Quantcast

Saint 810 brake pads

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Are saint 810 brake pads different from XT's? Shimano just sent me a set of resin pads to replace the semi-metallic that came on my session (which resonated with the frame and caused the entire bike to shake violently), and they don't list the 810's as compatible. They're the newer XT servo wave m775 pads.

Are they the same or different?

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
The Saint caliper is a 4-piston design, with much larger pads...sounds like they sent the wrong pad. Should be pretty apparent which it is, so maybe check to make sure it's not mis-labeled?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
The sintered pads have been great for me in the 810s, always been a big fan of the shimano sintered pads (IMO the alternatives like Avid / Goodridge / EBC etc glaze a whole lot easier). No resonating / shuddering / noise here... maybe it's an alignment or rotor issue?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
The session issue is pretty widely known...causes are not. I'll bet he's tried facing and tightening and aligning and everything else.

Maybe they meant to send you XT 4 pot pads? I had heard those were similar, but can't confirm.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Nah the new saint pads are bigger than XT 4-pots (as are the caliper pistons) and a different shape. Fair call on the session issue.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Not trying to call you out- just saying. I've heard lots of people complain about the sessions and howling saints...odd that it's those two. I have 810s on my sunday and it's quiet besides an overheated moan at the end of a tough dusty run.

Maybe it's something to do with the ABP pivot tolerances...most brakes are directly attached to the same frame member as the axle.

Maybe some automotive anti-squeel on the back of the pads? I tried that on my hopes.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Thanks for the confirmation! I was pretty fuggin sure they were the wrong pads, but I wanted somebody to tell me that before I called shimano.

Shimano is cool though, they've got my back, they're getting me setup with the proper saint resin pads (which are not available yet, but should be available at some point here). Big ups to shimano, and these are the best brakes I've ever ridden. Going to be bummed if I can't get this howl to disappear

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
Good stuff...I had heard they were team only, previously. What are the advantages to resin vs. sintered, outside of noise?
Power goes up, but so does wear. For the 810s though, I'm sure most people wanted them so they would be more quiet. It's not like they lack power.

As far as the ABP thing, I remember Bike tested the Fuel (Remedy?) saying it had a rear brake howl that couldn't be fixed...

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Good stuff...I had heard they were team only, previously. What are the advantages to resin vs. sintered, outside of noise?
The shimano resin pads have usually sucked to be honest (in my experience..), a lot of people might remember swapping the resin pads in the XT's out for the sintered ones and getting a noticeable performance increase. The 810 is a powerful brake though so it might not be as big a deal.

I guess if there's a noise issue though, there's nothing you can really do. It does make me wonder if the pad compound change will actually fix the problem though??

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
The shimano resin pads have usually sucked to be honest (in my experience..), a lot of people might remember swapping the resin pads in the XT's out for the sintered ones and getting a noticeable performance increase. The 810 is a powerful brake though so it might not be as big a deal.

I guess if there's a noise issue though, there's nothing you can really do. It does make me wonder if the pad compound change will actually fix the problem though??
Both trek and shimano seemed to think it was likely that running 50/50 resin/semi metallic fixed it most of the time, and running full resin was even more likely.

If it doesn't work, I'll sell the brakes, and buy a set of codes. Hopefully I can make em work though, these brakes are so far and away better then any of the high end brakes (ones/codes/aces/hopes) I've ever ridden. We'll see.