Quantcast

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
Did they just use the dremel on the weldings?

Did they refuse any detail shots of the frame just for the hype?:think:
Just looking at the pictures present on the web makes his statement a little difficult to believe as well. Unless they are now hydroforming two sections and grinding off all the welds, then it appears to be a composite. Kind of hard to refute that at this point.

Last edited:

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Did they just use the dremel on the weldings?

Did they refuse any detail shots of the frame just for the hype?:think:
You can't see anything in those pics. I think they do use smooth welds (double pass to smooth out the beads). I saw the bikes all week long and talked with Troy and Brendan a couple times. I did not directly ask either of them if they were carbon because you could see welds under the paint plain as day. I checked them out and they were just very nicely painted Demos not the carbon one we saw pics of at Whistler. The bikes looked great but were not carbon.

I could be wrong but I doubt it, Transcend would know for sure.

Last edited:

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
Well there you go. Perhaps the 'no photo' crap was to create some hype.
Well that didn't work very well.

Maybe instead they should have leaked something about a new suspension design to replace the 8-year old triple-stays rather than an S-works paint job.

Nothing against the demo or continuous improvement on a design. I guess it's kinda like the Porsche 911, with enough refinement you can make even a fundamentally flawed concept work really well - they both got a lot of junk in the trunk!

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Well that didn't work very well.

Maybe instead they should have leaked something about a new suspension design to replace the 8-year old triple-stays rather than an S-works paint job.
I'm fairly certain they are quite happy racking up world championships on their "8 year old" design. ;)

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
That swingarm design has been stiff as fvck™ and really light for years. Coming up with something else for the sake of people who can't tell what they're looking at would be a little silly.
Exactly. It may have 6 stays but somehow they can still build up 35lb DH sleds with it that survive under guys like Brendan.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I really don't get it. All it is is a split chainstay on a horst link bike. From an engineering standpoint, doing it with two tubes is adding more rigidity with about the same amount of materia as a single piece.....like extra ribs in an I-beam.

People get so hung up on that for some reason. "huh huh, lots of stuff, me not like, SMASH!! SMASH!!"

NoUseForAName

Monkey
Mar 26, 2008
I really don't get it. All it is is a split chainstay on a horst link bike. From an engineering standpoint, doing it with two tubes is adding more rigidity with about the same amount of materia as a single piece.....like extra ribs in an I-beam.

People get so hung up on that for some reason. "huh huh, lots of stuff, me not like, SMASH!! SMASH!!"
It allows them to put the shock wherever they feel is optimal. And had the benefit of making shorter chainstays and a stiffer back end.

What's not to like?

roel_koel

Monkey
Mar 26, 2003
London,England
the Demo was a breath of fresh air after the Big Hits ;)

the Big Hit was kinda wobbly in the rear when pushed hard (especially once the bearings were worn in)

and had physical limitations: longer chainstays, high standover height and high centre of gravity, due to the shock packaging / interupted seat pod

also, the FSR suspension on the Big Hits hung up the square edge bumps quite noticeably with a near vertical axle path, compared to the later Demos which had a more rearwards path (relatively speaking)

the Demo allowed them to do everything they wanted with the FSR platform by introducing much more design flexibility into the system, dropping standover / cog and shortening the rear stays :)

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
The demo deserves a lot of credit, no doubt, but I don't think it's the fundamental design that deserves the credit...it's still the same old FSR linkage with relatively little anti-squat but active braking. It's the refinement that deserves the credit...in geometry, bearing design, FEA, materials, weight reduction, leverage ratio/shock tuning, etc.

I really don't think the triple stays give any advantages that can't be achieved in other designs given similar levels of refinement, especially given 8 years to do it...

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
It also seems alot smoother around the lower part of the shock tunnel. I compared it to my own and mine is alot more squared off, the same goes for the weld that connects the tunnel to the downtube.

Considering it was a while before champs they had a proto out in whistler, it seems highly likely they would give their top riders an edge at worlds. But a great marketing scheme none the less, someone has done their homework over at the big S.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
You can't see anything in those pics. I think they do use smooth welds (double pass to smooth out the beads). I saw the bikes all week long and talked with Troy and Brendan a couple times. I did not directly ask either of them if they were carbon because you could see welds under the paint plain as day. I checked them out and they were just very nicely painted Demos not the carbon one we saw pics of at Whistler. The bikes looked great but were not carbon.

I could be wrong but I doubt it, Transcend would know for sure.
like these?

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
best way to know is at the bb erea,if its got a flat piece welded under-neeth it if not plasticzzz

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
This thread is definitely awesome!
how meny oakley limited editions are you guys making.

I've followed all threads and I only see one model,and the tld facebook page FINALLY updated and put that same google.

Is there seriously only one pair/color of tld oakleys ?????

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA

I've followed all threads and I only see one model,and the tld facebook page FINALLY updated and put that same google.

LOL, will SOMEONE please answer this guy's question so he can stop asking everyone and their mom about it? :rofl:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.

As mentioned already, there is at least 2 - red and orange. Stop friggin' obsessing already, christ. It's a pair of goggles?