Quantcast

Sad news from SB

Apr 9, 2004
Mount Carmel,PA
I hate to see things like that. I have taken to no longer ride on the side of the road when i train. I ride right in the lane like every other vehicle. if somone wants to pass me then they have to cross the center line to do so. That is a ticketable offence. Bicycles not only have to obey the same laws as other vehicles ( see the ticket post) they also have the same rights.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
That's really sad. I wasn’t there, so I don’t want to rush to judgment, but it sounds like the truck driver was negligent.

I have shuttled up that road many times, and you really have to be careful of bike riders, and sometimes you have to fall back and wait for a chance to pass—it is a pretty sketchy road. My thoughts and prayers go out to her family and friends...

Potroast88

YouTube Boy
Jan 18, 2004
Bomb City
Its just ridiculous that crap like this continues to happen. We all know that she didn't lose control and fall under the wheels of a truck.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
Potroast88 said:
Its just ridiculous that crap like this continues to happen. We all know that she didn't lose control and fall under the wheels of a truck.
His story does sound a little suspicious to me. Chances are pretty good that he grew impatient, and decided to pass her when he didn’t have the room.

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
blt2ride said:
His story does sound a little suspicious to me. Chances are pretty good that he grew impatient, and decided to pass her when he didn’t have the room.
It said he tried to pass her with a foot of space between him and her. It is kind of hard not to lose control when you have 12 inches of clearance between you and an 18 wheeler. Absolutely ridiculous, terrible judgement on his part.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
The driver of the truck and trailer, which was carrying a full load, was behind Ms. Payne and attempted to pass her when she apparently "lost control of her bicycle and was thrown to the roadway and under the trailer," the California Highway Patrol reported.

The truck had only about a foot of clearance when the driver, Miguel Almaguer, 26, attempted to pass, the CHP said.
Riiiiiiiight.

bomberboy11

Monkey
Jul 15, 2005
At a computer...duh
We passed this girl as my friend was giving me a ride to the top no more than a couple of minutes before she was hit. If anyone knows Gibralter Rd. and knows the size of these asphalt trucks, it's pretty obvious they dont mix. I don't think there is a square foot of space on some of those turns untouched by the wheels at some point. It's a 60 some foot long truck on a little 1-1.5 lane mountain road. If it had been on one of the few straightaways on the road, there might have been clearance, but definetely not if he was passing around one of the corners. Too bad, another UCSB student was killed 2 days ago surfing at one of the campus beaches by being thrown into some of the rocks (so I hear). Not a good week around the area.