Quantcast

Saint BB replacement

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Im not sure if the saint size is the same, but I've put these in my XT/LX cranks, they work great. They are bigger than OEM and pretty cheap to boot. You have to knock out the old bearings and press-in the new, but anyone who has experience with bearings can usually do this (I did just fine).

They also sell BBs, but if you just need bearings:

http://enduroforkseals.com/id182.html

Last edited:

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
get a hope ceramic there a bit pricey but they last for ever and run so sweet. Will outlast the saint one by a few times over and pay for its self

sundaydoug

Monkey
Jun 8, 2009
Which Saint cranks do you have? I would be careful of using something other than a Saint BB if you have the M810/M815 cranks due to the spindle size. They're not common, but I know CRC has them.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Don't use a road BB. They're different.

I second the Enduro bearings. I've been running a set in some RF cups for a couple years and they're still in great shape.

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
I run the RACEFACE diabulos cranks on my sunday
can I just replace the bearings?
how?

thanks

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
What's different about the road BBs?
They're actually usable, just not ideal. Each cup is 1.25mm wider, so if you use on on a 73mm shell bike with no spacers, for example, total width is the same but the chainline is 1.25mm inboard of where it should be.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I run the RACEFACE diabulos cranks on my sunday
can I just replace the bearings?
how?

thanks
It's real hard. Buy the bearings from Enduro-fork-seals, then punch out the old bearings, and press in the new ones.

JimLad

Monkey
Sep 23, 2009
Whistler
Funnily enough the bearings in my XT bb have started to wear out too and I was wondering which ones to replace them with. I've been running it without the plastic tube because I never had one (got the cups with the cranks that I bought second hand but unused).

So now question is to drop £15-£25 on bearings, or get a new bb which will have a plastic tube. Does it make much of a difference to how long the bearings will last?

roel_koel

Monkey
Mar 26, 2003
London,England
Funnily enough the bearings in my XT bb have started to wear out too and I was wondering which ones to replace them with. I've been running it without the plastic tube because I never had one (got the cups with the cranks that I bought second hand but unused).

So now question is to drop £15-£25 on bearings, or get a new bb which will have a plastic tube. Does it make much of a difference to how long the bearings will last?
you can easily obtain the Shimano BB-70 HT2 bottom bracket for £25-30 'street price' from bike dealers, its a good tough unit with decent enough sealing and should last 12-18 mths even in the UK climate

the plastic tube is important because it prevents water and mud falling down the seatube and attacking the bearing seals from the inside lip of the bearing cup, the tube has rubber o-rings at either end to seal the interface with the bearing cups

the amount of times I open up a customer's bike in our workshop and muddy water is pouring out of the bottom bracket shell once I have removed the crankset = you see why the plastic tube is important ;)