering around like a bottom feeding fish...

bbmj

Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
Eastbay
jorvick i think i saw your post on elitefts.com, after reading it was thinking about my advice to you which was to cut down the rest intevals on de squat, but what is it that is holding you back, is it endurance/fitness, or muscular strength, i dont think dave answered it that well, you might try re asking the question to martin,
charlie

bbmj

Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
Eastbay
i know ive said it already, but re submit the question to them but ask for Martin to answer it for you, he is the most knowledgable about that kind of stuff, and could probaly help you out a bit
charlie

mudhunny

Chimp
Jan 2, 2004
South Bay, CA
hey jorvik... how's the weight training going? id agree that you getting stronger muslces might give you greater power, but you also need to train those fast twitch muscles to be ready to call on that explosive power. For that, I would suggest running intervals at the track... sprint your guts out on the long stretches and jog around the corners. Try that for 4-6 laps (1.5miles). Since you're training set a PR for a relatively short race, long aerobic workouts on treadmill or elliptical machine are only going to improve your endurance. Good luck!www.singletracks.com

Jorvik

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002
I honestly don't know anymore.
My ship date just got moved back to April due to my surgery. I'm pissed. A good thing that will come from this is that I've got plenty of time to get my lower body stronger again. I'm already almost at the 8 minute mark, 8:06 yesterday. I've got another IST coming up on saturday which is the real test.

I've never been real fond of sprint intervals. I love the way it hurts, but I never seem to get that much faster from them as opposed to just running my distance runs faster. I've also got to keep endurance up, boot camp is largely an endurance affair, not just comprised of the fitness tests.