Quantcast

Saint cranks help

pillete

Monkey
Mar 25, 2005
Long story, but does anybody knows if there is a way to run Saint 83 mm cracks on a 73mm bb shell?

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
If you have rickets, running heaps of spacers on the non-drive side will maintain your chainline and still feel normal.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Long story, but does anybody knows if there is a way to run Saint 83 mm cracks on a 73mm bb shell?
Ok, I will actually ask.....Whya re you wanting to do this?

Yes, there is a specific and proper way to do this, it is what we do when setting up a Demo8, or other bikes that have either an offest rear end, or a 150 on a 73MM BB. RF makes a specific spacer for this, so do some other companies. What bike is this on? What purpose do you with to accomplish by doing so?

pillete

Monkey
Mar 25, 2005
Ok, I will actually ask.....Whya re you wanting to do this?

Yes, there is a specific and proper way to do this, it is what we do when setting up a Demo8, or other bikes that have either an offest rear end, or a 150 on a 73MM BB. RF makes a specific spacer for this, so do some other companies. What bike is this on? What purpose do you with to accomplish by doing so?
I have a socom which is 73mm BB and I am currently building a hardtail.
I know I will be replacing the socom with a 951 very soon, so rather than buying a crankset for the hardtail, and having to buy another crankset for the 951(83mm BB) I was thinking on getting a Saint 83mm and run it on the socom in the meantime

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
I have a socom which is 73mm BB and I am currently building a hardtail.
I know I will be replacing the socom with a 951 very soon, so rather than buying a crankset for the hardtail, and having to buy another crankset for the 951(83mm BB) I was thinking on getting a Saint 83mm and run it on the socom in the meantime
Well that makes sense. Youll end up with a 56MM chainline though. Go to your LBS, order up some of the Race face or other 5m spacers. they are designed just exactly for running 83MM cranks on a 73MM shell bike. This was originally done to compensate for Specialized and their wonderfull offset rear end.

So yeah its quite possible, and easy to do. just know that you run the possiblity of ruinging a chainring, premature wearing of chains and your cassette, but its not super likely to happen.

You could also order up the 150 drop outs for the socom, then this would actually be the proper setup to be running.