Quantcast

RWC needle bearing kit making 'click' noise..'

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
does anyone here run the RWC needle bearing shock mounting kit? before i put it on, i didnt have any 'click' noise/feel while compressing the rear shock, now i do..

for those not up to speed, they give you three different sleeves that slip into the needle bearing. they are all different tolerances (-, +, and ++).. now IIRC, i used '++' for the top, and '+' for the bottom.

do you think i should put the '++' sleeve on the bottom mount? searched google and the only thing i got was a guy measuring his play, but he didnt provide how he fixed his.

thx
B

edit:
not sure if it matters, but he only recommended that i buy a kit for the top mount, but i chose to do both, because i was not a fan of the 2012 rc4 bushings.

Last edited:

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
there has to be a tiny bit of play otherwise the needles will bind and be worthless. are you sure you're not just experiencing this?

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
got it. and from what ive read on the nets, its a problem some people have, but not all.

usually things like this bother me, but im not really bothered by this. i really only notice it when im sitting on the seat bouncing while not moving.. i can still feel it while moving, but im more concerned about not hitting stuff, so i dont notice it all that much

more or less curious if it will cause premature failure to a needle bearing or any other component, or if it is completely normal to feel that little click. on one post i found, the guy manged to off center the ID of his inner sleeve, although it was plastic..? (mine is SS, i believe)
http://faqload.com/faqs/bicycle-components/suspension/real-world-cycling-shock-eye-needle-bearing-kit-install-on-anthem-x
(scroll down a bit)

also maybe i should have been more clear in the OP, its more or less something you feel.. you can still hear it, but when everything else is dead silent.

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
I had that kit in my Sunday for quite a while. Make sure the bearing needles are packed with an ample amount of grease, that seemed to help. After a while I disassembled to service and each individual needle fell out, but I was able to collect them all, load them back into the cartridge and it still seemed to work fine. That being said, it wouldn't hurt to have an extra needle bearing cartridge just in case.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Why? I was under the impression that the new Fox bushing system was the sh*t and basically made the needle bearing kit unnecessary.
You're a year off, that's why (update was for 2013). :)

I'd pick them over needle bearings any day.