Quantcast

Running sucks!

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
So as much as I don't care for it, I have to do it for the whole Army thing. I am trying to run both farther and faster. I was making good progress, until I decide to take a little time off. If I don't run every day, I backslide to no end. Example:
I was running between 2 and 3 miles a day every day. I got busy at work and school and didn't run for a week. Now if I try and run even 2 miles, my shins hurt like hell after the first mile. This has been going on for a week now. It hurts so bad, I don't run every day, but now I can't even make 2 miles. What's the deal? Anyone have a good training program to increase distance? Thanks.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
jimmydean said:
So as much as I don't care for it, I have to do it for the whole Army thing. I am trying to run both farther and faster. I was making good progress, until I decide to take a little time off. If I don't run every day, I backslide to no end. Example:
I was running between 2 and 3 miles a day every day. I got busy at work and school and didn't run for a week. Now if I try and run even 2 miles, my shins hurt like hell after the first mile. This has been going on for a week now. It hurts so bad, I don't run every day, but now I can't even make 2 miles. What's the deal? Anyone have a good training program to increase distance? Thanks.
If I take more than 3 days off my shins ache really bad the next couple times I run. What I do when that happens is take it easy, run until it's painfull, walk for about a quater of a mile then start jogging slowly again. Afterwards I ICE for about 20 minutes, ice is your friend. After about the third day back all is well.

As far as distance train, I was always told increase 10% a week, time or distance.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I'll say it again - for the distance you are running there is NO reason for shin splints other than bad or worn out shoes. Get a decent pair of running shoes that are fitted by someone who also runs. Proper support easily controls pronation problems which cause shin splints.

Grasp your running shoe at heel and toe - if they twist easily at the arch then they need to be replaced.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I went to Portland Running Co. and had them fit me with a pair of Nike Air Max Motto's that cost me $125! I paid full retail for them so I would know I was getting the right shoes. They are a month old.

I have allways gotten shin pains when running because I'm no runner. They do seem to go away after a few weeks of running. I have also started weight work for my legs based on the workout P-Ditty did for NYC (I know, I know, but he did run a marithon in 3 months). That seems to be helping with weights, but backsliding SUCKS!

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
If that is the case then I don't think it's shin splints you have... typically shin splints will go away during the course of a run, laying off for a few weeks makes them go away altogether. Maybe you are doing too much to fast. Just because you can run a fast mile does not mean you should - save fastest runs for racing. When you do your daily run - don't even think about time or distance just run at your comfort level for that day.

Where exactly is the pain of your shin splints localized? Both legs at once?

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Here is my schedule (what was given to me to increase both speed and distancee):
Day One, Slow pace, 20 to 30 minutes
Day Two, speed intervals, 2 minute warm up, 1 minute jog, 30 second sprint repeat for 20 too 30 minutes
Day Three, Medium pace as far as I can (about 30 minutees right now)
Day Four, speed intervals, same as before
Day Five, run as far as I can at a comfortable speed (build distance)
Day Six (when I can), speed intervals.

With this schedule, I seem to make good gains for both speed and distance. When I started, I was barely able to do 1.5 miles, now I am doing 3ish miles and went from 3.5 to 6.5 intervals to 6.5 to 9 interevals.

The pain is in both legs, starts in the left, on the outside edge of my shin. I was trying what Snacks said and it seems to help. I need to gain as much as I can, so tihs plan seems to work. The other thing is I've seemed to have gained 15 pounds somehow over the last few weeks and that isn't helping.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
3 day of speed intervals is your problem. You just can't abuse your body running like you can riding.

What are your goals?

Your extra weight may be a small part of the problem but I doubt it. I don't think you have shin splints - I think you have inflamed tendons and muscles due too much speedwork too soon.

If you are trying to maintain your military qualifications - don't push so hard, that bar isn't that high. The training program you are on seems like a 5K race training routine for an experienced runner.

Give me the specifics of your goal and when you need to achieve it.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Right now, the "passing rate" (60 points) is 2 miles in 17:00, but to get 100 points, I need to do 2 miles in 13:45. I also need to be able to run 7 miles (speed not as important as not walking at any point). I would like to get as close to a 7 minute mile for 2 miles as soon as possible, but September is the key.

The training program I'm on is the satnadard "running performance" program for people who need to improve. There is only supposed to be 2 speed days, but it seems to hurt less when I do a 20 minute speed interval than when I do a 30 minute jog. Doesn't make any sense to me, but that's how it feels.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Well you have plenty of time. Seven minute miles do not really require speedwork at all.

Since you have until September I would back off quite a bit for the next month or so - do low intensity workouts where endurance and distance are the keys.

For what you need to qualify for fifteen miles a weeks should be fine.

My numbers on the laptop do not work anymore, I will post tomorrow sometime a more moderate program that will help you get the results without the pain. Pain and running are not a good combo.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Thanks SM, that would be great. I have noticed a huge difference in my pace with the speed work and it also keeps me from getting bored. Running isn't all that cool for me, I get bored and have a hard time pushing myself unless I'm on a treadmill. I do run well with other people, so when I test for the Army, I run faster than when I run by myself.

I haven't found a real god program other than the one I've been doing, but I'd rather progress than backslide like I have been. Thanks again for all the input.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I suggest that you keep you mileage down to 15 per week for the next month, during that time don’t do any intervals or speed work lasting more than ½ mile.

Day 1: Long run a slow and easy 8 miles at 75 to 80% of max. This will feel slow to you but it does wonders for your endurance.

Day 2: Ride your bike, without pushing past the point of muscles strain, for about 1 hour.

Day 3: Fast 3 mile run but not at race pace – 85 to 90% of max for 2 ½ miles and then max out solid for the last ½ mile.

Day 4: Bike ride again.

Day 5: Moderate 4 mile run at 80 to 85% of max for the first 3 ½ miles and then max out solid for the last ½ mile.

Day 6: Bike ride as long as you want or can.

Day 7: Rest, pray – whatever.

Do the above for about one month.

On your second month increase your total mileage to 18 miles per week by adding one mile to each run. Your speed work is still the last ½ mile of your 2 short runs.

For your 3rd month increase your total mileage to 20 miles per week by adding 1 additional day of running intervals totaling 2 miles. If you have been good about your base miles the gains you will get from adding an additional day of running are huge.

Continue these 20 mile weeks until one week prior to testing. During that week cut your mileage in ½ and never exceed 75% of max. Before your 2 mile test take a nice and easy ½ mile warm up about 20 minutes before the start.

Good luck!

Also - use a heart rate monitor.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Well, that sounds great. But the farthest I have ever run EVER is 3.25 miles. Now I have no idea why, but I can't run that far, not at any speed. If I run at 4.5 mph (nearly walking) or at 6.5 mph (good pace jog for me) , I crap out after 3 miles. So I will try and run 8 miles, but like I said, I have never run that far at any speed.

Last night I did 2.5 miles at 6.2 mph and got a wicked side stich. Good for me because at least it wasn't my shins that slowed me down. I will try tonight to run as far as I can even at a VERY slow pace (as long as I'm not walking) and see what happens. It would be nice to do 4 miles because that's one of those marks I would like to reach for a change.

As for the heart monitor, I use the ones on the treadmill and they seem to work ok.

Thanks again for all your help, I will keep you posted on what happens.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Crap. No wonder you hurt - you were doing a program for experienced runners - two days of speed work is insane for someone just starting out.

I sounds like you will have more difficulty with mileage than speed... try 5 miles tomorrow by running for 10 minutes, walking for 2 minutes, running 10 etc until you have your 5 miles down. Force yourself to finish the 5 miles even if you have to walk. Do the same for your 7 mile runs as well - with endurance comes speed. :thumb:

EDIT: Do the distance - even if you have to walk some of it.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
jimmydean said:
Well, that sounds great. But the farthest I have ever run EVER is 3.25 miles. Now I have no idea why, but I can't run that far, not at any speed. If I run at 4.5 mph (nearly walking) or at 6.5 mph (good pace jog for me) , I crap out after 3 miles. So I will try and run 8 miles, but like I said, I have never run that far at any speed.

Last night I did 2.5 miles at 6.2 mph and got a wicked side stich. Good for me because at least it wasn't my shins that slowed me down. I will try tonight to run as far as I can even at a VERY slow pace (as long as I'm not walking) and see what happens. It would be nice to do 4 miles because that's one of those marks I would like to reach for a change.

As for the heart monitor, I use the ones on the treadmill and they seem to work ok.

Thanks again for all your help, I will keep you posted on what happens.
IMPO don't trust the ones on the treadmills, or any other gym equipment. If you don't want to buy a monitor take it your self.

For the side aches, I can get them too. It's usually when I'm not controlling my breathing corectly.

Good Luck!!!

fasterTHANyou

Monkey
Dec 12, 2003
washington dc
Snacks said:
As far as distance train, I was always told increase 10% a week, time or distance.
I'm training for the marine corps marathon in the fall. this has been more or less my approach. it's been working just fine and i'm up to 12-13 miles right now, with plenty of time left to go.

also, keep it to one long run a week. i do short runs- 3-4 miles daily, and then do the longer run on saturday, with sunday off.

i know you aren't up to distances like that, but just apply it. maybe 1 mile a day, then on saturday go for 3 with sunday off.

also, swimming is an excellent way to work on the endurance on your days off. helps you stretch out too

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Serial Midget said:
What are your goals and what are you doing now? I thought you were well on your way??? Since you are not doing the army thing I suggest trail running.
Well, I could always use a little guidance.

I want to run in the Seattle Marathon on Nov. 28th. I just want to finish, not break any speed goals.

Right now a typical week is.....

M - 5-6 miles at 7mph. Lift for 30 min.

T - Speed run 3-4 miles. Ride afterwork 1-2 hours.

W - Long run 7+ miles at 6.5.

TH - Swim about an hour. Lift 30 min. Ride afterwork 1-2 hours.

F - Run 5-6 miles at 7-7.5 mph. Ride afterwork 1-2 hours.

S - Long xc ride.

S - Short jog 3 miles, usually hill work. Play entire soccer game.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Wow, I made it! I ran (and a little walked) 5 miles! I started out kinda slow for my normal pace at 5.5 miles per hour and still felt as tired as if I was running at 6.5. So at 12 minutes, I walked for about 2 minutes, then kicked it up to 6.5. After 30 minutes total, my shins were tight, but I kept going. I wasn't in real pain, just tight. I found if I kicked it up to 7 for 30 seconds, then 5.2 for a minute and repeat, my shins felt better than the steady 5.5.

I thought I was going to die at 3 miles, but I kept going. I figured 4 would be a good place to stop. The next thing I know I was at 4.25 miles and figured I could go the rest of the way since I was so close and all.

I spent 15 minutes stretching afterwards and I don't hurt at all. The final stats were 56 minutes total (I walked for 2 minutes for the warm up too) with an average speed of 5.4 mph. I burned something like 580 calories per the treadmil. Correct or not, it makes me feel good.

Thanks so much SM for the plan. I will stick with it and hope for the best. I ride my bike to work 2-3 days a week @ 12 miles each day, so that will be my non-running days. I might end up liking this whole running thing after all (but I'm keeping the gravity assisted BigHit for fun too).

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Well thats cool. The only pointer I would repeat is to lay off the speed and only max out for a half mile or so. Your shins might feel better going fast but you really should allow time for your base miles to strengthen your connective tissues.

Keep in mind that speed will come naturally as a result of improved endurance.

Have you ever run on pavement? It might be the treadmill itself that is causing you trouble. You might try running outside and see how that goes.

When you do your first seven miles do the run ten, walk two routine straight off, don't wait until you are tired before you take a walk break. You'll be amazed at what you can do.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I have no doubt that you will do fine on your marathon, your workout schedule looks great to me. Just substitute two weekend XC epics a month with progressive long runs. I'll make suggestions soon when I am on my computer with working numbers. All you really need to do is adjust your body to the harshness of the road.

Snacks said:
Well, I could always use a little guidance.

I want to run in the Seattle Marathon on Nov. 28th. I just want to finish, not break any speed goals.

Right now a typical week is.....

M - 5-6 miles at 7mph. Lift for 30 min.

T - Speed run 3-4 miles. Ride afterwork 1-2 hours.

W - Long run 7+ miles at 6.5.

TH - Swim about an hour. Lift 30 min. Ride afterwork 1-2 hours.

F - Run 5-6 miles at 7-7.5 mph. Ride afterwork 1-2 hours.

S - Long xc ride.

S - Short jog 3 miles, usually hill work. Play entire soccer game.

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
I remember reading one place that one of the biggest reasons for shin splints is the lack of proper heel and arch support. I'd try some Dr. Shoals.