Quantcast

S&M selling out?

mattt

Monkey
Jul 21, 2009
texas
I heard a rumor that Chris Moeller is selling S&M... and this is why Robbie Morales has quit on the Fit Bikes brand...

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
He should sell.
Retire, move to a nice island someplace. Far away from dumb little kids.

He deserves it.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
http://espn.go.com/action/bmx/blog?post=4516855

Morales, Hawk and Roche off Fit

End of an era for Fit Bike Co.

September 29, 2009, 3:44 PM

By: Brian Tunney

Big gossip news in the BMX world. Fit brand manager Robbie Morales, along with team riders Chase Hawk and Dakota Roche have quit Fit Bike Co. Ride BMX is confirming it as well. I heard about it earlier, but didn't really want to believe it, you know?

Since I don't know the entire story, I'm not going to infer on what was happening behind the scenes, but when I asked Morales in Vegas last week how everything was going with both the brand and the video, he said, "We'll find out next week." And now I know what he meant.

Fit Bike Co. was started in 2000 by Chris Moeller of S&M Bikes. Morales served as brand manager/team manager/go-to guy since the company's inception, building the brand, team and company image into one of the most influential in the history of BMX.

An era is truly over in BMX. That's all I've got to say for now, but keep checking back and we'll try to elaborate on this story as it unfolds more this week.

Here's the official statement from Chris Moeller (S&M, Fit):

"From day one Robbie helped build an amazing team for Fit. I had known Mike, Van, and BF for a long time, but I actually never imagined they'd ride for us. Robbie did, and he made it happen. He also introduced us all to Edwin, one of the most innovative and influential riders ever. Robbie definitely has a gift for spotting the best and most stylish riders around.

"I called Robbie yesterday to ask him about some more shady rumors I heard at Interbike and he got frustrated and abruptly quit his job. I immediately got a call from Hawk and Dak who also quit the team. Months ago I had been approached by Robbie to start a new brand with only the younger team riders, so this didn't surprise me, but I was bummed to lose these two because I like them both a lot. I have no hard feelings toward any of the guys and I think everyone should do what makes them happy. So good luck boys, and new frame sponsors be aware if you need some Dak or Hawk frame gussets we have some for sale!" --Chris Moeller

poekie

Chimp
Mar 21, 2009
http://espn.go.com/action/bmx/blog?post=4516855

Morales, Hawk and Roche off Fit
. Months ago I had been approached by Robbie to start a new brand with only the younger team riders--
I \'m bummed more about this, apparently robo wants to ditch van/edwin/bf cause they probably dont bring enough money on the table

I always respected fit for being one of the few bikecos (FBM as well) that keep riders on their teams just because theyre awesome in general/did a lot for bmx/have been riding for them for ages rather than only if the tight pants kids are into them..

I guess the recession shows how people really are

ronnyg801

Chimp
May 27, 2009
I cant speak for anyone as far as what is going on but as far as the recession comment some people dont have a choice but to do things they normally wouldnt in a level market.

I am bummed to hear the rumor though. I am gonna ask a good friend of mine Monday what the scoop is. He is definitely in the know.

poekie

Chimp
Mar 21, 2009
I cant speak for anyone as far as what is going on but as far as the recession comment some people dont have a choice but to do things they normally wouldnt in a level market.

I am bummed to hear the rumor though. I am gonna ask a good friend of mine Monday what the scoop is. He is definitely in the know.
fair enough but I still dont think fit will be suffering too bad seeing how popular their stuff is and how much bmx is still growing.

(yes im contradicting myself with my previous post, i know)..

ronnyg801

Chimp
May 27, 2009
Rob-o left, I didnt hear anything about Chris selling out and by the sounds of it, he didnt. Sounds to me like Rob-o did, along with some others, It was supposed to be a "f-it for life thing".

I know that Aitken is staying I believe Foster is as well. From the person I talked to this wont be a bad thing for Fit or any of the riders staying on. Only time will tell for the new line from the guys who left.

ronnyg801

Chimp
May 27, 2009
As far as people and companies suffering from this market, I think you would be really surprised as to how many people are. I know that BMX is a very youth oriented sport and I know a lot of kids have to save every penny and if their lucky get their parents help buy small relatively inexpensive parts.

There are a lot of people out of work or being cut back. With all these people out of work they are finding jobs to make ends meet. I know some of these jobs have to be entry level jobs the youth would normally be filling.

Even if some of these people haven't experienced any cut backs or job losses the media and their scare tactics have a lot of people nervous about spending etc.

OK OK, enough grown up talk, lets get back to dream builds, trail progress, showing off new toys and parts etc :D