Quantcast

Sad News from Sea Otter

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Not sure on the bridge myself, but like I said Rumors were that he actually had a Heart attack and thats what actually made him crash. I cannot confirm that seeing how I have not seen that in print. The link I listed is the only Info I have found as of yet

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Very sad. I talked to him a few times in the past, super nice guy.

I knew someone would fall hard on that bridge. Very sad it cost a life.
Most people I talked to at the Otter were saying it was NOT a problem with the course, but rather a heart attack or another medical problem while riding that caused him to crash. He may have been unconscious before he hit the ground. If true he would not have been able to protect himself, making his fall that much worse. We may never know but in any case I don't think it's fair to blame the course.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
I'm not religious by any means, but prayers go out to his family.

As far as the course goes, that bridge was not a difficlut section at all, and when you're racing, you hardly even notice that you just passed over it. From what I've heard about Mark, I also have a hard time beliving he would have had any problems with it if something else wasn't up. Sad to lose someone so passionate about riding.

If I had to go out though, I'd rather do it on my bike than sitting at home watching TV.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
According to the autopsy it wasn't a heart attack.

The wife spoke to the first responders. Tire went off the bridge, neck and chest went into the edge. They were unable for over an hour to get a tube down his throat or to get his heart started.

Hell of a loss, but at least he went doing what he loved.
Our thoughts go out to the family he left behind.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
terrible news. i was getting ready to race right when it happened, nobody knew but was going on but we knew it was bad. i only heard rumors that he had crashed by the bridge and i never really confirmed it until today. i heard that he was taken to a hospital and then immediately helicoptered out to a trauma center. my thoughts are with his family.

Old_Sckool

Monkey
Jun 5, 2007
Very sad news. Hits close to home. I may have raced Mark in the past, since we are the same age and class.

Deja Vu. Mark Reynolds was also the name of the mountain biker killed by a mountain lion in Orange County a couple years ago.

Slater

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
Its really sad about Mark.

It doesn't help that he'd had 3+ concussions in the last year.

Best wishes to his family.

J_B

Monkey
Sep 20, 2004
In My '09 WRX STI
Brett aka gonefirefightin' was the one who found him and started cpr. I got all of the details after he got back to the EVOMO booth. I will not relay what he said as I would rather have him tell his story.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Tragic that we can lose one of our own so quickly.

Thoughts are with his family.

Respect to gonefirefightin.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Tragic that we can lose one of our own so quickly.

Thoughts are with his family.

Respect to gonefirefightin.
I was trying to remember his RM name... he posted a brief account of what happened yesterday morning when the servers were up - but then when they were taken down again for the move his post somehow got lost/erased.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
thanks to the nor cal guys and the nor cal monkey crew on hand to give support.

He basically went off the ladder bridge at a pretty good rate of speed, went off the side and snagged a pedal on the bridge about 4 feet off the ground and went over the bars. all of the trauma was to his neck head and face. he was a wearing a good full face but it was demolished due to the trauma. I gave CPR for close to 20 minutes untill the ambulance arrived and worked on him some more untill he was packaged and inbound to the hospital, he was flown to san jose. when he left me he was still unresponsive with no real signs. it was quick. within 30 seconds of him going down.

major props to the Evomo and nor cal monkies for the help.

a benefit ride is being planned, more to follow.

feel free to send messages to the fam through the site, wickedracin.com

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
thanks to the nor cal guys and the nor cal monkey crew on hand to give support.

He basically went off the ladder bridge at a pretty good rate of speed, went off the side and snagged a pedal on the bridge about 4 feet off the ground and went over the bars. all of the trauma was to his neck head and face. he was a wearing a good full face but it was demolished due to the trauma. I gave CPR for close to 20 minutes untill the ambulance arrived and worked on him some more untill he was packaged and inbound to the hospital, he was flown to san jose. when he left me he was still unresponsive with no real signs. it was quick. within 30 seconds of him going down.

major props to the Evomo and nor cal monkies for the help.

a benefit ride is being planned, more to follow.

feel free to send messages to the fam through the site, wickedracin.com
Respect to your efforts and knowledge.

Such a sad deal, thoughts and healing wishes to Mark's family.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
gonefirefightin

Many people would have waited for the EMTs. Thanks for trying to save him. Everyone riding DH benifits by having someone like you around if they go down.

My thoughts are with the family. At least he was riding.

jimw

Monkey
Aug 10, 2004
Santa Cruz, CA
I met Mark on a trail in Santa Cruz that we both loved to ride. I got to talking to him about his Dualrailleur, and it was evident how passionate he was about biking. On the trail, he was always willing to try anything, and really supportive of everyone else. Just a great guy. I was sold on his Dualrailleur because I saw it in action. He bent over backwards to get it set up on both my bikes. I spent a few long evenings at his house, and had long, interesting conversations about bikes while he worked on my bike. I told all my friends about his product and what a great guy he was. Eventually they started carrying the Dualrailleur at my local shop.

Even though I only knew him breifly, I considered him a good friend. He was just that kind of guy.

I saw him at the top of the DH course on Sat. I was in the age class ahead of his, and in typical Mark style, he came up to me with a big smile and wished me luck, and said &#8220;see you at the bottom&#8221;. But I didn&#8217;t see him at the bottom&#8230;

My sincere condolences to his family. Such a terrible loss. Probably not much consolation, but I bet this is probably how he would have wanted to go&#8230; just not yet.

Gonefirefightin', thanks so much for your efforts (and good meeting you at the Evomo booth). I am kicking myself now that I was down at the bottom when all this was happening and had no idea.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Thanks everyone for your notes, mark was truly a great guy and he was living the dream. It is ironic we were talking to him literaly hours before the race. and he was mentioning how fun this year has been for him and how many friends have helped him since interbike.

I will continue to post, up coming and current events in the bay area nor-cal forum when I learn about them.

jimw

Monkey
Aug 10, 2004
Santa Cruz, CA
Some of Mark's friends got together for a memorial ride the other day. We shuttled some of his favorite trails in Santa Cruz.

Every bike in the truck was Dualrailleur-equipped. Mark would have been stoked.

We set up a little tribute at one of his favorite spots, and each said a few words about him.

Then we aired it out for Mark.

It is somehow oddly appropriate that on this day, after 3 1/2 years of beatdown, my bike finally decided it had had enough. On the second shuttle both chainstays snapped clean off at the joint. But the Dualrailleur was OK!

Here's to you Mark! :cheers:

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Some of Mark's friends got together for a memorial ride the other day. We shuttled some of his favorite trails in Santa Cruz.

Every bike in the truck was Dualrailleur-equipped. Mark would have been stoked.

We set up a little tribute at one of his favorite spots, and each said a few words about him.

Then we aired it out for Mark.

It is somehow oddly appropriate that on this day, after 3 1/2 years of beatdown, my bike finally decided it had had enough. On the second shuttle both chainstays snapped clean off at the joint. But the Dualrailleur was OK!

Here's to you Mark! :cheers:
Thats awesome Jim. I am bummed I missed out on that.

You ok after the frame snappage?

SeaPig

Monkey
Sep 20, 2005
Seattle
I wish everyone who is directly affected by this loss that you find something good from this. I was on the hill at the time and the story of Mark, whom I have never met, has grown with me and will always be there. Thanks for your remembering, I'm sure your friend will be as strong in his passing as he was in his life.