Quantcast

Saint M820 Pad Alternatives/Suggestions

dublindh

Chimp
Jun 22, 2008
Does anyone with the exception of superstar components provide pads at reasonable prices.
the current CRC price for the shimano is £26.99 per pair (inc. fins). seems extortionate for a pair of pads which will be needed to be changed a couple of times during a trip to the Alps. I'am aware superstar have 4 sets for 20gbp but have been recommended against them due to quality concerns.Obviously at that price they wont match up to OEM ones but are there any alternatives?
cheers

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I've heard a lot of people say that they couldn't tell a difference between fins and no fins on single pot shimano brakes. While I do wonder if that holds true for two pot setups, I can't fully understand ditching half the reason of running shimano brakes...

tl;dr you can save money by ditching the fins.

msaman

Chimp
Dec 6, 2012

yetihenry

Monkey
Aug 9, 2009
Whistler, BC
They had qc issues back in 09 when they were first introduced, they refunded me back then and I didn't run them again until my buddy had some and they seem identical to the ones sold as Goodridge, I haven't had power/life issues. Popped a new set in the other day and spent a day shuttling a wet, icey 19th hole in Squamish, no issues whatsoever. I really wouldn't be worried about them and the price is so much lower than the competition.

Even when using Shimano I ditched the fins and haven't had a problem. Heli drops with 6 hour descents to Peak to creek bike park laps. I believe the one way system of fluidic img through the caliper was a far bigger improvement over just the pads.