Quantcast

Sad News -- Desmond Dekker is dead

lux

Monkey
Mar 25, 2004
Wilmington, NC
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060526/music_nm/dekker_dc

"WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Jamaican reggae pioneer Desmond Dekker, famed for the genre's first worldwide hit with "Israelites," has died of a heart attack at his home in England, the Jamaica Observer reported on Friday. He was 64.

The newspaper said the singer/songwriter, whose 1960s fame was eclipsed the following decade by Bob Marley, died on Wednesday...."

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I saw that this morning too and was greatly saddened. Even if you didn't know who he was or hear his music (which I would highly recommend) you have no doubt heard bands and styles highly influenced by him. This is almost as sad as when Joe Strummer and Joey Ramone died.

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
lux said:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060526/music_nm/dekker_dc

"WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Jamaican reggae pioneer Desmond Dekker, famed for the genre's first worldwide hit with "Israelites," has died of a heart attack at his home in England, the Jamaica Observer reported on Friday. He was 64.

The newspaper said the singer/songwriter, whose 1960s fame was eclipsed the following decade by Bob Marley, died on Wednesday...."
Serious loss for Jamaican music.:(
RIP Desmond.

J

JRB

No idea who this is, but it's sad that more people care about him dying than Buck Owens.

J

JRB

lux said:
That was sad. Buck is one of my heros. The Bakersfield sound, you know.
The best show I ever saw was with he and Dwight. Not that it's not sad this cat died. I don't dig reggae, but I am sure lots of folks are having a bad time with it. Bummer for them.

ummbikes

Don't mess with the Santas
Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
loco said:
The best show I ever saw was with he and Dwight. Not that it's not sad this cat died. I don't dig reggae, but I am sure lots of folks are having a bad time with it. Bummer for them.

The 'litist scum will never fully 'preciate the goodness of Mr. Owens.:)