Quantcast

Sacramento Riding?

DsDhBxracer13

Monkey
Feb 18, 2004
Burlington, Vermont
Not sure if Sacramento is considered North Cal or not. I am looking at going to school in Sacramento next year and I wanted to know what the riding is like. First off can you ride year round? Next I am a semi-pro DH racer, are there good DH trails, jumps, freeride stuff, etc. As well are there good trails just to ride on, train on, etc. Thanks for any help you guys can give me.

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
If Santa Cruz is NorCal, Sacramento is. Auburn is right there, I hear there are some cool trails there. And of course Northstar is only a few hours away. Thats some good DH.

HarryCallahan

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
SC mtns
Well, it does snow in the Sierras in the winter. If you look at a map, Auburn and Placerville, which are both east of Sacramento, are usually below the snow line.

Winters in the Sacramento valley can be dreary, but you can at least road ride to stay in shape.

Raacerx

Monkey
Auburn has some great stuff. There are some good DJs around Sacramento too. Auburn is like 30-45 minutes away and like everyone said, Northstar is open to bikes in the summer and theyve got some pretty knarly stuff. Not big, just uber rough and rocky.

sapdesigns

Chimp
Dec 22, 2004
nor cal / sc
The guy is from vermont so he knows winter and is already one big step in the right direction. The riding gets better and better all the way up 80 or 50 to tahoe.

Yeti DHer

I post here but I'm still better than you
Sep 7, 2001
The Foothills
Theres lots of places to ride in sac. Ranging from weekend shuttles in auburn (which has really grown the last couple of years. Ton's of new faces) Folsom lake for your xc riding along with lots of other places in the area. Downieville is close, tahoe has tons of riding, the bay area is close so you can hit up pacifica and other spots. Basically, theres tons of riding here. I wouldn't want to live anywhere else but in the foothills.

Northstar

Auburn DJ's

Sandhill

Shells (bay area)

Theres a lot of street spots scattered all around downtown sac

Theres a couple bmx tracks in the area too...

Did I mention Tahoe? I love it up there.

I have a lot more photos of riding spots on my site... www.norcalphoto.com

DsDhBxracer13

Monkey
Feb 18, 2004
Burlington, Vermont
Hey guys, thanks again for the advice. For those of you who ride in Tahoe, I am also looking at going to school at Sierra Neveda. Would you say that riding in Tahoe is better then in Sacramento, I hear the riding is pretty nice in Tahoe. Only thing I am thinking do they get snow, and does it stay warm enough to ride year round. At least a decent temperature, like around 40 and up. Thanks again.

Low_b

Monkey
Mar 27, 2002
Them thar Foothills
Tahoe gets more snow than anyone from the eastcoast could ever imagine.
Get used to digging tunnels to your front door in the winter.
In the summer it rocks!!

sapdesigns

Chimp
Dec 22, 2004
nor cal / sc
Definately no riding in tahoe in the winter...think 10+ ski resorts. West of Auburn and placerville is where you'll find the majority of winter riding.

sapdesigns

Chimp
Dec 22, 2004
nor cal / sc
Low_b said:
Tahoe gets more snow than anyone from the eastcoast could ever imagine.
Get used to digging tunnels to your front door in the winter.
In the summer it rocks!!

I don't even see any dirt??? Gotta love tahoe.

SpuTTer916

Monkey
Dec 3, 2003
The OV
It looks like most people already have this topic covered :) Yes you can ride year around. Auburn/Folsom XC trails are fine most of the winter. Good night riding on a few trails as well. Northstar is close, bay area is close, Auburn rocks and is in our backyard. Life is good.

DsDhBxracer13

Monkey
Feb 18, 2004
Burlington, Vermont
You guys say that you can't ride in Tahoe year round. Maybe the school I am looking at is not directly in Tahoe. I just looked at the weather for where the school is, and it says it is in the high 60s. I would assume there wouldn't be to much snow around then. The school is Sierra Neveda College in Incline Village Neveda, I guess that is pretty close to Tahoe.

SpuTTer916

Monkey
Dec 3, 2003
The OV
Tahoe has snow for sure.. Nevada has many flat parts that are way under the snowline, it depends where it is :)

Call them and ask...

HarryCallahan

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
SC mtns
Dude,

Look at a map. Here's a link to yahoo. Incline village is a ski resort very near to Lake Tahoe. Maybe you heard they got a little snow there back around Christmas and New year's.

OK, it's 60 degrees today. That's California for you. There's a high pressure over the west coast right now, and that drives temperatures up. Dig a little deeper and see what average highs and lows are for this time of year. Try the same search on Truckee, which is not too far from Incline and probably has records going back 150 years or so.

http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?ed=M7tNO.p_0TqT&csz=Incline+Village,+Nevada&country=us&new=1&name=&qty=

Yeti DHer

Sep 7, 2001
The Foothills
It's 75 here today and the sun is shining. I just got back from an after work xc ride and it so nice outside. I can't wait for summer!

captainpolution

Turbo Monkey
Nov 18, 2004
Yeti DHer said:
It's 75 here today and the sun is shining. I just got back from an after work xc ride and it so nice outside. I can't wait for summer!
yea c dog. summer is right around the corner. get to hit up auburn tomorrow after school. it will be nice and sunny. SICK yoyoyo

DsDhBxracer13

Monkey
Feb 18, 2004
Burlington, Vermont
Guys any suggestions on a place to live. I am really interested in this school, and it seems the tuition is reasonable as well, which make me want to go there that much more. I looking at if I got a place in Auburn, it would be 35 minutes to school according to map quest. How is the traffic in the area, does this sound correct. I wouldn't mind getting a place kind of in between. I was searching for apartments online in different areas. I was looking at Citrus Heights, seems like a good spot, about 25 minutes from both Auburn and Sacramento which means I could ride whenever I want. I may be moving out there with another guy from the east coast, but he won't be going to school out there. How is the job scene, easy or hard to find one? Any recommendations you guys could give me would be most appreciated.

captainpolution

Turbo Monkey
Nov 18, 2004
citrus heights isnt the best place to live, especially with all of your bikes and such but it all depends on the area. places in carmichael are pretty nice. anywho i would tell you about the job scene but ive been trying to get one for like 2 months and nothing yet but if you want one im sure you could get one fast

Yeti DHer

Sep 7, 2001
The Foothills
My commute from Roseville (20 minutes closer to sac than auburn) takes about 40 minutes to get to arco arena. You would need at least an hour to make it to school. Some cities between Auburn and sac are: Roseville,carmichael,north hylands,folsom (check into folsom, theres some good stuff there...

As far as jobs, check http://sacramento.craigslist.org/ . They have a big job section thats pretty good for all kinds of jobs.

Yeti DHer

Sep 7, 2001
The Foothills
captainpolution said:
yea c dog. summer is right around the corner. get to hit up auburn tomorrow after school. it will be nice and sunny. SICK yoyoyo
Who is Captainpolution? Have I seen you around before? :think:

Low_b

Monkey
Mar 27, 2002
Them thar Foothills
DsDhBxracer13 said:
College in Incline Village Neveda, I guess that is pretty close to Tahoe.
Yea its about 2 miles from the water.. :p
Its 60 there today but theres still 6 feet of snow.
Actually Incline Village doesnt get as much snow as other areas of the lake but they still get hammered.

captainpolution

Turbo Monkey
Nov 18, 2004
Yeti DHer well not really. im friends with jared so there is one, then i saw you at the NWD5 showing in granite bay, then i remember you passed me once up at N*. of course i only knew who you were because of the norcalphoto site. cheers

calskierx

Chimp
Mar 13, 2005
If i were i would go to school in tahoe especially if you like Dh because You can practice everyday. And winter is always open fro skiing or snowboarding,Tahoe is amazing , ill be living there soon and i allready consider myself a local due to the fact that im there 3 days a week at least. Incline is lke 20-25 minutes from N* and downieville is uber close too. YETI im just getting my back back together after some surgery last summer and would like to meet up with you guy's in the next month or so, maybe you can show me some good Freeride/Dh stuff in the auburn area. i live in davis and want to try out sandhill asap.

for_sale

Chimp
May 25, 2004
Truckee
Incline is lke 20-25 minutes from N*

Its not even that far! Some of my friends live there, and I'm there almost nightly, it takes me like 10 to 15 minutes to get to work in the morning (N*)

Tahoe is the greatest place to live. I thought that school was a private chruch school? I guess not. There's also places like Tahoe City and Kings Beach. KB is kinda dumpy though you can find pretty cheap rent.

BackToMTB

Chimp
Mar 16, 2005
...just thought I'd note that there's no legal off-roading along the American River parkway - plenty of horse trails, but you can get tickets if caught by a ranger. There's a local group that's trying to change all that since only something like .4-.8 of park users actually ride horses on the horse trails :)
Yes there's Auburn only 30min away up 80, but don't forget Upper and Lower Bidwell parks in Chico, which is about 1.5hrs away. Also the Bay area spots start about 2hrs away :)

SpuTTer916

Monkey
Dec 3, 2003
The OV
Dont forget Rockville... its only 45 minutes away.

Also, Citrus Heights isn't a bad place to live and it's certainly not 'ghetto'. If you guys think CH is ghetto you need to take a trip out of Granite Bay. :(

I think it would be a good place to live on a budget of a student.

captainpolution

Turbo Monkey
Nov 18, 2004
SpuTTer916 said:
Dont forget Rockville... its only 45 minutes away.

Also, Citrus Heights isn't a bad place to live and it's certainly not 'ghetto'. If you guys think CH is ghetto you need to take a trip out of Granite Bay. :(

I think it would be a good place to live on a budget of a student.

CH isnt ghetto, but really it isnt as bad as north highlands. i live in carmichael so i get a good mix of all that stuff. but yea i try not to "expose" my bike when im over there, not too safe, eh?

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
Dude, I lived in downtown Sac last year and had a bunch of bikes stolen from my apartment that had security. Do not live in the lettered streets, midtown is a hole.

Look at Folsom, look at CH. If you want to live in Tahoe get used to snow, and get a 4 wheel drive.

J_B

Monkey
Sep 20, 2004
In My '09 WRX STI
I patrol North Highlands, Elverta, Rio Linda and Antelope. North Highlands is pretty bad. Rio Linda and Elverta aren't too bad. That's all you need is to have a tweeker eyeball your bikes and they'll be gone in a heart beat.

There are pockets in Antelope that aren't too bad. I used to live there until I moved to the most northern end of Roseville. Much nicer over here but that's what I get for buying a new house. .

My buddy who work Citrus Heights tells me it isn't too bad there.