Quantcast

S.F. Grand Prix in trouble

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Back to the original topic - there is no way San Fran can let that race go away. It has to bring a ton of spectators out and downtown to spend money. I mean, all the teams stay in hotels and eat at local restaurants...as well as the fans!

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
Heidi said:
Back to the original topic - there is no way San Fran can let that race go away. It has to bring a ton of spectators out and downtown to spend money. I mean, all the teams stay in hotels and eat at local restaurants...as well as the fans!
Sadly, that won't sway them either way...SF is always packed to gills with tourists...

Edit...huh...after reading the story through, maybe the city is hurting for money...you'd never know it if you try to get up there for a damn dinner or the ballet!

næstep

Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
SF Bay Area, California
Heidi said:
It has to bring a ton of spectators out and downtown to spend money. I mean, all the teams stay in hotels and eat at local restaurants...as well as the fans!
You're right! Me and my wife spent $14 on BART tickets, spent another $12 on crepes-to-go on Columbus, and I bought a $90 Hypnotic jacket from a dude with a booth at Justin Herman Plaza. (I don't quite see how the tax on that $12 crepe and my share of Hypnotic's booth space allows SF to forgive a $.5M loan).

But seriously, You're Right! This is how a city promotes itself to the world. The TV coverage, press coverage, and goodwill an event like this generates isn't something money alone can buy. SF needs to embrace the event (just like SJ is eating a huge cost for the Grand Prix race).

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Cities NEVER have enough money. I don't care how many tourists you think you have, governments cannot budget properly.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
SF bitches that it can't attract the film industry any longer and has trouble getting big concerts etc etc......
Wonder why?

This event can do nothing BUT benefit the city.
The fees are to pay for police and stuff. Its a scam to make up for their losses when things like protests happen that they can't recoup $$ from.