Quantcast

sag

Enduro

Monkey
Jul 3, 2002
A country with no mountains
how much sag do you run when (hardcore :D) trailriding (on 4"-6" bikes)?

Fox Shox manuals say 25% while Manitou says you can run up to 45% sag

Forks are all 25% sag max in the owners manuals

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Depends on the shock. Platform shocks use more sag. And different types of riding require different amounts of sag.

That's almost like asking "what's the best tire?" :D

MikeOK

Monkey
Nov 29, 2002
twelve
Depends on the bike, too. Plus depends on what kind of riding you are doing. The manual is just a guide. For XC you want less sag, for more efficiency, for DH or hucking you want more sag, so there's more travel for the wheel to move down into holes, etc, and smooth out the ride and give you more control. Most people run too little sag until they see the light...

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Hey Mike how's the Yeti running? I might be coming through your area in the middle of Feb on my way to Tucson, if the weather's good we should try and get together for a ride.

MikeOK

Monkey
Nov 29, 2002
twelve
Echo - it's turned out to be my favorite xc bike yet. I just got back from a 3 hour ride in the 30 degree weather. If you come let me know and we'll plan a big ride. We have several good epics within a couple hours of my home plus 3 or 4 good places within an hour or less. Let me know and we'll hook up, I would like to see that new Blur anyway...

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Well I'll be on the way to a 24 hour race, so I don't wanna do a crazy epic, the 24 hour is gonna be hard enough as is :D

Enduro

Monkey
Jul 3, 2002
A country with no mountains
Originally posted by Echo
Depends on the shock. Platform shocks use more sag. And different types of riding require different amounts of sag.

That's almost like asking "what's the best tire?" :D
I have Specialized Enduro 2001, 4,6" travel, Fox Vanilla 165mm shock.