Quantcast

Saddle Recomendations

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Ok I am no lightweight at 220 but the generic bontrager that came with my Trek in creaking badly on the rails. Time to replace. Not going to race looking more for something that will take a beating yet be comfortable in the rough stuff for hours of riding trails

the bike

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
JK. WTB Rocket Vs have always gently caressed my behind. Not sure why I ever got rid of it in the first place. I should get another.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Went from a Titec Berzerker DH saddle to the SDG Bel Air 2.0. I too lost a bunch of ass padding and needed something a bit smaller. Been on 6 weeks or so and am quite happy with it.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I've had excellent results with the Selle Italia Flite - I have this saddle on 2 of the bikes I ride the most, this one easily has a thousand hours on it. When I get a new bike in a few weeks its likely that this saddle will end up on the new bike. You can get slightly used take offs for $30 to $40 or NOS for $50 or $60 on ebay. I don't remember but its possible that these are road saddles - I had road saddles on all my mtbs in the 90s, Its how I rolled. :monkey:

View media item 2777

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Ok I am no lightweight at 220 but the generic bontrager that came with my Trek in creaking badly on the rails. Time to replace. Not going to race looking more for something that will take a beating yet be comfortable in the rough stuff for hours of riding trails

the bike
The saddle is creaking because your wheels are too small and your hubs too narrow.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
I've had excellent results with the Selle Italia Flite - I have this saddle on 2 of the bikes I ride the most, this one easily has a thousand hours on it. When I get a new bike in a few weeks its likely that this saddle will end up on the new bike. You can get slightly used take offs for $30 to $40 or NOS for $50 or $60 on ebay. I don't remember but its possible that these are road saddles - I had road saddles on all my mtbs in the 90s, Its how I rolled. :monkey:

View media item 2777
I have that on my road bike, tried it on my Mt bike, not the right dirt saddle for me.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
Went from a Titec Berzerker DH saddle to the SDG Bel Air 2.0. I too lost a bunch of ass padding and needed something a bit smaller. Been on 6 weeks or so and am quite happy with it.

I totally forgot about that saddle. It was on my bike that got stolen, great saddle for me. I found one on EBAY new for $44 with free shipping it will be here Friday. Even it I hate it I'm not out much $$

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I've had a Chromag on my bike for at least 8 years now. Most recently is a Lynx DT. It's at least 5 years old, and only showing signs of wear now. It has been flawless for me in the comfort department, including on 5 hour days. I like that it has a wide, padded nose. It allows me to get on the front for those technical climbs without stabbing my taint. The shape is not so pronounced that there is only one position that is comfortable - which is a problem I have with the WTB rocket-series. Basically, for me, it's the best saddle I've ever used. highly recommended.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Eric: WTB gives out demo saddles to their dealer, as in, you can take any saddle out on your bike to test ride it. Ask around. (I'm a big fan of wtb saddles) Also if you have a Specialized dealer close by, their Fit guys can use a thing to measure your for a saddle and suggest the most ergonomic for your ass/bones structure. Because, science.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I've had a Chromag on my bike for at least 8 years now. Most recently is a Lynx DT. It's at least 5 years old, and only showing signs of wear now. It has been flawless for me in the comfort department, including on 5 hour days. I like that it has a wide, padded nose. It allows me to get on the front for those technical climbs without stabbing my taint. The shape is not so pronounced that there is only one position that is comfortable - which is a problem I have with the WTB rocket-series. Basically, for me, it's the best saddle I've ever used. highly recommended.
I had one of those on my old Transition DH bike. You're right, it is a pretty comfy saddle. Chromag seems like a pretty cool company, too. I watched that DH bike cartwheel down Bromont a few times, one of which ripped the rails out of the bottom of the seat. They said if I couldn't fix it, to send it in for a replacement. Ended up ramming it back in somehow and rode it for another two years.

I might need to look for another..

I currently have a Fizik seat on the trail bike. Its okay, but I do find myself needing to give the ass a little bit of a rest on really long rides. It also has a very pointed tip, which hurts quite a bit if the bike tries to ride you, instead of you riding it...

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I hate to acknowledge it, but the Specialized fitting process it worth it. Go to a Spec shop and get your butt fitted. They will tell you how wide of a saddle you need for your sit bones. From there decide what brand you want. I actually like my Spec saddles and run one on all of my bikes.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I have always thought the Saddle trial program was BS. Until a saddle breaks in.... You have to do the work and take a chance. Saddles usually meet their optimum comfort just before they fall apart or die in a crash. I tend to like flight replica saddles But have lived through a silly purist Brooks period. If you put in the time a Brooks Cambium is the way to go. PSP was right...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Recommending ass-platforms is a fool's errand. You're gonna have to figure out this one on your own, old man.
This.

Saddles depend on your personal anatomy, and bike setup. Some of the seats recommended here would cause me excruciating pain, as my saddle would do the same to others.

Here are some non conventional setups you should try and report back

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Eric: WTB gives out demo saddles to their dealer, as in, you can take any saddle out on your bike to test ride it. Ask around. (I'm a big fan of wtb saddles) Also if you have a Specialized dealer close by, their Fit guys can use a thing to measure your for a saddle and suggest the most ergonomic for your ass/bones structure. Because, science.
Which shops in the area do the WTB program? My current saddle makes my dangly parts go numb sometimes; I'm going to go out on a limb and say that periodic numbing of the ol' gonzo nose isn't in my best interest.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Which shops in the area do the WTB program? My current saddle makes my dangly parts go numb sometimes; I'm going to go out on a limb and say that periodic numbing of the ol' gonzo nose isn't in my best interest.
gotta get the taint vent. I can't ride a saddle without the center channel for relief.