Quantcast

Rx Glasses

Blueadder

Chimp
Jul 19, 2004
Lafayette, Louisiana
My eyesight is turning to crap and have a eye doctor appointment this thursday.

I was wondering if anyone here had any experience with the Oakely brand Rx glasses. I like a few of their styles and I really need something that will stay on tight while I'm riding and running:which my oakely sunglasses do a great job of.

Any other recomandations? I don't think I'll be getting contacts because I have some serious problems with my eyes around allergy season.

Blueadder

Chimp
Jul 19, 2004
Lafayette, Louisiana
firetoole said:
I have had a pair for about a year and they are pretty sweet, but they were some serious $coinage$

do you have the clear lens with the antireflection?

It looks like the pair I want, why 4, will cost about 250 then about another 200 for the lens. Sounds right?

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
try out Zeal.com .. a lot of their frames are RX compatible, and they are not an insert .. they can do the prescrption and everything, and added bonus is there reasonable prices and they make good looking frames

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
I'm in the same boat. I need something for this season other than my regular glasses. The only thing is that I don't always need sunglasses. Sometimes I would need the something clear. And I'm trying to figure out if, over time, contacts would be cheaper because I'd only be wearing them for riding.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
hooples3 said:
try out Zeal.com .. a lot of their frames are RX compatible, and they are not an insert .. they can do the prescrption and everything, and added bonus is there reasonable prices and they make good looking frames
Link doesn't work. Are you sure that's correct?

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
I wouldn't recommend getting a prescription pair of sunglasses. Especially Oakleys. The prices I have heard of people spending are far too outrageous. Give contacts a try, if they don't work for you then go the way of the glasses.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
Polandspring88 said:
I wouldn't recommend getting a prescription pair of sunglasses. Especially Oakleys. The prices I have heard of people spending are far too outrageous. Give contacts a try, if they don't work for you then go the way of the glasses.
how's the cost if I just had a pair for riding and nothing else? I wonder if, to replae them over time, it would eventually equal the $ of the glasses?

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
bluebug32 said:
how's the cost if I just had a pair for riding and nothing else? I wonder if, to replae them over time, it would eventually equal the $ of the glasses?
I take it you mean a pair of contacts. A box of "2 week" contacts (I wear them about a month per pair, my eye doctor said to) lasts me about 6 months. With health insurance, they go for something like 20 dollars a box and you will need 1 box per eye if the perscription is different. Assuming you pay 250 dollars for a set of presciption sunglasses, which would be on the cheaper end, you are looking at 2 or 3 years worth of contact lenses. Now I don't know about you, but a pair of sunglasses that I wear riding will not last me 2 or 3 years. If I am lucky I keep a pair for a year. That and the fact that if your prescription does change, you are SOL as far as the sunglasses go. To me it is just more worthwhile to just get contacts as I can't envision using a 250+ dollar pair of sunglasses for a sport that will inevitably kill them.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
I've got a pair of Rudy Project Rx sunglasses (in frame, not an adaptor) and they're pretty nice. But, that being said, I'm trading them in for a pair of Zeals real soon.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
oh sorry for the wrong addy... forgot it was zealoptics..
anyways the sunglasses are made well, and most are still great for off the bike.. I belive I have the zectors in several colors, you can also buy just the lenses in different colors to replace them .. well worth the money

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Glasses suck. Period. I've been wearing glasses since I was 12. They break, they get in the way, peripheral vision is still blurry, and it doesn't matter how much you spend, they're only going to fit right for a month or two. They're fine for work or school, but the only thing I've found that actually stays put while riding/running is sports goggles. I'd recommend getting a decent pair of glasses for everyday use, but do yourself a favor and get some contacts for sports. $40 gets me 6 pairs of "2-week" lenses. Which, with some care and since I only wear them about 3 times a week, I usually keep for a month.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Zeals work just fine and never fall off. I had the same pair for like 4-5 years until I put them on the lift chair at pkill while I was adjusting my helmet and they got blown off into the abyss below by wind :mumble: They come in large lens sizes too if you are worried about peripheral coverage.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Lasix?

My wife had it done last year. One of the best decisions she ever made, she said. And she wore coke bottles, too.

Blueadder

Chimp
Jul 19, 2004
Lafayette, Louisiana
thanks guys. I guess I'll defiently try to put up with contacts, but I just don't think I'll beable to wear them.

Any other recomandations on contacts?

And I'm not really worried about a pair of oakely's falling off. I've had my sunglasses for close to 4 years now and I've never had a problem with them while riding.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
I actually rode all last year in my regular prescription glasses and sunglasses. It was all good (yet annoying with worrying about them fogging up) until a couple months ago when I accidently left them on top of the car and they got totally gooshed in the road :mumble:

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
Blueadder said:
thanks guys. I guess I'll defiently try to put up with contacts, but I just don't think I'll beable to wear them.

And I'm not really worried about a pair of oakely's falling off. I've had my sunglasses for close to 4 years now and I've never had a problem with them while riding.
I wear Acuvue 2 contacts. They are quite comfortable.

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
Blueadder said:

my eyes started going bad sr. year of high school. Found a great optomotrist that got me to wear gas permeable lenses. Sucked getting used to them and I don't wear them anymore unless it's for SCUBA or maybe skiing, but they actually corrected my nearsightedness a bit. Since I've been working in the field of CAD, my eyes have continued to get better. Different theories on why that's happening.
Oakley Race Jackets are the best mtb rx glasses I've ever had. They look a little goofy imo but the rx part on the curved lenses is great and the vents are aimed perfectly to defog fast. I went with the standard Oakley 'persimmon' colored lens and it works great for day or night riding.....they actually tone down the blue in my HID light so it's a bit easier on the eyes and make it seem more like a super bright halogen.
Due for a new set of frames for non-riding so I'll look into some different Oakleys and zeal this time.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
Polandspring88 said:
I take it you mean a pair of contacts. A box of "2 week" contacts (I wear them about a month per pair, my eye doctor said to) lasts me about 6 months. With health insurance, they go for something like 20 dollars a box and you will need 1 box per eye if the perscription is different. Assuming you pay 250 dollars for a set of presciption sunglasses, which would be on the cheaper end, you are looking at 2 or 3 years worth of contact lenses. Now I don't know about you, but a pair of sunglasses that I wear riding will not last me 2 or 3 years. If I am lucky I keep a pair for a year. That and the fact that if your prescription does change, you are SOL as far as the sunglasses go. To me it is just more worthwhile to just get contacts as I can't envision using a 250+ dollar pair of sunglasses for a sport that will inevitably kill them.
Or....

You get a pair of rimless, titanium framed composite photogray lens glasses and wear them EVERYWHERE. My father accidentally threw his tools into his toolbox on top of his pair after changing brakes last week and they came out with just a small scuff on the lens.

Along the same vein, I've sat upon my Maui Jims (same composite lens/titanium frame design), dropped them, twisted them, etc etc and they have been unharmed.

Contacts. Yech. As much as I hate my glasses, I'll never use contacts.

Jan 7, 2004
D.C. area
I'm in the same boat. I've been mtn. biking for two years without being able to see the terrain ahead of me clearly. I tried contacts in the fall so I could actually see while I ride. I have astigmatism in both eyes, and after four pairs of contacts with different prescriptions that didn't work for me, I gave up on contacts. Not only did they not stay on my eyes properly... they were a huge pain. Not a good idea for me to be touching my eyeballs after camping at a race in my muddy truck.

So... I'm yet another person looking into glasses that can be worn under my goggles or the like....

Lasik is too expensive!

Thanks to all who have posted advice on here!

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Blueadder said:
My eyesight is turning to crap and have a eye doctor appointment this thursday.

I was wondering if anyone here had any experience with the Oakely brand Rx glasses. I like a few of their styles and I really need something that will stay on tight while I'm riding and running:which my oakely sunglasses do a great job of.

Any other recomandations? I don't think I'll be getting contacts because I have some serious problems with my eyes around allergy season.
I have had oakley RX for about 5 years now. I currently am up to 8 pairs. Lemme know what you want to know, and I'll do my best to answer.

I cannot wear contacts at all. It won't help my problem, and my eyes are too sensitive even if they could. I am a good candidate for lasik for my astigmatism, but not for the halos i see due to concussions.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Capt. Jack Sparrow said:
I have astigmatism in both eyes, and after four pairs of contacts with different prescriptions that didn't work for me, I gave up on contacts...
Good point. The ability to wear contacts depends on the severity of the astigmatism. Normal soft lenses can't correct an astigmatism. Weighted soft lenses can, but it takes a certain shape eye for them to work and then can be very expensive. Hard lenses will correct the astigmatism but I hear they're not very comfortable.

My advice above is based only on my experiences after what seems like a lifetime of hating how my glasses fit. Maybe my face is crooked or something. Contact definitely aren't for everyone. :)

Blueadder

Chimp
Jul 19, 2004
Lafayette, Louisiana
Transcend said:
I have had oakley RX for about 5 years now. I currently am up to 8 pairs. Lemme know what you want to know, and I'll do my best to answer.

I cannot wear contacts at all. It won't help my problem, and my eyes are too sensitive even if they could. I am a good candidate for lasik for my astigmatism, but not for the halos i see due to concussions.
do you have the why 4? Are they pretty durable and tight?

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
BikeGeek said:
My advice above is based only on my experiences after what seems like a lifetime of hating how my glasses fit. Maybe my face is crooked or something. Contact definitely aren't for everyone. :)
Very true. I have been wearing contacts since I was in the 5th grade mainly for sports purposes (I was a catcher, try ripping the mask off with glasses). They have been nothing but great for me since then. I have had the best luck with contacts as glasses usually don't fit my face right.

I would at least suggest trying contact lenses. You might be surprised, or your suspicions might be confirmed, but either way, its not a very expensive experiment and you will find out for sure which route to take.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Blueadder said:
do you have the why 4? Are they pretty durable and tight?
Actually, I was going to get the why 5 ti this winter, but went with the split thread instead. I wouldn't call them durable, as they are called the thread for a reason. The arms are literally thread thin and super bendy. If i sat on them, they woudl break for sure. I have sat on my ewires...they are bombproof.

The split thread ended up being lighter and a better fit for me. The wire series are all pretty nice. If you want a good tight fit, i recommend the ewire 2.1 . The spring hinges make a HUGE difference, but some people do not like them as they find them too tight. I have a small head, so they work perfectly for me.

I heavily recommend getting a thicker wire model with spring hinges and earsocks (the rubber arm covers) if fit and stability are your main concern. (ewire, awire, cwire etc) The thin wire arms on the ewires and the like are awesome for getting a nice tight fit.

I believe that all Oakley Rx arms are formable though, as even the plasticey arems on the offlines have a fit point and can be curved gently in your hands.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Just curious, Transend, which one do you think is the best for riding, i.e. the most wind protection?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
sanjuro said:
Just curious, Transend, which one do you think is the best for riding, i.e. the most wind protection?
I wear racejackets for riding and snowboarding. They are the goon looking things that Lopes and Gracia wear. No way in hell they will fall off, bomb proof plastic, no hinges etc.

old photo, but same glasses. Far right.

I'll go shoot a shot of the new RX stuff just so that blueadder can see what I mean about the threads.

mammothpunks

Chimp
Sep 27, 2004
Mammoth
I have oakley big squares with rx lenses and love them. The curved lenses take some time to get used to, but once your eyes adjust they are much nicer than conventional flat lenses. My prescription isnt that strong so I never use them riding. I dont like the fit with a helmet on.

Blueadder

Chimp
Jul 19, 2004
Lafayette, Louisiana
Transcend said:
I wear racejackets for riding and snowboarding. They are the goon looking things that Lopes and Gracia wear. No way in hell they will fall off, bomb proof plastic, no hinges etc.

old photo, but same glasses. Far right.

I'll go shoot a shot of the new RX stuff just so that blueadder can see what I mean about the threads.
mg]
I have pair of A wire sunglasses that I have had for close to 3 years now. My question to you is, can I use the frame and send them off to have new lenses fitted in them?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Blueadder said:
I have pair of A wire sunglasses that I have had for close to 3 years now. My question to you is, can I use the frame and send them off to have new lenses fitted in them?
You sure can! Send them off to oakley and they will sort you out. Just make sure that your RX will fit in that particular frame (lens thicknesses and spehere make a big difference here). Oakley lenses themselves are stunning, it is no contest compared to regular optometrist lenses in the same frame.