Quantcast

Saddles that can make up for slack seat tube angles?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Trying to stand without dropping the seat is a non starter with steeper seat tube angles, which can be really annoying in rolling terrain constantly dropping/raising the seat.
I've found that with my saddle in the right position, I have better weight distribution for climbing without too much shifting for flat. Everything out here is rolling- there's virtually 0 time that you aren't climbing or descending (even if it's 5 feet). I find that having a steeper seat angle allows me to climb better than trying to shift my weight every 5 seconds.

I think if you're doing hour long climbs you may need a more bio-dynamically efficient position, but when I need to weight the front and don't want to stand for a climb, getting the right saddle position is essential.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Shouldn't on flat terrain a bike have pretty neutral weight distribution F/R when in the saddle?
Weight distribution should still be slightly rear of centre even on flat terrain. You're still moving that bicycle forwards at speed

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
Steep STA on short travel bikes are stupid IMHO. But mid to long travel bikes it makes sense, because when sagged the STA gets slacker by a lot.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Steep STA on short travel bikes are stupid IMHO. But mid to long travel bikes it makes sense, because when sagged the STA gets slacker by a lot.
If your bike frame engineer got the anti squat right then there is not much sagging.

sundaydoug

Monkey
Jun 8, 2009
I never knew seat angle was a fashion statement.
I blame Pinkbike. They always succeed in getting the muppets all riled-up. People really do believe whatever they read, it's amazing.

74/75-deg STA is proper for bikes racing WC cross-country, where pedaling efficiency is quite literally paramount, but all of a sudden it's blasphemy if found on a trail bike.

Makes perfect sense.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
blame our favourite stiff styleless hurdy gurdy goon Chris Porter

Has custom geo frame made

Still runs the saddle pushed forwards past the limit of retardation.

Last edited:

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Weight distribution should still be slightly rear of centre even on flat terrain. You're still moving that bicycle forwards at speed
Why should it not be 50 50. So a small movement of the upper body can shift from forward to rearward weight distribution.

On corner entry standing flat turn i bet you there's a point where you signifigantly exceed 50% front weight

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Ok

move your BB forwards 170-200mm to be exactly in the centre of the wheelbase and report back on how awesome that feels to ride

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Ok

move your BB forwards 170-200mm to be exactly in the centre of the wheelbase and report back on how awesome that feels to ride

And ride standing perfectly vertical with your hands to your side to get your COG directly over the BB.

That does sound horrible.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
74/75-deg STA is proper for bikes racing WC cross-country, where pedaling efficiency is quite literally paramount, but all of a sudden it's blasphemy if found on a trail bike.

Makes perfect sense.
Well, a 75 degree XC bike seat angle is pretty much gonna be 75º when climbing. On a 150mm bike, it drops back to less, with sag and rearward weight bias for climbing. So if you want to climb with anything resembling the seat angle that is "proper for WC cross-country", you need to start off with a 78º angle.

The good news is - if you don't give a shit there's plenty of big brands bringing out trail and enduro bikes that still have 74-75 seat angles. Or better yet 77 degree seat angles that change to 63 once the saddle is at climbing position.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Something else to take into account is the difference between clipless and flats. I'm 100% flats these days which puts my feet ~2" farther forward, so the seat angle feels slacker right off the bat.

sundaydoug

Monkey
Jun 8, 2009
So if you want to climb with anything resembling the seat angle that is "proper for WC cross-country", you need to start off with a 78º angle.
I see. So after all these years we're just now learning this.

I wonder what took so long?

Oh right, bikes need to be sold.

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
That is only like 87°. I am holding out but cockpit adjustable seat tube angles. 95° uphill and 59° downhill.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I'm thankful I never need to ride a MTB on flat terrain.
Counter-intuitively, my trail/XC bike is slacker than my enduro bike and I don't really feel fussed by it mostly. For the enduro bike though a normal ride profile looks more like this, so I'd kinda prefer to not wreck my lower back by climbing with a silly seat angle.

Capture.PNG

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
That's where I'm at.

Capra to Meta was a welcome change for climbing steep dirt.

Counter-intuitively, my trail/XC bike is slacker than my enduro bike and I don't really feel fussed by it mostly. For the enduro bike though a normal ride profile looks more like this, so I'd kinda prefer to not wreck my lower back by climbing with a silly seat angle.

View attachment 153675

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

View attachment 153675
That kind of goes back to the old thing where you need some seriously steep and nasty terrain to make the most out of an enduro/DH type bike. I like those steep descents, but I’d be lying if I said most of my rides look like that. I immediately thought of deep valleys in WA and BC.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
That's where I'm at.

Capra to Meta was a welcome change for climbing steep dirt.
The new Meta TR and AM models look spot on for winching back up. I'm sort of toying with the idea of getting a 29er for racing next year, but I have legs like a dachshund so I'm wary of a dual wagon wheeler. Commencal did a mullet option on their 29er DH bike so I'm hoping they do the same for the Metas. Otherwise, will just stick to lil wheels.

Last edited:

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
The new Meta TR and AM models look spot on for winching back up. I'm sort of toying with the idea of getting a 29er for racing next year, but I have legs like a dachshund so I'm wary of a dual wagon wheeler. Commencal did a mullet option on their 29er DH bike so I'm hoping they do the same for the Metas. Otherwise, will just stick to lil wheels.
I'm 179cm with a 78cm inseam and wasn't sure about the 29er rear. I smacked myself with the rear tire off jumps several times the first few weeks but after some geo tweaks that's not an issue anymore.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Circling back, I wound up digging the Specialized Power Arc Expert. There's 3 versions of the Power Arc, but for some reason only the middle level Expert version has the tail farther forward on the rails. The Fizik Thar had the position right, but it felt like I was sitting on a 2x4.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Interesting. I picked up a couple of closeout Astute saddles that I will be trying on the MTB eventually, but for now I still have the THAR, which I never really loved (aside from the position). Weird that the expert version has less setback than the others- I thought that the only difference in trim levels was rail composition. There is a difference between the power Arc and "power" saddles, so could that be it?

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Interesting. I picked up a couple of closeout Astute saddles that I will be trying on the MTB eventually, but for now I still have the THAR, which I never really loved (aside from the position). Weird that the expert version has less setback than the others- I thought that the only difference in trim levels was rail composition. There is a difference between the power Arc and "power" saddles, so could that be it?
Both the Power and Power Arc have separate levels ($/$$/$$$). If you look at all of them only that one model has the change in position.