Quantcast

Sad News from the Race Across America (RAAM)

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
I had the chance to crew as a mechanic on a couple of RAAMs back in the early 90's. I saw first hand what these guys go through. It's a sad day when something like this happens. My thoughts and prayers go out to his friends and family. Stay safe out there, guys (& gals).

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Yah, I've been following want I can of that race online and this sucks. It isn't the first time someone has died during the race unfortunately. :(

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
dh girlie said:
Damn, what a shame...what the hell kind of race is this that people die during it? Holy cow!

On another note...that picture was the guy that died and he was racing in the 50+ category? Damn...he was in great shape.
:(

To answer the first question, there was that Japanese girl who died DH racing at Big Bear not too long ago.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
we have a huuuuuge charity ride here in western pa for MS (im sure there are the same in other states)...anyway 2 weeks ago a guy died during that...got "out of control" and hit some type of barrier, killed him on impact, cause was blunt trama to the head...

sad stuff

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
dh girlie said:
Yeah I know...I was at that race...but I thought Heidi said it wasn't the first time someone died during THIS particular race...maybe I misunderstood...
Ahhh... sorry. Misunderstood you. Either way, things like this suck. I always find it hard to read about cyclists killed while riding.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
You have to understand, RAAM is about endurance. These guys usually don't sleep until the second night of the race, and even then it's only for an hour and a half or so. The guys I crewed for usually were only sleeping for a couple hours a day by the end of the event.

It wasn't odd for competitors to fall asleep while riding and fall. Usually it didn't happen in bad spots, but if you fell asleep and veered into oncoming traffic, there's not much a driver could do. That's what it sounds like happened.

The other thing that many competitors face are hallucinations while riding. And man do they get cranky, but what you do expect, give them another dixie cup of pretzels and keep talking to them. It's about all you can do to keep them going.

The last competitor that died, I believe, was the member of the go-ride team a year or so ago. When he finished his teammate took over for him, he turned around on the road and was hit by a semi coming the other direction.

Currently, I have a friend of mine racing on TeamGiveLife. Hope they're doing well.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
It's too bad that this story, and a call for awareness, won't get any real news coverage, but fuggin Tom Cruise getting splashed with water is jaw dropping for Americans...

Sad.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
peter6061 said:
Currently, I have a friend of mine racing on TeamGiveLife. Hope they're doing well.
The current standings show them in last place in their 4 man category...but hey, they are RIDING ACROSS AMERICA!