Quantcast

Sacramento Monkeys?

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Yeah...dont do the DH thing so much. Guess I will have to learn. Rode Downieville way back when, shuttling just doesn't turn me on...

New truck is being delivered to Auburn, will check the area out. Do you know the American River trail?

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Yeah...dont do the DH thing so much. Guess I will have to learn. Rode Downieville way back when, shuttling just doesn't turn me on...

New truck is being delivered to Auburn, will check the area out. Do you know the American River trail?

Ton of loops out of Auburn that are 4-5 inch travel bike friendly ass kicking rides and if you go up to Tahoe there are some kick ass trails, same for Bullards bar on the way to Downieville

ben10

Chimp
Feb 24, 2008
Auburn is close and has a lot of good riding. Go talk to the guys at auburn bike works. They are my favorite shop. Closer to sac is granite bay. Some ok riding. I have heard of some good secret stuff around there...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Auburn and Downieville within an hour
lol, well, I guess if you average them?

After living in mountains in Arizona, and now in Alaska, I find the trail options around Sac to be pretty skimpy, Auburn is alright, but you can ride all the trails worth riding relatively quick, it's not bad, but it's really not that many miles of trails. There is Salmon Falls and Rockville, in opposite directions. Rockville is sessiony-technical and Salmon Falls is straight XC without much very up or down. Of course you have Tahoe/50/80 corridors not too far away, but Sacramento is a pretty flat metro area, not like Phoenix, where there are mountain-parks all over the city with decent riding. Growing up off of highway 50 in the foothills, I was kind of amazed at the lack of trails, given how favorable the terrain was and how much forest area there is. If it was AZ, there'd be all sorts of cool stuff going on, but it's pretty stark there, Sly Park and Flemming Meadows, which are both pretty tame XC stuff, with the lake trail being actually a little more technical.

For me, Sac wouldn't be close enough, it'd still be a major hassle to get to trails every day that I'd want to ride IMO. Maybe Roseville or Folsom, but there are way too many people trying to live there at the same time.

Grass Valley/Nevada City is much closer to many more practical trail options, if you can get a job. Reno is probably a good backup if you need to live close to the mountains, but also need a job and a low cost of living. Don't rue out Santa Rosa/North of the Bay, where again, you can get to a variety of trails, also close to Mendocino, which is one of the actually "happening" MTB places in NorCal right now.

Last edited: