Quantcast

Running for DH training?

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Is there any place for running in the DH trainer's arsenal, in your opinion? Or is it wasted time/effort that would be better spent deadlifting/on the bike, etc?

If running's good; how far/fast? HR zones? etc.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Running will get you fit, but the price you pay in making your legs flat/loosing snap that is desperately needed in DH is not worth it.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
"making your legs flat/loosing snap" - explain? You mean running loses muscle? Or switches your muscles from fast twitch to slow twitch? Or something else?

Jettj45

Monkey
Oct 20, 2005
Butthole of NC
Yeah running is awesome for an aerobic workout and all but, your time is better spent elsewhere. Anything on a bike is always better than running. Doing explosive lifting is always good to increase fast twitch connections.

If you're just a weekend warrior or someone who it content with being in good enough shape to make it down the mountain, run away.

Anyone serious about racing should spend their workout time more wisely.

Loochi

Chimp
Aug 18, 2009
"making your legs flat/loosing snap" - explain? You mean running loses muscle? Or switches your muscles from fast twitch to slow twitch? Or something else?
X-country running will build up your endurance/cardiovascular/etc and will utilize mostly slow twitch fibers therefore forfitting fast twitch fibers; although it's better than sitting on the couch eating lays. But your best bet would be specific DH training..it's quite complex depending on the level your trying to reach and how much time you have to invest. And to answer your question the dead lift can be used as part of a DH specific workout, although it is just one aspect (a very small one at that) to training for DH. good luck.

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
I find that a combination of weights, running, and riding is the best. In terms of how running helps my riding, it noticeably increases my stamina. I used to do just the lifting and riding training program, but when I added running to the list, I was noticeably less gassed at the end of my resort riding days.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
focus on all aspects of fitness. Strength, Strenght endurance, power, and endurance.

Running distance would focus on endurance, sprints would help focus on power and strength. USe weight training for strength, strength endurance and power, ride your bike as much as you can. But don't discount the benefits of running, ever.

kidwithbike

Monkey
Apr 16, 2007
Hoboken, NJ
i think running and biking use you leg muscles quite differently. ran some hills on sunday, quads and shins are just getting over being majorly sore. my fitness is good enough from riding the trainer but i wanted to get in running shape since my wrist is gonna be broken for a while... I think sprints, stairs, plyos and jumping rope would be more beneficial for DH, i will transition to those activities as the season nears...

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I do some moderate trail running at lunch with a lot of rock tosses, plyometric jumps, tree climbing, crab walks, etc. I do them because my body likes to "play" and move in the 3D world. I've ridden trails and DH for so many years that my body has forgotten any other agility.

Playing a pickup game of basketball, running with my kids, throwing a football or dodging the dog in the yard were getting to be sad, pathetic attempts at imitating a human.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
cross training is always good for any sport. just don't overdo it if you want sport specific fitness.

in other words....running too much will draw from your cycling ability, but doing one day of running for six days of cycling will not, but it will help to build up supporting muscles and muscles that you don't normally use but may need in the case of an injury or risk thereof.

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006
cross training is always good for any sport. just don't overdo it if you want sport specific fitness.

in other words....running too much will draw from your cycling ability, but doing one day of running for six days of cycling will not, but it will help to build up supporting muscles and muscles that you don't normally use but may need in the case of an injury or risk thereof.
Thats how i feel also. Try to get some other type of activity in once every fortnight or so. As has been stated by others, cycling/weightlifting gives strength in very specific areas. Plus it helps break up the monotony.

I remember reading an article on Lopes training methods, they included running and karting, in addition to weights ect

Jettj45

Monkey
Oct 20, 2005
Butthole of NC
Thats how i feel also. Try to get some other type of activity in once every fortnight or so. As has been stated by others, cycling/weightlifting gives strength in very specific areas. Plus it helps break up the monotony.

I remember reading an article on Lopes training methods, they included running and karting, in addition to weights ect
BL, Karting?

On a serious note, what did you actually mean lol?

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006
BL, Karting?

On a serious note, what did you actually mean lol?
LOL

and yes thats what i meant... at least thats what i presume thats the type of karting he was talking about, it was in some oakley feature in dirt.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
I imagine 99% of DH riders (myself included) are gonna gain more from the fitness they'll gain from running than any fast-twitch explosiveness they'll lose. Let's not kid ourselves about our riding/fitness levels here. Go out for a run. Unless you're a gnar racer boi, you'll probably have much more fun, and ride better from having better cardio.

BKQuill

Turbo Monkey
Dec 19, 2004
Rangers Lead the Way
I imagine 99% of DH riders (myself included) are gonna gain more from the fitness they'll gain from running than any fast-twitch explosiveness they'll lose. Let's not kid ourselves about our riding/fitness levels here. Go out for a run. Unless you're a gnar racer boi, you'll probably have much more fun, and ride better from having better cardio.
WORD!!:thumb:

cecil

Turbo Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
with the voices in my head
if your going to run put on wrist and ankle weights, do curls with palms facing down and military presses while running also. dhing you are multi tasking, do it in training too

Racebike

Monkey
Jul 28, 2008
Sweden
I find interval training up long staircases give good results when it comes back to doing DH-runs again.

We have a spot near where we live with about 50-55 meters of altitude gain just by going up stairs.

10 times up and down with warmup takes roughly an hour, just over a minute to the top, perfect for cardio and working on sprinting.

Also, bouldering in the off season has really helped with arm (and overall) strength, but that's another matter.

BigHitComp04

Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
Morgantown, WV
Agreed! I think for most non-WC people, running and being in good cardio-shape is the most important. All I do is run, ride my DH bike, and ride my BMX a lot. The BMX really strengthens the upper body (and much more fun than lifting!)