Quantcast

Running 1 spring instead of 2...?

nh dude

Monkey
May 30, 2003
Vt
Can a lighter rider (120 ) use 1 spring instead of 2 in order to achieve a smoother ride / correct sag on a 2002 Boxxer (originally built around 2 springs)?
yellow spring btw supposedly medium weight and stock in 2002

I just rebuilt one for the first time and the rebound actually has a usable range, however the compression is much to firm with both springs for my gf.

Solution 1: take out a spring. i took it out of the compression side left leg
Solution 2: take most of the oil out of the compression side

Reasoning: the damper may need the spring above it to work properly but most likely not and there is no need for compression damper if the ride isn't soft enough.

descente

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Sandy Eggo
taking most of the oil out won't help anything. it will probably make it perform worse.
you always need compression damping.
yes, you can run with one spring, that is how my 2005 boxxer chassis is setup. it was originally a world cup with 2 yellow (med) springs, but after i swapped around with the dampers (avalanche cartridge) i could only run one spring, so i took out the 2 yellow springs and installed the extra red (firm) spring on one side. it took some trial and error to get the preload right, but it works perfect and feels infinitely more plush than it did originally.

freeridefool

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
medford, or
I actually have an 02 for the bike my girl rides with just one spring in it. It is a little light for her at 105lbs so you may have to get firmer springs.

Triple8Sol

Monkey
May 4, 2010
Seattle, WA
Instead of either of those ideas of yours, I'd suggest trying a thinner weight fork oil. For example, the difference in feel b/w an 8w & 10w is very noticeable. Maybe you could try a 5-6w.

nh dude

Monkey
May 30, 2003
Vt
the single yellow spring is way to soft.
but we have a red firm spring so we will try that out.
also can i fit a 8" boxxer spring in the 2002 seven inch boxxer if i modify the plastic spacer?

dcamp29

Monkey
Feb 14, 2004
Colorado
the single yellow spring is way to soft.
but we have a red firm spring so we will try that out.
also can i fit a 8" boxxer spring in the 2002 seven inch boxxer if i modify the plastic spacer?
yes. to all the above... i have a 2008 spring in a 2005 boxxer and an air cap on the other side.

also- you will probably need more oil in the compression side to make up for the lack of spring volume in that leg.