Quantcast

:) (: Sa-turd-ay :) (:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Ugh. Finally effectively done. 11 fucking hours. But I did find that my MIL owes me $750. She hasn't paid me for the phone since last Jan and still had to pay me back for all of the expenses of getting her back in May.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Bike advice needed.... put new chain and chain ring on the bike last night. Cassette didnt look worn, so didnt bother with that

Chain is now skipping in the middle of the cassette. Not going into higher/lower gear, just skipping/hopping under load.

Does this point to a worn cassette?
Most likely the cassette is worn, but check the cable housing for drag by pulling off the ferrules. If the wires are extending past the plastic part, trim it.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Worn cassettes work well with worn chains. I used to replace my chains when they hit the 75% wear mark and save them. Once a new chain didn't work so well I cycled through my worn chains and they would work great for quite a while. Figured I got a lot of extra use from both my chains and cassettes.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Ugh. Finally effectively done. 11 fucking hours. But I did find that my MIL owes me $750. She hasn't paid me for the phone since last Jan and still had to pay me back for all of the expenses of getting her back in May.
not being married....it's your mother in law....i'd say fuck it and forget it.....unless your wife says otherwise....

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
not being married....it's your mother in law....i'd say fuck it and forget it.....unless your wife says otherwise....
Wifey told me to ask her for it. It's not like she doesn't have the money; she just got distracted with winding down the law firm she worked at and moving.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Worn cassettes work well with worn chains. I used to replace my chains when they hit the 75% wear mark and save them. Once a new chain didn't work so well I cycled through my worn chains and they would work great for quite a while. Figured I got a lot of extra use from both my chains and cassettes.
That's some next level "penny pinching" (for lack of better term).

Here's one for ya; I remove my chain and lay it out flat on a bench to lube, wipe excess then reinstall, back pedal, then re-wipe. My drivetrain remains clean and chains last longer. Most would look at it and think the chain was dry. But if you run your finger lightly under the chain you should have just a small stain, indicating the correct amount. No soggy gears here.