Quantcast

Saint pedals, how are they?

RoboS

Chimp
Sep 1, 2008
I have them 7 months (4 months riding). Only problem I had was that the pedal body was moving in/out and up/down on the axle. Problem was with 3 little bushings, which moved on the axle and allowed body to move. Took me 20 minutes to repair and it didn't happen since then. I had one of the first batches made, maybe they solved that later.

On the positive side, they grip well if you remove the shim from under of each pin. Pedals turn without friction and seems to seal well against dirt. I don't really feel the need to have wafer thin pedals, so thickness is OK for me.

nauc

Monkey
May 14, 2007
I have them 7 months (4 months riding). Only problem I had was that the pedal body was moving in/out and up/down on the axle. Problem was with 3 little bushings, which moved on the axle and allowed body to move. Took me 20 minutes to repair and it didn't happen since then. I had one of the first batches made, maybe they solved that later.

On the positive side, they grip well if you remove the shim from under of each pin. Pedals turn without friction and seems to seal well against dirt. I don't really feel the need to have wafer thin pedals, so thickness is OK for me.
how do you open them up? is there a hex bolt on the opposite side of the threaded side, or something? i cant tell from any of the pics ive seen

thanks

Last edited:

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
how do you open them up? is there a hex bolt on the opposite side of the threaded side, or something? i cant tell from any of the pics ive seen

thanks
Like all Shimano pedals, the axle and bearings are a unit that comes out on the inboard side. Once it is out, you can adjust the bearings, rebuild them, etc. I have a pair, but don't really have enough time on them to comment. I will say they are reasonably thin, have a great bearing system, and I agree that removing the washers from the pins makes them much grippier.

RoboS

Chimp
Sep 1, 2008
Also sign of early production batch on mine was that one pedal had thick gray grease in it and the other had very thin transparent/yellow grease, just like SlickHoney, or something.

To open them up you need to clamp pedal body and turn the bearing assembly out, its easy.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Mine are still going strong, no bent axles or anything. First thing you've got to do is remove the washer under the pin head, which nearly doubles the length of the pins. There's some slight play in the axle, but nothing too bad after months of riding.