Quantcast

Saint cranks on a Demo 9?

jimw

Monkey
Aug 10, 2004
Santa Cruz, CA
So I finally broke one of the FSA Gravity cranks on my '04 Demo 9. This bike takes a beating, so I figured I'd splurge on something bombproof - I picked up a set of the new Saint cranks.

Well, either I'm retarded or these cranks may not work with this frame.

Here's the problem. The BB shell on the Demo 9 is 73mm. But if I use the 73mm size of the Saint crank, the crank arms come way too close to the wide chainstays on the frame, just barely clearing them - and I hit my heels on the stays when pedaling. It looks like the Gravity cranks had an 83mm BB (I didn't do the initial install), and spacers were applied to the cups to make it fit the 73mm frame shell. The MegaExo Quad BB cups have long threads on both sides, so there is still a significant amount of thread engaged in the BB, so stripping out the BB threads hasn't been an issue.

So I swapped out the 73mm Saints for the 83mm version. Problem is, if I put the same amount of spacers on as before to make it fit as if the frame had an 83mm BB shell, then there's only like 1/4" or so of threads sticking out on the Saint BB cups. Also, the left side BB cup has significantly shorter threads than the drive side, so the only way to get the correct width is to apply most of the spacers to the drive side... so now the cranks are offset, in addition to having not much thread insertion on either BB cup.

Now the only thing I can think of to try is to use the old FSA BB and try to rig that to work with the Saint cranks. I figure this might work, but I may have to ditch the plastic tube that normally connects the two BB cups - is this a big deal? Doesn't seem to serve much purpose... This is the MegaExo Quad BB, so each external BB cup is twice as wide as a normal BB cup, so I suppose I might be able to ditch some of the spacers and still get it to work with the spindle on the 83mm Saint crank.

It seems that this frame is a little weird in that the BB shell is 73mm, but the chainstays stick pretty far out, making them work better with cranks desinged around an 83mm shell. The bike initially came with a Truvativ ISIS BB, but in that case the BB itself had I think a 128mm spindle, and the crank arms themselves angled out to the side a lot more, providing plenty of clearance. I think that the Gravity cranks probably would have had a similar clearance issue if they had originally been installed with a 73mm BB.

FYI the rear end spacing is 150mm.

Any ideas? Anyone else run into a similar problem? (Or maybe this is just a common thing and I've never run into it because I never paid attention before! :))

jimw

Monkey
Aug 10, 2004
Santa Cruz, CA
Just found this thread talking about a similar issue. Looks like I need to get the RaceFace Retro Kit to convert from a 73mm BB to 83mm... I assume the main thing in this kit is *spindle* spacers? I can't see how it would work any other way. So the BB cups are mounted as if you're putting on a 73mm crankset, then you use spindle spacers to offset the crank to match where it would be if it were actually an 83mm BB?

Another weird thing... at least on the Demo 9, the nut for the main pivot bolt is *right* next to the BB shell on the non-drive side. This makes it so that you CAN'T screw an external BB cup on there without some kind of thin spacer that both has clearance for the nut, and pushes the BB cup out far enough to clear the nut when tightened. Or you file part of the nut off for clearance. Looks like the old MegaExo BB cup on that side had a couple "specially-filed" spacers for this purpose. Joy.

Any other suggestions welcome.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Unless you are super super stuck on saint cranks, race face diablous cranks will not snap on you. I run them on my demo 9 with zero problems. You just have to set them up the correct way. If you have any questions pm me or just write it here.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Same set up as IrideMTB and on 2 demos, i have the truvativ gigapipe holzfeller set up, and the raceface diablous, the truvativ gigapipe is a 68/73 with a ****128**** spindle instead of a 113. the diablous have that converter package and ill be honest, i hate them, super hard to work on, and not easy to set up chainguides with. however, u wont kill them. If it matters i have an extra truvativ BB i can sell u if u decide to go cheap and light.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Find some spindle spacers or make them yourself (and run the 83 saints). Works perfectly. Boxxer/Pike steerer offcuts will work fairly well if you have nothing better, just get them dead straight if you can.

First I've heard of external BB's not fitting that frame, are you sure? I'm sure you can figure something out there.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Find some spindle spacers or make them yourself (and run the 83 saints). Works perfectly. Boxxer/Pike steerer offcuts will work fairly well if you have nothing better, just get them dead straight if you can.

First I've heard of external BB's not fitting that frame, are you sure? I'm sure you can figure something out there.
What he said, but not just because of crank arm clearance, thats actually the proper way to setup this bike. I know it has a 73MM shell, but it either has a 150 rear, or an offset 135. you need the 83's to get your chailine right. Spindle spacers are the way to go, spacing out the BB cups more than two BB spacers worth is just asking for frame damage.