Quantcast

S Florida - Saturday ride (PIC HEAVY)

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
For your amuzement. I just copied my post from our local forum, so just ignore the names (they are non :monkey: 's) and some of the stuff that seems irrelevant to you. BTW it was REALLY HOT and Humid

Here is also a video of some of the riding. It was after lunch, I am in the Blue sleeveless Jersey (I was in a white Jersey earlier in the pictures)

http://www.ubeek.com/markham/markham_rough_cut.mpg Right click save-as please

Saturday Morning 9am. I arrive right around 9am at the trail

Right in front of me is Jason and as we pull into the trail head a number of folks are already there unpacking their stuff

Posner, Catzilla unload their bikes as Postwick and Allison walk around

Colin, Erica and Lynn getting ready while Catzilla supervises.

Jav and Postwick checking out SBM's umm.. What are you guys doing?

Jason the webmaster and his new Yeti

There was actually a great turn-out but I took a crappy group picture before heading out, so this was the best I had.

Then it was off into the trails. I stopped in Rock-Garden to snap a few.

Then it was on through Armadillo and out the other end where Eric Posner stopped to well... He can tell you what he was doing.

Then a few folks going down the BlackHill ramp (sorry for the crappy exposure)
Jason

Postwick

and Finally Colin

Then we stopped again in Area 51 for some pics. Jason was kind enough to grab the camera and snap a few since he "heard" I might want to be in a picture or 2.

Me hitting the DNA bridge (featured in BIKE magazine)

Then Postwick (he cleaned it his first time... NICE)

Then after Area 51 there is the remainder of SuperCross

Jason

Postwick

Then it was off into Outback. Here is UpBack and the little drop and berm just after

Here comes Eric Posner, up the hill

Then me over the little root/drop

Then Jason

Then after Outback we regrouped before entering the Gunrange.... To enter the Gunrange first you have to over the toothpick Bridge..

Eric first

Not so fast tough guy... see what happens when your tire is bigger then the bridge

Then he went back and got it with some style

Then the rest of the crew
Trev about to own it

Owning it

Colin

And Erica making sure there were no snakes for anyone else

The drop down to the picnic table was a little much for a few guys that jumped into our group as they busted a$$ on the way down it, sending a tire hurling into my testicles :cry: . After the clean-up I got some pics

Postwick made it all the way through the Gunrange on his first ride at Markham. Here he is making his way up the last climb. Right after I showed him how to go down the last drop. :cool1:

From here the group got a little split up, some were getting a little hot, so I finished up a lap and we all headed back to the trail head. There we set-up for lunch

What happens when a bunch of MTBers that do Trail Maintenance are hungry and dont have a spatula for the burgers? That's right, clean up a Machete. Catzilla after she stole my beer, but what was I going to do, she had the knife!

Then for the hell of it, we busted out the CM Banner. I figure the next group ride might get bigger

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
damn, i wish we would have brought our bikes, although we like to travel with carry-on only. Looks like we going to trade our wheels in for paddles this week, which is a shame b/c those trails look sweet & it looks like fun was had by all.

I am going to show this thread to my parents who STILL say they cant find a spot to ride down here. :rolleyes:

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
I Are Baboon said:
That toothpick bridge looks fun too, but should only be one board wide. :devil:
The ride up it is.. mainly because the other board rotted away and we haven't replaced it yet :devil:

The trails are all on County park property, so we are lucky we can build stuff like that. Because some how anything wooden like that bridge 4" off the ground scares the Risk Managers, yet they dont even notice stuff like this in the same PARK! :mumble:

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
TN said:
damn, i wish we would have brought our bikes, although we like to travel with carry-on only. Looks like we going to trade our wheels in for paddles this week, which is a shame b/c those trails look sweet & it looks like fun was had by all.

I am going to show this thread to my parents who STILL say they cant find a spot to ride down here. :rolleyes:
Next time Id be more than happy to receive your bikes if you wanted to ship them ahead of time.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
LOOnatic said:
Swet pics Rob.

I knew Jason would buy a new bike after that death march in Pisgah.

Ah, i remember Markam fondly :love:
Yep, that trip pretty much confirmed his sickness for MTB. The only problem is now. He really cant upgrade as he gets better :rolleyes:

tonyhawk

bikerag.com whore
Sep 21, 2003
CT
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
The trails are all on County park property, so we are lucky we can build stuff like that. Because some how anything wooden like that bridge 4" off the ground scares the Risk Managers, yet they dont even notice stuff like this in the same PARK! :mumble:
Keep it au natural. We've had a lot of luck flattening fallen trees into skinnies, both for bridges over eroded areas and for trail enhancement. Natural materials are much more asthetically pleasing to land managers than wooden planks, plus they tend to blend in with the surroundings better.

Sweet pics - looks like a fun ride!