Quantcast

Running A Front Brake?

IrOn_MaN

Chimp
Jul 8, 2008
Wisconsin
Why dont more people run a front brake? Is it because of weight? No point for just dirt jumping or urban? I just wanted to run a front brake and i was wondering why i should and or why i shouldn't run one?

SDG

Chimp
May 24, 2007
It all depends on how you want to use the bike. I run my Dirt/Street bike without a front brake, cause i don't need the extra braking power and the front disc can be damaged with some tricks. Also it shaves a few grams and the bike looks cleaner.

And when you want to do a front wheel trick, just put your foot on the tire behind the vork.

Cheers..

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
At 1:30 in the video on the left, is that just a piece of plywood bent and rolled lying against the wall to create a quarter-wallride set up? if it is, i'll be a son of a......
cool riding as well. saawhheeeettttt.....
It sure looks that way. Rob Ridge is the guy's name, and he's inhuman.

nwd_26

Monkey
Nov 29, 2007
Toronto, Onterrible
Although I'm not currently running a front brake, I loved it while I had it. Nose pivots, nice long endoes at stoplights, etc....Although I commute at least 20km a day dowtown during rush-hour, and ride XC on my street bike, so that may change things. Also, my local jump spot is well-populated with kids, so stopping without skidding and ruining the trails is always nice.

Still, I'd highly recommend a front brake, run through a hollow starnut. perfect!

Last edited:

JGill

Monkey
Jul 7, 2008
Norman, OK
I will always ride with a front brake. It helps on trails and riding at a decent pace in traffic. Spinning off the front wheel without jamming your foot in the fork is always nice too. Plus I like stalling on everything without having to use my foot too. I always feel kind of silly doing that, like being a little kid again or something. But I guess it's not really cool to run a front brake on your 20 or 26" bike, so what do I know...