Quantcast

Safari vs Firefox

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I see that Firefox 1.5 came out, and people are saying it's great, but does anyone know why there would be a reason to switch? Does it do Autofill or block pop ups and/or pop unders?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
It's pretty good about blocking popups/unders.

Yes, it does autofill.

I like Firefox. Don't use Safari so I can't directly compare the two, but Firefox just seems intuitive to me. Everything works just like I'd make it work if I wrote the program, and it's fast.

Tabbed browsing is teh win.

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
I like 'em both, and use both all the time for various reasons.

Though the Microsofties will feel vindicated when I say the following; I still use Safari as my primary browser because of it's tight integration with OS X. Downloaded pages automatically get Spotlighted, etc...

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
I have firefox and safari on my computer because for some reason all of the webpages from my university aren't compatible with safari. I have v. 1.0.7. i hate it. i get pop ups and unders, no spell check while i type. i tried to get a plug in for it and it would only work if you were running linux.

i really like safari. i only use firefox when i have to register for class.

Trainwreck

Turbo Monkey
Aug 10, 2005
Med. to Well-Done in Phx
According to Mozilla, Firefox 1.5 has faster browser navigation, an automated update feature and improved popup blocking and removal of personal data. Nothing too earth shattering.

I've been using the betas which seem to work well but will go with the upgrade as this is my primary browser.

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Safari is the best browser on the market in my opinion.

I use Firefox for old/crappy/microsoft sites that block, or won't work properly in Safari, and for debugging Javascript/CSS (Firefox has some nice plugins for that). But for day to day, gotta go with Safari, if not because it's the best, because it's so well integrated with OSX.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
binary visions said:
It's pretty good about blocking popups/unders.

Yes, it does autofill.

I like Firefox. Don't use Safari so I can't directly compare the two, but Firefox just seems intuitive to me. Everything works just like I'd make it work if I wrote the program, and it's fast.

Tabbed browsing is teh win.
Safari=Tabbed browsing

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
I've been using Safari since it came out and don't have any reason to switch. If it ain't broken, don't fix it! (I heard that somewhere...)

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
macko said:
I've been using Safari since it came out and don't have any reason to switch. If it ain't broken, don't fix it! (I heard that somewhere...)
Yea, I think I'll stay with Safari.

You had me at hello:

:rolleyes:

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
Firefox is primary. i have to keep IE on my computer though, 'cause a lot of the school's sites do not like Firefox. annoying. I have Opera, as well, but have stopped using it. it was nice for a while, being black and all, but it just became annoying. wish i could get Firefox to have a darker theme.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I tried Safari on my mom's iMac over the holiday and installed Firefox in about an hour later. It seemed to hang when loading pages and was overall slower it seemed compared to Firefox. Bookmark management was funky too, but I didn't use it for very long.

I've been using Firefox for a while now and I'm very happy with it.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Like most everyone else in this forum on Mac it seems, I use Safari as my primary browser, and Firefox as a secondary. Safari's integration with OSX is awesome, it's fast, tabbed browsing is really nice, the RSS feedfinder is handy, and it looks GREAT. The anti-aliasing of text, form objects like drop-downs and buttons, and the smooth scrolling of a page are top-notch.

Firefox gets used mainly when a page doesn't work in Safari. It seems like Safari is so DOM compliant or something that it doesn't like sloppily coded sites. Also, it seems that certain WYSIWYG editors don't work in Safari, or work much better in Firefox. But, Firefox has clunky scrolling, which for some reason bugs the bejesus out of me, and I just think Safari "looks" better - it displays objects and text better to me.

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
It seems like Safari is so DOM compliant or something that it doesn't like sloppily coded sites.
Yes, this is part of the problem. Safari is designed to work EXACTLY according to specs, so poorly written code does not work properly in it. It's a common misconception that this is a fault in the browser...but really, Safari 2.0 is flawless, it's the page that is wrong. It's the first to pass several benchmark tests for browsers, and to this day is the only one that passes the Acid2 test (CSS compliance).

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Ridemonkey said:
Yes, this is part of the problem. Safari is designed to work EXACTLY according to specs, so poorly written code does not work properly in it. It's a common misconception that this is a fault in the browser...but really, Safari 2.0 is flawless, it's the page that is wrong.
Ahh...that explains it.

(f8ck!! back to the drawing board...)

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Ridemonkey said:
Yes, this is part of the problem. Safari is designed to work EXACTLY according to specs, so poorly written code does not work properly in it. It's a common misconception that this is a fault in the browser...but really, Safari 2.0 is flawless, it's the page that is wrong. It's the first to pass several benchmark tests for browsers, and to this day is the only one that passes the Acid2 test (CSS compliance).
I love safari.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Fraser and Safari, sittin' in a tree...
K-I-S-S-I-N-G
First comes love, then comes marriage,
Then comes a slickly coded, light weight, CSS compliant browser with a French accent and governmentally subsidized healthcare in a baby carriage.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Ridemonkey said:
It's a common misconception that this is a fault in the browser...but really, Safari 2.0 is flawless, it's the page that is wrong.
From a technical perspective, this is correct.

From a usability standpoint, it's wrong wrong wrong.

What's better, an MP3 player that will reject your MP3 because there are corruptions in the file, or an MP3 player with some fault tolerance that will still play your file despite minor glitches?

The answer is that the second player is better. Period. From a technical standpoint, the first player is rejecting the incorrect file for valid reasons, but the end user shouldn't have to suffer because of it. I'm a little astounded that this is a defended flaw, actually - this is what the world would be like if engineers ran everything. Anything not to spec would be immediately rejected out of hand :rolleyes:. Normal people don't care if the page is scripted perfectly, they just care about the end result.

It does make it an excellent benchmark to determine if your page is compliant, though.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
So....... what is all this integration with OSX you speak of? I am a Firefox user just because that is what I am used to. Isn't one of Windoze fatal Flaws that IE is so tightly integrated with the OS? So whats the deal with Safari and OSX?

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
binary visions said:

What's better, an MP3 player that will reject your MP3 because there are corruptions in the file, or an MP3 player with some fault tolerance that will still play your file despite minor glitches?

The answer is that the second player is better. Period. From a technical standpoint, the first player is rejecting the incorrect file for valid reasons, but the end user shouldn't have to suffer because of it. I'm a little astounded that this is a defended flaw, actually - this is what the world would be like if engineers ran everything. Anything not to spec would be immediately rejected out of hand :rolleyes:. Normal people don't care if the page is scripted perfectly, they just care about the end result.

It does make it an excellent benchmark to determine if your page is compliant, though.

Making adjustments for sloppiness is the American way!

:think:

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
binary visions said:

The end who?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
stinkyboy said:
Making adjustments for sloppiness is the American way!
Maybe, but total intolerance of faults is just plain stupid :rolleyes:

How would you like an English teacher rejecting your whole paper because of a typo? Would you like to fail a driving test because you signaled 180ft before a turn instead of 200ft? Are you going to tell your mom that you can't accept her Christmas present this year because the bow wasn't centered and there was a crease in the paper?

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
binary visions said:
Are you going to tell your mom that you can't accept her Christmas present this year because the bow wasn't centered and there was a crease in the paper?

Yes.

She can come back in January when she gets it right.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
BigMike said:
You do know that 5.2.3 is the most recent version for MACS right?
I know, it's just funny they even bother to compare. EI on a mac is a total dog. (in my experience anyway)

D_D

Monkey
Dec 16, 2001
UK
binary visions said:

The answer is that the second player is better. Period.
Even if it reduces battery life?
Even if it increases binary size pushing out other features?
Even if it makes the code base so bloated and confusing bugs that effect sound quality are not fixed because nobody wants to wrestle with it?
Even if it needs a beefier processor pushing up the price?

There are plenty of advantages for the user if a browser uses a much simpler, leaner and faster layout engine.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
D_D said:
Even if it reduces battery life?
Even if it increases binary size pushing out other features?
Even if it makes the code base so bloated and confusing bugs that effect sound quality are not fixed because nobody wants to wrestle with it?
Even if it needs a beefier processor pushing up the price?

There are plenty of advantages for the user if a browser uses a much simpler, leaner and faster layout engine.
Firefox is fast, reasonably bug free, compact and free to download.

And it'll render imperfectly scripted pages.

There's a happy medium, and frankly, most of the population would much rather err on the side of the browser being bloated and more buggy than have to figure out what to do when they visit a page and it won't display. They know what to do when the browser crashes, but most of 'em don't know what to do, or even that they CAN do anything, when a page won't load.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
binary visions said:
Firefox is fast, reasonably bug free, compact and free to download.

And it'll render imperfectly scripted pages.

There's a happy medium, and frankly, most of the population would much rather err on the side of the browser being bloated and more buggy than have to figure out what to do when they visit a page and it won't display. They know what to do when the browser crashes, but most of 'em don't know what to do, or even that they CAN do anything, when a page won't load.

OK, i'll bite. What CAN we do when a page won't load? (if you say download the page source and go through the code for the error i'm gonna :nuts: you :D)