Quantcast

saint shifter problem

Sonic Reducer

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
seattle worshington
my near new saint rear shifter is having issues. basically it is stuck in 2 gears. it seems like it has a broken return spring on the lever that lets out cable. i click the lever to downshift(pull cable) then it will let me upshift(let out cable) only one time, so i effectively have 2 gears. this is NOT a setup issue, i can tune derailleurs in my sleep. however i have never really had any issues with a shifter itself. is there anything I can do to fix this, and if not will I have much luck trying to warrantee it through shimano? and lastly, can I run one of my spare older style shifters with the saint derailleur, something like about a 2003 XT ie same cable throws? I'm pretty disappointed that a supposedly strong setup like saint would have issues like this with hardly any hours on it.

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
You shouldn't have any problems with warranty. Bring it back to your LBS and have them make a phonecall for you.

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
You can use any 9speed Shimano shifter with the new Saint derailleur.

Can you only shift one position total to pull cable? If you can shift from one end of the cassette to the other high to low I may have something to help.