Quantcast

sag question

eddiegold

Chimp
Nov 25, 2004
quick question for you guys. I've just got a 450lb spring for my pdc and iam unsure on how to check the sag. When iam not sitting on the bike the spring measures about 156mm when i sit on it i measure it at about 138mm does this sound like the right amount of sag. Or iam going about this all wrong:bonk:
thanks

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
8 percent I think actually.

Your spring is too damn hard. get a 400, call it a day.

depending on use, 25-35% is average for sag, with some riders going to 50%.

dsotm

Monkey
Jul 21, 2006
WRJ, VT
You're also supposed to only measure the change in the actual stroke length of the spring to find a percentage, not the length of the spring. The PDC 825 has a 2.75" stroke shock or 68mm. So, you have about 23% sag. Try a lighter spring to give you between 25% and 35% sag.

DraVen

Chimp
Jul 2, 2006
Sac.
now you all have me thinking i weigh about 255#'s and i ride a 05 stinky with a 5th element shock that has 2.75 stroke and 450#spring.... and i was fixing to order a 600# spring and was wondering if that is the right rate spring i should get...

P.S. the stock shock was 8.5 ItoI this one is 8.75 and i have no clearance problems

eddiegold

Chimp
Nov 25, 2004
thanks for replys, i can back the preload off as as i have it preloaded to the maximum amount going by the zocchi manual. I weigh about 195lb last time i checked, i've been running a 500 since i had the bike and only changed because i saw this ti one on ebay.
Off to les arcs in the french alps on saturday so just getting the bike prepped:biggrin:

stinky6

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
Monroe
thanks for replys, i can back the preload off as as i have it preloaded to the maximum amount going by the zocchi manual. I weigh about 195lb last time i checked, i've been running a 500 since i had the bike and only changed because i saw this ti one on ebay.
Off to les arcs in the french alps on saturday so just getting the bike prepped:biggrin:
you should only run one turn of preload or its hard on the shock

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
What kind of shock? I remember when the 5th's came out on the newish M1s, people were running them easily with 50% sag because of the bottom out adjustment.

I think I'm running about 35-40% sag. If I bottom out once or twice on a run, I find that ok.