Quantcast

Rye Airfield Big Wheels Contest Revival

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
I've been making inquiries about organizing an MTBMX contest at Rye Airfield. There used to be one, but it's fallen off in the past couple of years. I am recently unemployed and need to fill my time, so I've decided to try and bring it back. The guy at the park got back to me and said the park would be available May 8th or 15th. Some time just before Highland opens back up is what he wants to shoot for. The only catch: I have to locate 30 interested people to make it happen. No word on entry fees, yet. Suffice it to say this won't be a money-making operation. I'd just like to give the winners a taste and cover some refreshments.

I would like to get a few classes going. Am/Expert/maybe pro too. Peer judged, jam format.

This is the first step, I will be trying to sign up a couple of sponsors to throw in product for prizes as well. If this sounds like something you would take part in please post a reply. This will be the petition that helps make it happen.

http://www.ryeairfield.com/

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Try hitting up some mtbmx companies to see if they'd be willing to furnish product as prizes (obviously in return for being listed as an event sponsor). Hell even stickers or t-shirts for a product toss.

woody,
met you at rye the other night, i was on the 24" suburban with orange handle bars. this is awesome man, glad you're doing it. if you need any help let me know, my email is comstockr@gmail.com I know at least 7-10 people that would probably show up and ride in am/expert and just have a good time.

let me know if i can help,
Ryan

Beast

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Where the riding is good
Great work getting this rolling Woody!

Below are some updates from the facebook event page

Okay, we're on:
The date is set for Saturday, May 1st.
This is one week before Highland is set to open.

Registration is 9am-3pm
Contest begins at 5pm

Entry fees include day pass to the park
$50 for pros - 50% payout for cash prize
$25 for experts and am classes, no age ranges

We'll be doing a semi-jam format, roughly as follows:
5-7 riders in the park at a time. Each rider gets a solo intro run, then there is a 5min jam for the group, then a final trick for each rider.

Warm up (open to all) between groups while judges tabulate scores.

Finals will be the same format:
5-7 riders, intro run, 10 min jam, final trick

There will also be a 5 minute last chance qualifier jam.
This will be open for all as a last-ditch chance to get into each respective final.

Best Trick will be after finals while scores are tallied.
As a fun challenge we'll pick one specific element in the park to work with.