Quantcast

Running headset without top cap

ocelot

Monkey
Mar 8, 2009
Canadastan
I have a Cane Creek xxc flush that has developed some play. I would torque down the stem to the point of breaking a star nut and end up with the same outcome. I decided to remove the top cap (part that goes under the spacers and stem) and was able to tighten down the stem enough to eliminate the play.
My question is, will this damage anything other than reduce the protection against dirt, which is what i assume the top cap is for?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Running without it's fine, but if you want to keep it, there should be a couple really thin stainless steep spacers that go between it and the split ring. The fact that you appear to be missing those is probably the source of your problem.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Running without it's fine, but if you want to keep it, there should be a couple really thin stainless steep spacers that go between it and the split ring. The fact that you appear to be missing those is probably the source of your problem.
you do infact need moar shims
and you do need that top cap. the one with the model number on it

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
you do infact need moar shims
and you do need that top cap. the one with the writing on it
No you don't. All it does is keep the bearing clean. It's just a dust shield. Things will be a little dirtier without it, but it's not like the bike's going to burst into flames if it's missing.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
No you don't. All it does is keep the bearing clean. It's just a dust shield. Things will be a little dirtier without it, but it's not like the bike's going to burst into flames if it's missing.
the dust shield is the gold bit with rubber ring on it
isnt that top cap not putting preload on the bearings along with the split ring?/

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
the dust shield is the gold bit with rubber ring on it
isnt that top cap not putting preload on the bearings along with the split ring?/
Not really. It's pretty much just a really big, flat spacer that covers the top bearing. If you take it off, all that'll happen is your lower spacer/ stem/ top crown as the case may be will contact the split ring directly and preload things that way rather than preloading through the cover. Doesn't make any difference there.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
wow, never thought of using my stem to preload my headset instead of the intended 2mm tall cap.
ya learn something everyday.

back to topic.....where are the thin shims that the headset came with?

ocelot

Monkey
Mar 8, 2009
Canadastan
wow, never thought of using my stem to preload my headset instead of the intended 2mm tall cap.
ya learn something everyday.

back to topic.....where are the thin shims that the headset came with?

Although that picture is not mine, it does represent what comes in the box when you buy it. I guess my situation doesn't happen often enough for CC to include them?

thom9719

Turbo Monkey
Jul 25, 2005
In the Northwest.
That probally means the top cap is bottoming out before it hits the lock ring in the headset. Put a thin headset spacer over the bearing lock ring/below the headset top cap and see if that works.

otherwise, no, it won't damage anything other than crud protection.

-KT

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
That probally means the top cap is bottoming out before it hits the lock ring in the headset. Put a thin headset spacer over the bearing lock ring/below the headset top cap and see if that works.
-KT
Yeah, that's what I meant by the "thin stainless spacers being missing" bit, though I kind of forgot to explain it. CC usually ships a bunch of those with their headsets, I know the last few I've bought/ installed on customers' bikes had some. I can't remember doing an XX reducer specifically though.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Although that picture is not mine, it does represent what comes in the box when you buy it. I guess my situation doesn't happen often enough for CC to include them?
no, thats not all that comes in the box. i have two of them and they each come with 1 small shim to be used in a situation like yours

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Ok, your question makes ALOT more sense now. The part all the way to the left is the top cap. I was gonna answer that yeah, if you preload everything right you can take the top cap off.........

As for the part in question, Yeah you can run without it, it does however serve a purpose, it protects the seal. Which is lso important, I personally would call up cane creek and tell them the part your missing, Ill bet they will send it to you for free, they have really good CS.