Quantcast

Saint derailleur question

blacky

Monkey
Nov 1, 2001
sedona,az
can i use a regular rear derailleur (xt) on a saint rear hub? or do i have t use the saint derailleur?

and can i use my 6 bolt avid juicy 7's or do i need to switch to shimano brakes too?

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I think this has a lot more to do with your bike.

I have a turner highline with outlaw wheelset. With the supplied turner axle I can use a saint derailer, or I can use the removable derailer hanger (which bolts to the axle) and use a conventional derailer. Currently I use the saint, which is kind of like the terminator, cause you can ride the bike through buildings and the derailer comes out fine. Before I got the saint I just used an old damaged XT that I had (using the removable hanger).

The Highline comes with the axle, and the removable derailer hanger. If you're going to run a conventional derailer, you use the "hanger".

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
If you have a saint hub, you'll need a centerlock to IS adapter, or a centerlock rotor. There's no reason your brakes won't work, the rotor just won't bolt on without the adapter.

As for the derailleur, I'm fairly certain you can use any derailleur with the hub as long as you can bolt the hub to your frame somehow. I know the stock setup used the Saint derailleur to attach the setup to your frame. The newer stuff bolts to your derailleur hanger, so there should be no compatibility issues.

RayB

Monkey
Jan 31, 2008
Seattle
Yes, you can run an XT (or any other) derailleur with a Saint hub -- both the M800 and newer M810 series.

Here's picture proof:

Saint M800-series rear hub + DT RWS axle + XT derailleur.

If you have a saint hub, you'll need a centerlock to IS adapter, or a centerlock rotor. There's no reason your brakes won't work, the rotor just won't bolt on without the adapter.
This is true if you're talking about the newer M810 Saint hubs. DT Swiss makes a pretty sweet standard centerlock >> IS 6-bolt adapter.

However, if you're using the older 1st-generation M800 Saint hubs, you must use Shimano's proprietary "OS" (oversized) centerlock rotors. Unfortunately, there is no such adapter to go from OS-centerlock to 6-bolt.

Hopefully this helps!

Cheers.

Last edited: