Quantcast

Running Boxxer WC Without Oil Seals

Rumlan

Chimp
Nov 29, 2011
Title pretty much says it... Do any of you have any experience running your WC fork without the oil seals and just the dust seals. I've heard it significantly reduces stiction but i'm curious if any one with first hand experience can comment.
If so, i'm also curious as to how much the service interval time decreased running the fork this way.

Cheers

Mr Nug

Monkey
Aug 26, 2007
UK
I'm pretty sure that when I had my old boxxers TFTuned, they swapped out the oil seals for foam rings (like the fox forx have) that retain oil - especially if you use a blend of viscous Red Rum and 10wt oil. It does shorten the maintenance time but I used to do mine every 4 rides or so and isn't a big deal when you've done it a few times.

Really cuts down the stiction so is worth doing. Not sure I'd run them without the foam rings as the oil would just gather at the bottom and you could find yourself with a dry fork very easily.

Think it's covered in the Boxxer Tuning thread but it's a monster...!

baca262

Monkey
Aug 16, 2011
check out if you can get nok or skf oil seals for it, also if the oil seals measure 35x47x10mm, marzocchi 888 (pre 2008 models) seals fit. rs uses some crappy seals that cause too much stiction.

measure their dimensions and get your ass to nearest hardware store :thumb:

EDIT: moto store could be a better shot but check everything out if you choose to go that route. also if you see skf oil seals made of some grayish/bluish rubber that fit - GET THEM. those are their new moto seals and are absolutely stictionless.

Last edited:

drastic.

Monkey
May 16, 2011
pleasanton, ca
i have. i did this from a recommendation given to me.

i just tried pulling out my wiper seals to put my oil seals in, but i couldn't remove the wiper seals w/o damaging them, so ill have to order a new set.

running enduro wipers.
they just leak WAYY too much. its ridiculous. after one 2minute run, the stanchions are dirty from all the mud, dust, & grime collecting on the oil that makes its way out the wiper.

about 5-10minutes of riding, the oil pools up, and starts to work it's way down the leg. i've had to remove my brake pads 3 times so far and scuff them and the rotor due to oil dripping down the leg and making it's way onto my rotor.

unless you race, and rebuild after every ride, or don't mind carrying a towel in your back pocket, i'd look at other alternatives.

i didnt mind it at first, but now it's just bothersome and annoying having to wipe my fork legs and seals down to remove them of the oil after ever run or two.
at this point, i have blue electrical tape wrapped around the upper leg so it pertrudes like 1/2" above the oil leg so that the oil can pool up, but not drip down...i'm not kidding, LOL

buy the Foam oil seals, or hone out a pair of rubber oil seals if you're worried about stichion. that's my intentions as soon as i get another set of wiper seals in my hands.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
I always ran my boxxers with just wipers and no oil seals. Fill the void with slick honey and enjoy.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I'm not sure how people do this.

The only legitimate way I've seen it done is ditching the spring-side pressure seal in the Race/Team (RC/R2C2). I've seen it work on the 35mm boxxer, probably wouldn't do it in a 32mm (less volume).

In a damper leg or air spring leg (sealed at base), there is little volume at full compression - thus fairly high pressure - thus the fork will most likely leak oil past the wiper until it goes dry. I'm open to correction here, but if you've made a damper leg run leak-free with no pressure seal, you're either very lucky or running little to no lubrication oil.

I wouldn't use enduro wipers on anything as they have more stiction than OEM parts, even after break-in.

yopaulie

Monkey
Jun 4, 2009
NH
Maybe you have some other problem with the fork causing that much stiction? I have only used the stock oil/dust seals and the fork has always been buttery.

JimLad

Monkey
Sep 23, 2009
Whistler
My World Cups (which have been TF tuned) also have no oil seals. Never noticed any leakage (the occasional dust ring but I had that with sealed forks too) and service interval seems about the same. The oil doesn't seem too dirty when it comes to doing a rebuild.

Stock wipers, and foam rings which I soak with grease

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Maybe you have some other problem with the fork causing that much stiction? I have only used the stock oil/dust seals and the fork has always been buttery.
There seems to be a fair amount of variation in the tolerances in those forks - some of em are absolutely excellent in terms of stiction, others constantly feel like you've filled the seals up with mud instead of grease.

Enduro wipers are absolutely terrible at any rate, they're sticky as hell and don't do much to keep anything in or out!