Quantcast

Saint crank users with bashguards

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
These are the latest incarnation of saints, just came out like 5 minutes ago.

Any of you guys having problems with the chain getting in between the ring and the guard?

The mounting tabs on these cranks are pretty thick, thicker than the cranks I just took off. There's definitely enough space for the chain to sit in there (and it has). Gamut guard. WTF is up with that? I'm either grinding the guard or getting another guide. Never an issue on older saint cranks or the srammich ones I've run with the same guide.

Last edited:

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
Kind of disappointing with the lack of compatibility between chain rings, guides, and cranks. I had issues with my E13 cranks, Renthal ring, and E13 SRS guide w/bash. I ended up taking my guide to the grinder, no more issues. I would do that before I buy a new one. You shouldn't have to take off enough material that it would decrease structural integrity. Grind that bitch

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Just figured it out.

The ring that comes with the cranks is offset. Weird. But seriously.

soooo........if you want to run new saint cranks with a bash dependent chainguide......gotta use that saint ring.

You should see the stupid female chainring 'plates' they come with instead of female bolt ends. Definitely can't use them with a bashguard.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I guess most people (or at least a lot of people) are running bash-less guides. Probably not a problem with those.

I have no emotional connection to dh chainrings so it's not that big of a deal.

It is kind of wierd though. I suppose it's kinda worth it to get thicker tabs. Although I don't know if crank tab thickness has ever been an issue in my life.

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
I went bonkers when I saw Renthal came out with a mtb line, so I definitely have an attachment to mine haha but yea everyone seems to be running a taco style setup these days. I would too if I had the money, but my SRS is just fine. What if you wanted to run a ring with a different amount of teeth than the one provided?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I went bonkers when I saw Renthal came out with a mtb line, so I definitely have an attachment to mine haha but yea everyone seems to be running a taco style setup these days. I would too if I had the money, but my SRS is just fine. What if you wanted to run a ring with a different amount of teeth than the one provided?

They make a 34, 36, and 38t setup. But rings like renthal and e-13 go out of their way to be mechanically correct whereas shimano just decided tab thickness was a solution in need of a problem.....and in the process negated an existing manufacturing standard. I guess that gets to be a problem.

There are plenty of people out there (and I'm one of them) who deliberately run bash/roller guides. We have our reasons. I think we just got the finger a lil bit.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I bent the fvck out of the chainring tabs on a set of OG Saints, so I guess there's some cause for them to beef those things up. That said, I also bent one of the arms on said OG Saints, so I'm pretty clearly just a total hack.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
I'm running an SRS+ (LG1+Bash?) there's more space, but the Shimano chainring's teeth alone seem to keep the chain where it's at. I had been using an e13 crankset with it, which didn't stop a couple of derails, and since the spider and tabs bent on me (JRA of course) I decided the Saints with their burly tabs were happiness. (Mechanically correct? Mechanically bent, and heavier than the saints.)

The new Shimano chainguide looks nice tho, and if that bash could be acquired seperatly, the hybrid guides would be all set.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i'm trying to remember off hand exactly which year saint cranks i have (second gen, when they switched to the gold lettering). I have a gamut on them, and because of the thickness of the tabs gamut actually made a bashgaurd specifically for saint cranks.

Verskis

Monkey
May 14, 2010
Tampere, Finland
Although I don't know if crank tab thickness has ever been an issue in my life.
Once you get a bike with the bottom bracket height you have always dreamt of, the crank tabs will be an issue. At least I was regularly bashing my bashring into things when I was riding a Jamis Diablo with crazy low bb height, resulting in cracked tabs (and bashrings).
The pedals/crank ends also took a beating like never before on that bike. I'm much happier on my current medium bb height bike (Kona Operator), although the optimal height could be somewhere in the middle, since now I (almost) never hit the pedals/crank ends/bash ring into the ground.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

I used to do this when I ran Gamut guides.
I'm trying to figure out what "this" is in that pic. You just facing the tabs down?

Once you get a bike with the bottom bracket height you have always dreamt of, the crank tabs will be an issue. At least I was regularly bashing my bashring into things when I was riding a Jamis Diablo with crazy low bb height, resulting in cracked tabs (and bashrings).
The pedals/crank ends also took a beating like never before on that bike. I'm much happier on my current medium bb height bike (Kona Operator), although the optimal height could be somewhere in the middle, since now I (almost) never hit the pedals/crank ends/bash ring into the ground.
How low was that thing?
I'm pretty happy with <13.5". And I've heard that forever. My pedals and cranks look no worse than when I had bikes over an inch higher. AND I run 170s :shocked:

;)

It makes sense to have thicker tabs on dh cranks. It's just weird I've never heard that or the offset ring mentioned.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
If my memory serves me right, the height was listed as 12.6" in the specs, and the actual measured height was even a wee bit lower than that.
Add to that a degressive rear suspension, and the BB was sailing low.
Whoa.

You think it would have been any better if the suspension had some ramp?

Sounds pretty awesome truthfully.

edit: wait, how can a bike be named after an east coast spot with such a low bottom bracket? Don't they know the roxxor situation over there? That would NEVER work.

Last edited:

Verskis

Monkey
May 14, 2010
Tampere, Finland
Whoa.

You think it would have been any better if the suspension had some ramp?

Sounds pretty awesome truthfully.
Maybe a little better if it wouldn't have been bottoming all the time, but even on flat corners where the suspension was not really loaded up it was impossible to pedal until the bike was completely straightened up. The bike was not that bad when not racing, but in the races it felt stupid not to be able to pedal except on start and finish line.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I'm trying to figure out what "this" is in that pic. You just facing the tabs down?

Yeah, I machined a recess on the tabs to get the bash guard to sit closer to the chainring. Seems like that is all you need. It was an easy job.

Are you going back to Whistler around Crankworx? I will be there again. It would be fun to do some runs and drink some beers if you are around.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Yeah, I machined a recess on the tabs to get the bash guard to sit closer to the chainring. Seems like that is all you need. It was an easy job.

Are you going back to Whistler around Crankworx? I will be there again. It would be fun to do some runs and drink some beers if you are around.

I know it didn't seem like but we weren't there for crankworx last year. We avoid that like the plague. Looking at late July/early August. I would gladly kick that back to overlap with you guys if at all possible. I gotta get shoulder pads if I'm going to ride around you too much though. ;)

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I know it didn't seem like but we weren't there for crankworx last year. We avoid that like the plague. Looking at late July/early August. I would gladly kick that back to overlap with you guys if at all possible. I gotta get shoulder pads if I'm going to ride around you too much though. ;)

I am going with work so I can't choose my dates. I figured you guys would try and avoid it. If you are around let me know.

We are trying to come back in the end of September with my friends from Champery but everyone is broke including me so I'm not sure if that will happen

Haha, that one was sick! Full committment. I was just trying to keep up.

Didn't Gamut make a Saint specific bash guard? I never had one but when I was machining my bash guards they (Juan, I think) said I needed one.

Last edited:

boylagz

Monkey
Jul 12, 2011
SF bay area
Sorry, I just wanna make sure, can the latest M825 crankset take a bash no problem? I have the Straitline Silent guide. Not sure if its like the X0 DH cranks, taco-style only. Thanks.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
These guides are designed to work with the saint cranks (old and new). I emailed MRP before buying one to confirm. Kinda odd they don't point out the compatibility on their website...

Works great BTW and has a bit of the old school system 1 look. Brings back good (and bad) memories!