Quantcast

Ryder Hesjedal finished with mountain biking..

Aug 27, 2004
ya i know....that really sucks big time, he was my favorite rider in cross-country (next to kabush)...but i guess thats were the money is for biking these days

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Yeah he was also my fave, partly cause he's one of the only riders my height lol. It's true though since Roland Green is gone there is no real talent in mountain biking, well nothing even compairible to road. I think Ryder knows he will do better on the road and even if he never wins anything it's still way cooler to live and race in europe. I personally think xc racing is a dying sport, or at least the pro racing of it.
I personally am finished with it, it's just stupid and no fun imho. After the first 20 minutes you know who will win than the positions stay the same for the next 2 hours almost, very boring. I;m glad to see Ryder is finished with it.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
I just realized something, Ryder would have been 2003 world champ if it was for Filip Merhager (sp?) who was a doper. Thats gotta suck....

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
JMAC said:
Yeah he was also my fave, partly cause he's one of the only riders my height lol. It's true though since Roland Green is gone there is no real talent in mountain biking, well nothing even compairible to road. I think Ryder knows he will do better on the road and even if he never wins anything it's still way cooler to live and race in europe. I personally think xc racing is a dying sport, or at least the pro racing of it.
I personally am finished with it, it's just stupid and no fun imho. After the first 20 minutes you know who will win than the positions stay the same for the next 2 hours almost, very boring. I;m glad to see Ryder is finished with it.
You hate xc already? Didn't you just start racing seriously this year? Succes takes lots of experience and the cumulative fitness gained from multiple seasons of racing and training. MTB xc racing is probally the hardest endurance sport in the world next to xc ski racing. I don't race XC as much or as seriously as I used to, but not because i think it's "stupid and no fun" but because I'm racing on the road, and cross, and dh, and BMX now as well so there isn't that same incentive. But seriously you don't need to go pro or win to have fun racing XC...

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
SuspectDevice said:
You hate xc already? Didn't you just start racing seriously this year? Succes takes lots of experience and the cumulative fitness gained from multiple seasons of racing and training. MTB xc racing is probally the hardest endurance sport in the world next to xc ski racing. I don't race XC as much or as seriously as I used to, but not because i think it's "stupid and no fun" but because I'm racing on the road, and cross, and dh, and BMX now as well so there isn't that same incentive. But seriously you don't need to go pro or win to have fun racing XC...
Actaully yeah i shouldn;t of said stupid and no fun. I still love xc racing I just don;t like the format of the races. I most of gotten myself burnt out cause I've lost all interest in it. I had great motivation for like 2 years staright but a little less than a year ago it's been on and off so I can never really get ahead. I just wasn;t enjoying mountain bike racing at all, didn;t like travelling to races. Mainly I don;t like driving alone for 4 hours, one way.

Anyways I keep training, not as much as I used to but I have no idea what I want to do so far. I know I want to do a marathon (running) or two this summer and in the futur and Ironman. Other than that I have no idea what I'm doing. There's no more mountain biking around here either, all the trails have houses been built on them so I have no good riding except for an 1.5 hour drive away from here. Also all my friends have giving up mountain biking to. :(

Tashi

Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
Oh well, he always seemd like kind of a quitter to me. Enjoy the road there guy!

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Wtf I've just stopped racing XC, still mountain bike. GEeezz all you haters. I'm just starting triathlon instead, I'm built better for tri than xc everyone being telling me that and now I;m finally going through with it.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
well at least we know ryder was doing it for the money. Why else would he switch over to road biking? maybe he knows he sucks and can blame is failures o na team in the road cycling world.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
biggins said:
well at least we know ryder was doing it for the money. Why else would he switch over to road biking? maybe he knows he sucks and can blame is failures o na team in the road cycling world.

What? Ryder doesn't, and never has sucked.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
im not saying he does, i dont know much about the guy but he has always seemed more money than passion oriented.

Tashi

Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
Yep, not enough fear of the DNF if you ask me. I think that those should be avoided at all costs. Any racer that I respect will feel the same way- never give up!

Enjoy the road, at least it's still bikes.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Well money aside Ryder was offered a spot on the Discovery Team which is one of the top ranked teams in the world. He would be fool to not take up the offer.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
I always thought he was a giant geek carrying a roadie 'tude to the xc sport......have fun on the road geek.......

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Cant Climb said:
I always thought he was a giant geek carrying a roadie 'tude to the xc sport......have fun on the road geek.......
What do you know anyway? OH OH thats right, NOTHING, now get lost. I don;t think anyone cares about your useless veiw of someone you don;t know. :nopity:

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
JMAC said:
What do you know anyway? OH OH thats right, NOTHING, now get lost. I don;t think anyone cares about your useless veiw of someone you don;t know. :nopity:
yeah Ryder just did the tour of Quatar.........finished near the bottom. When he fizzles on the road with the sicko druggies he'll come crawling back. Right now he got a condascending attitude on mt. bikes. Mountain bike made him what he is.....gave him clout....

you get lost.....go bore yourself to death on your road bike. I'll be out spinning too......spinnning in the pines.

jon cross

Monkey
Jan 27, 2004
Banner Elk, NC
He DOES have a condescending attitude towards mtn bike racing, especially if it's a race he isn't making a bunch of money at. I had a lot of respect for him until I met him, the dude's a prick- he should fit in nicely in the Euro roadie lifestyle.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
jon cross said:
He DOES have a condescending attitude towards mtn bike racing, especially if it's a race he isn't making a bunch of money at. I had a lot of respect for him until I met him, the dude's a prick- he should fit in nicely in the Euro roadie lifestyle.
Ryder is talking about the riding all the classics. I'll believe that when i see
it....

Domenstiques don't make alot of cash. I bet his mt. bike salary was comparable and 1/10 the stress. After he crushed for a year on the road he'll move from being a C rider on Discovery to a full C level team. Then he'll see what his value on the open market is.....

He should have stayed in mountain biking and invested in some attitude adjustment and made a nice long term fun living for himself. I guess he thinks he is going to succeed Hincappie as the wind blocker in the lead group. Good luck with that Ryder......

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
LMAO - Can't Climb, you talk about Ryder having an attitude? Pot calling the kettle black. You are so much better than a stupid roadie.

PFFFFt, heavy on the sarcasm.

jon cross

Monkey
Jan 27, 2004
Banner Elk, NC
Maybe cutting his teeth the hard way and working for someone else will teach him a bit about humility, though I have my doubts. The classics are brutal, if he has what it takes there will be no hiding it, of course the opposite is also true. Let's just say good luck to Ryder, hope you learn a thing or two this year (much more polite than, hope you get schooled, but hey- I'll give him a shot, we are all arrogabt SOBS at some point in our lives right?)

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
jon cross said:
The classics are brutal, if he has what it takes there will be no hiding it, of course the opposite is also true.
If they even put him in the line-up for the Classics i would be shocked......a rookie racing with the A team..........no way. He's a rookie with no experience and no resume at that level to boot. Discovery is giving him a shot......its a long shot at best.....

He should have stayed in MTB where he has been honing his skills for the last 8-9 years.....

jon cross

Monkey
Jan 27, 2004
Banner Elk, NC
Well, he was working with Rabobank's developmental squad a while back, and US Postal ni 2003 (or was it just last year?). He's not 100% rookie, and he's strong enough to at least make a small contribution to the team effort. The problem I see is that, from what little I have personally seen of the guy, he's not really into the whole "team" concept. He is more about the "how can this benefit me" idea. Maybe this is different now, or maybe he was just at a bad point in the season when I met him, but if not, I really will enjoy reading about him being fed to the wolves.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
European road racing is not exactly easy to make a big splash. If any North American goes there, has a few placings in the minor races, and competes in 1 major tour, that is an amazing first season.

A guy like Damiano Cunengo is a super talent, who made a big splash in his first few years as a pro. But there is a lot of politics in bike racing. It is unfortunate, but with so many personalities and sponsors, it is hard.

I think Bruyneel is an excellent manager, so he keeps it to a mininum. But don't expect Ryder to be hammering along Lance in the TdF this year.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Cant Climb said:
yeah Ryder just did the tour of Quatar.........finished near the bottom. When he fizzles on the road with the sicko druggies he'll come crawling back. Right now he got a condascending attitude on mt. bikes. Mountain bike made him what he is.....gave him clout....

you get lost.....go bore yourself to death on your road bike. I'll be out spinning too......spinnning in the pines.
UMMMM any rider who is in top form now, sucks. They won;t do well when the real season begins. Again you don;t know what you;'re talking about stick to mtbing please. :nuts:

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Cant Climb said:
Ryder is talking about the riding all the classics. I'll believe that when i see
it....

Domenstiques don't make alot of cash. I bet his mt. bike salary was comparable and 1/10 the stress. After he crushed for a year on the road he'll move from being a C rider on Discovery to a full C level team. Then he'll see what his value on the open market is.....

He should have stayed in mountain biking and invested in some attitude adjustment and made a nice long term fun living for himself. I guess he thinks he is going to succeed Hincappie as the wind blocker in the lead group. Good luck with that Ryder......
Well actaully he does have a good build to be a roadie. He's an awesome climber, and he already proved himself on the road last year with USP team. He just didn;t ride road full time. Again you guys are all morons.

mattv2099

Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
Bellingham, WA
sanjuro said:
European road racing is not exactly easy to make a big splash. If any North American goes there, has a few placings in the minor races, and competes in 1 major tour, that is an amazing first season.
Well, considering ryder has been road racing in europe for more than four years, I don't think he has to adjust very much. Last year he raced with postal. the previous two years he raced with rabobank in belgium. And at other times he did euro and asian races as part of the canadian national road team. Ryder is no starnger to road racing.

Ryder explicitly states in interviews that the top mountain bikers in the world make no more than 250k$ per year. And, well, he of couse mentions that decent roadies start at about 250k per year and go up in to the multi millions...

Ryder has made the right choice. All the top cycling athletes are on the road. XC is for those people who can't make it in road cycling.

CoMo

Chimp
Nov 13, 2004
SoCal
JMAC said:

Roland Green is not gone, he will be back with the Kona team this year. Should be a pretty strong team.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
CoMo said:
Roland Green is not gone, he will be back with the Kona team this year. Should be a pretty strong team.
Yeah I heard that to, I was missing him. I think he must have just gotten messed up when he had been world champ for what 2 year in a row? than got loads of sicknesses. It's super hard to keep form like he had for years, I don;t blmae him for disappearing for awhile.

mattv2099

Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
Bellingham, WA
JMAC said:
Yeah I heard that to, I was missing him. I think he must have just gotten messed up when he had been world champ for what 2 year in a row? than got loads of sicknesses. It's super hard to keep form like he had for years, I don;t blmae him for disappearing for awhile.
well, he didn't just disapear or lose form. In 2003 while racing with team US Postal at the Tour Of Georgia Roland crashed real hard and landed on his face. He got a major consussion. This injury pretty much screwed 2003. In 2004 Roland had illnesses and he was still recovering from the TDG crash. And at one of the first World Cups of 2004 roland had his head down and was hammiring at 30 mph when he crashed into a drunk spectator. Todd wells said that this crash was the gnarliest crash he'd ever seen. Roland has had much bad luck in the last 2 years which derailed his olympic hopes... oh well. hope he comes back.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
mattv2099 said:
well, he didn't just disapear or lose form. In 2003 while racing with team US Postal at the Tour Of Georgia Roland crashed real hard and landed on his face. He got a major consussion. This injury pretty much screwed 2003. In 2004 Roland had illnesses and he was still recovering from the TDG crash. And at one of the first World Cups of 2004 roland had his head down and was hammiring at 30 mph when he crashed into a drunk spectator. Todd wells said that this crash was the gnarliest crash he'd ever seen. Roland has had much bad luck in the last 2 years which derailed his olympic hopes... oh well. hope he comes back.
Oh yeah I totally forgot about TdG and that stupid spectator. I hope the spectator got hurt or punish for being so stupid. :mumble: