Quantcast

Running n00b

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Serial Midget said:
Ouch... it most certainly does matter. I cannot think of a good reason to run barefoot. One stone bruise can set you back for weeks and weeks.

At the very least I think you should consider racing flats, they should be hardcore enough to impress most runners. :)
Out of sheer curiousity, how long did it take you to recover from your long training runs, the marathons, the 50ks, the 50 milers, etc?

I'd much rather look smooth than gnarcore. :)

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
laura said:
it definitely does matter. It matters more with no kind of support what so ever. My arches and ankles fall in, badly. I am working on form now, removed my orthodics a couple of months a go. I plan to start on a track and see how i like. Preferably an indoor track although I don't know of any free ones. stone bruises hurt and I don't want one.
Flat feet? I've heard that can be painful as hell. True?

I'm by no means an expert on the subject or a good runner (still very much consider myself a beginner), but I've done a lot of reading on form because my knees don't like the "traditional" (read: heel strike) running form. To paraphrase Ken Meirke, "The need for motion control shoes is due to irregularities from the heel. Remove the heel from the equation, and the need for insoles drops significantly." Or something to that effect.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
H8R said:
I came up with a few reasons, none of them good:

1) Extreme poverty
2) Running from a jealous lover that caught you naked with their spouse
3) You're house is on fire
You forgot bees, and of course, a ham sandwich.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
my flat feet don't bother me at all when running, when standing still for long periods of time, however, they kill. thats why i need inserts. I was born with ankle issues though. didn't walk until i was 2.5, was told constantly that I would need operations when my bones stopped eveloping etc etc. So who knows, maybe for you weenies that don't know anything about real foot problems, the importance of pronation or supination is negligible, but alas, I am not so lucky. :p

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
Get some chonies of the whitey tightey variety. I've recently started running with boxers....umm...kinda uncomfortable when your boxers get wedged

nikwho

Monkey
Jun 16, 2006
Flagstaff, Az
i went into the local running shop and told them pretty much the same thing that you said... im right at 212lbs and was starting running mostly on the pavement and treadmills.. Two shops that i went in both reccomended the asics gel-kayano XII. they were pricey($130ish) but after going from $30 new balance shoes to these, i wish very badly that i bought them long ago!!! they are great, if you can justify spending that much on a pair of shoes...

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
reflux said:
Out of sheer curiousity, how long did it take you to recover from your long training runs, the marathons, the 50ks, the 50 milers, etc?

I'd much rather look smooth than gnarcore. :)
Oh... about 2 months too late... 50K trail runs required only about 3 days of recovevery since dirt is forgiving. Marathons took 2 to 3 weeks to fully recover since pavement beats the crap out of you. After my 50 miler I lost the desire to run for 3 or 4 months... mentally it was very tough!

Slider

Monkey
May 23, 2004
Moscow, ID
I didn' read all the post because there were to many here is the "skinny" on running. First shoes, go to a running store and be helped not a plain jane sport shoe store. The anatomical structure of your foot well tell you what kind of shoe you need there are 3 basic kinds. next is running start out at about 20 minutes at 80-90% if your max hr and increase time weekly by 10% on the fourth week back off 10% and give your self a break so you don't hurt your knees and you can incresse time forever in that fashion and avoid most injury. on your first couple weeks if can't run the whole time no problem just walk till you feel like running again the point is never quit early even if your first run consists of 5 minutes of running and 19 minutes of walking and another 1 minute running the point is finish it so your body can get used to the work. Now that you know how to get your run rember to warm up

warm up is critical to prevent injury
5 minutes previous to your run slowly warm your heart rate up to 130 beats per minute once you get the hang of it your HR will 130 right at the end (4 min 55 secs) then dart your heart rate up to 70-80% range and hold it there for the run.

nikwho

Monkey
Jun 16, 2006
Flagstaff, Az
so, would you just stretch and then walk at a brisk pace to get your heart rate up?? or how would you suggest warming up??? thanks...

Slider

Monkey
May 23, 2004
Moscow, ID
Rule number 1 most important never stretch a cold muscle. and stretching only robs from the power output of the muscle and cause massive amount of tearing in a cold muscle. Most people the thought of running shoots there hr up to 100 bpm so just start there and over a 5 minute time gradualy increase your pace untill you are at 130 at the end of the 5minutes. If you hit 130 early just hold that pace don't go over, and next time warm up slower. warmnig up in this method prevents your legs from needing to be stretched. after the run then stretch crap out of your self. By that point your muscles will be like taffy and much more willing stretch with out injury. and most importantly running is FUN so don't kill yourself if you are cramping, seeing stars, making wierd grunting noises stop and walk till you get controll of your resporation again. After every run drink 16 oz of gatoraide immediatly. On the same theory you don't by gas after you car runs out of gas.

BUY EXPENSIVE SHOES!!!!! your feet support you whole body wieght, people don't get this for some reason. So buy the best shoes you can for those guys they deserve it. If you wanna skimp don't get a sweat band