Quantcast

S.S. with a casette

fear7sphere

Chimp
Jul 25, 2002
Peoria, Il
can any one tell me how people wouls turn thier casette in to a single speed?
i think that they put spacers on them but i havent seen a good up close picture to be able to figure it out yet.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
take apart a couple of LX or lower cassettes, ones that don't use spiders for light weight. Use all the spacers to replace cogs which you aren't using. You can take an individual cog from the cassette and use that, but your chain will skip off a lot less if you buy one that isn't ramped. Making sure your chain line is straight helps a ton too.

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
If you are using it for street, urban, dirtjump whatever you want to call any of that then consider going to the hardware store and picking up 2 large washers. They have some that have an inner diameter of your freehub Body and an outter diameter that will be larger than you cog. Put those on on either side of you cog (with spacers in between and you have a guide so you never loose your chain.
Also there are kits for the spacers because you normally don't have enough
Spacer Kits

8it

Chimp
Apr 6, 2003
NYC
Buy a conversion kit, I bought one that came with the spacers and a cog at JensonUSA for $15 bucks no fuss no muss. They now sell one from Gusset that looks good for $20 bucks. If you have vertical dropouts then you are going to need a chain tensioner like the Surly singulator or go getto style with an old derailleur.